Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, I’m just not buying it. A lot easier finding old US Apple copies of Abbey Road.

I must admit that months ago I purchased a NZ Apple copy of AR with -2/-1 matrix numbers from a local store. Every 4-5 months I weed LPs out of my collection and sell them to the same shop.

Are you with me??

Turns out the copy that I bought was mine originally! I remember why I got rid of it upon play!!

:crazy: :laughup:o_O

Loser!!!

Mister Charlie, MrRom92 and Chemguy like this.
  2. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

That's amazingly sensible! Was it Amazon?

Lewisboogie and George P like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If John is playing all the guitar parts in this track, it's his finest latter day Beatle moment as a guitarist, IMO. I don't know...those rhythm chops really sound like George to me.

Chemguy likes this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Paul: we should keep track of who played what on each song.

John: nah, 50 years later it will be really eff with people.

xybert likes this.
  5. Ern

Ern Senior Member

This again?!
    It's one guitar, and it's John.
    George on bass, Ringo on drums and Paul on piano.

905, Gila and man in the moon like this.
  6. arriano

arriano The California Kid

I thought John played guitar on the Anthology 3 version and piano on the Abbey Road version.

7. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Can I ask what was wrong with your NZ copy? I just bought a -2/-1 1969 from Australia. I thought the -2/-1 were the ones to grab.

8. faskenite

faskenite Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been done (long thread!) but I read Michael Fremer’s report that the ‘Deluxe’ digital box has bonus tracks in addition to those in the LP set (which I have). Does anyone one have information readily at hand about what extras are in the digital set that are not in the LP set?

9. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

They are the same

Lewisboogie and CraigBic like this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Nothing wrong with the sound. The LP was too noisy for my liking. Call it OCD.

imsjry likes this.
  11. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Sorry...but if that is Paul on Drums on Old Brown Shoe.....they never needed Ringo......that is not McCartney on the skins.

supermd, pantofis, Onder and 2 others like this.
  12. faskenite

faskenite Forum Resident

Memo to Mikey!

adm62 likes this.
  13. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Give me a break...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I gotta say that I really enjoy "The Long One" and especially hearing "Her Majesty" in between "Mean Mr Mustard" and "Polythene Pam". Dare I say I prefer it? Anyway, it really works in that position probably because the rest of the songs are more stripped-down.

15. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

I actually have even MORE noise on side 2 - it's unbearable in the quiet passages, like the opening piano of YNGMYM or GS - sounds like a small patch of fine sandpaper that the stylus is being dragged through every 1.8 seconds. :( Mine's going back if a cleaning doesn't resolve it.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If I'm taking your word for it then I repeat myself: John's finest latter day Beatle moment both as a rhythm guitarist and a lead guitarist.

17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, Amazon Canada.

Lewisboogie and fogalu like this.
  18. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Didnt Paul always go back and redo the bass line? To my ears, this is a McCartney bass-line. It's just my opinion and I am not claiming to know more than the book, it just seems so worked out, so McCartney.

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

That is a great story, Tommyboy!...and exactly what I would end up doing!

Lewisboogie and Tommyboy like this.
  20. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

On the Blu ray .. love how Her Majesty goes full circle. Starts with right rear, then hits every speaker till the left rear, in uniform order. Well thought out.

coffeetime likes this.
  21. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Just got it this afternoon. My biggest gripe so far is only that the vocals are so thrust to the center and accentuated that sometimes the melding with the music, like on the original, is lost, and the vocals seem too separate. But this is rare.

pantofis, DRM and SgtPepper1983 like this.
  22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I’m in NY as well so I definitely know how it can be! I do get excited just to see any UK stuff turn up. Uncommon, but still definitely do-able. I’d say vast majority of the time when I do see UK pressings, it’s blue boxes or blue box era pressings, and that stuff’s usually super clean. If you’re hunting 1st pressings that’s when you’re pretty much asking for the impossible…

Tommyboy likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My 1 LP has a consistant swoosh on side 2, noticeable during quieter times. Like, ah, the crickets, but here comes a street sweeper off in the distance. Damn. I think original mix LP from Blue Box is still better, but glad to give Beatles my money and buy this album for the 4oth time. Swoosh.

coffeetime and ted321 like this.
  24. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I've heard it on the CD so I'm relieved to hear it's not a fault. It does sound like a vinyl scratch but it's obviously a clapping sound or maybe a metronome.

DRM and Lewisboogie like this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, maybe not. It was off the top of my head - I know that in many countries, it’s not illegal to secretly record private conversations, but you can’t release the recordings to the public without violating privacy laws. No idea if it applies here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.