Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

I got my Monk's Dream Saturday and haven't opened it up yet. I gave a listen to my Sony reissue CD and it sounded great! So just wondering really, how much better the one-step can sound. I know it's very system dependent and what turntable, arm, cartridge etc. I've yet to open Portrait in Jazz or Monk's Dream, since I need to send in my Audio Desk Systeme cleaner for repair. The damn roller barrels stopped functioning!

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The best Santana III I've heard and only copy I've kept is the ARS (Germany). They also did great versions of Abraxas and Santana (first). I believe @AnalogJ thinks ARS Abraxas is a close second to the one step.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Blows away a first UK press certainly. A downside, it does highlight the variations in the recording and mixing quality so an inferior cut may be more homogeneous.

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Why?

5. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I was making a joke about how expensive they are.

6. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

“Mind blowing clarity” is a good description. I listened to the Impex pressing first, and thought it sounded fine. I couldn’t imagine more than a marginal improvement from the One Step.

Was I wrong! The instruments are so present it’s like you’re watching the musicians playing them. Uncanny. A new demo disc for my system.

7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I’ve got the s/t Santana on ARS.

It’s good. Not sure it is any better than my 360, tbh.

8. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

You won't choke on the price near as much after buying a few. It's like cooking the frog in water - turn the heat up slowly and he never knows he is being cooked. I call that analogy - Couldn't Stand the Water.

9. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So i don't know if anyone else saw the new email about upcoming Mofi releases but i see Iron Butterfly and In-a-gotta-da-vida is not going to be a upcoming One Step release. I'm a bit bummed but I'll take it anyway

10. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Thankfully they didn't make it 2 x 45 rpm and spread the titled song over two sides.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  11. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

If you look at the listing its listed as a double disc but when you go to the website its listed as a single disc.

12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Not a One Step. It will be a regular mofi release limited to 3000 copies.

13. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Forum Resident

What website is this? I can't find it.

Thanks!

14. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Conceivably, Mofi could do a 33-1/3 disc using the one-step process. I wonder if they've ever considered doing that. Maybe they could charge $75 for those.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  15. Sam

Sam Senior Member

True, it could easily be done that way, but that would negate the small but noticeable advantage of the 45 rpm speed. There is a sonic advantage with 45 rpm. Of course, I believe your point may be that the price would come down if it were just one piece of vinyl. It "should," but then again look at the AP issue of Hendrix in the UHQR format. That was still $100.

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I don't have the s/t album, but the ARS Abraxas is way better compared to the original I heard.

17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

"Way" better... that is impressive since I presume Kessler would have used a copy tape.

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

I have an original first US press of Abraxas, and the ARS.... the ARS is Distinctly better to my ears.

AnalogJ likes this.
  19. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Whats ARS?

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I realize the sonic advantage of 45 rpm, but I was thinking there are LPs with longer tracks that can't be broken up that would otherwise benefit from the one-step process. My hope would be that Mofi could save enough on producing a single disc and simplifying the packaging to bring the price down to a more reasonable level. In fact, maybe they could even make one-step the default process for their standard less-expensive LPs if they saved enough in costs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Anymore reviews on the Monk title?

AtlTrav likes this.
  22. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

It’s absolutely astounding. Wait at your own peril. In terms of this series, I’d put it second behind only Abraxas disc 1. It betters disc 2.

mpayan, RZangpo2 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yup. Doesn't really matter. There are other factors in addition to tape used.

Some think the UK plum/red label Atlantic of Led Zep II is the best out there, and it's from a 2nd generation copy.

FashionBoy and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  24. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Played #140 today. Shocking sound for something that was recorded so long ago. Everything had tremendous presence and impact.
    Also some very detailed low level information. I noticed on “bright Mississippi” what I first thought was some distortion in an other wise very clear recording. Turned out to be vocalizations made by Monk while playing.

I have had heard his vocalizations, albeit faint, on other performances but they are very present and easy to hear on this one!

TDurden and mpayan like this.
  25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

So what are the chances we get some truly new One Step(s) ? For example , stuff that hasn’t already been done a over and over again? Lol

mpayan likes this.