Music Collection Appraisers

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by featheredfiend, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm interested in having my collection of Vinyl and CD's appraised, but not sure where to begin looking for someone who specializes in music collection appraisal services or how much it might cost to have it done...any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

(I live in northern New Jersey if that makes a difference in terms of referrals...)

Thanks!

2. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

You can appraise it yourself. Look up your records on Discogs & check sold copies on Ebay. You'll get a good idea on value

Dave likes this.
  3. featheredfiend

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback.

4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

eBay completed auctions.

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

What is the purpose of this appraisal? If it's for insurance or IRS purposes, it should be done by a registered appraiser who will charge you at least 10-15% of the value of your collection, but will be able to stand up in court with credentials and defend it if it ever came to that. There's probably someone registered with the American or International Society of Appraisers to do music memorabilia, certainly there are a lot who will do "personal property".

6. featheredfiend

Just interested in knowing what my collection is worth...I own about 2,500 CD’s, 900 LP’s, and a about 600 7” singles (90% with picture sleeves)...just want to know what it’s all worth.

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Then the easiest way is probably Discogs, as they have prior sales records for valuation and all you have to do is look up your various records and click "I have this".

lazydawg58 likes this.
  8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Start wth what you know or feel could be collectable, then the maybes then the rest.

9. featheredfiend

Thank you - I appreciate the suggestion!!

10. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

One of my local dealers uses Popsike, the other uses ebay completed auctions.

11. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I always wondered how appraisers worked. There are many factors when it comes to appraising an item. The low price it sold for. The high price it sold for. The condition it's in. Is it an item being sold in this area in this market? How many were made and how many still exist? I would imagine all these factors go into figuring out a value for the item.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.