Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

It’s their philosophy, as per Miles: “Sam, Giles & I all understand that you know how to use a volume control and that without quiet you cannot have loud. This is our preferred delivery method.” (Referencing the move with TWA to include the unlimited vinyl master on the BD)

No reason why they’d go backwards and it’s clear there is no peak limiting on the Blu-ray as with White Album and unlike Peppers.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What's coming out next week? Sounds like AR has a decent chance at a second week at #1...

3. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Received my Target edition single vinyl LP and shirt this past Saturday, and because the past few days have been hectic, I'm getting to play it now while working.

So far, I'm loving it! It's riding that line between having everything that I'm used to hearing from the album, but also having some new elements audible that make it a new experience as well. I really like it!

A6mzero likes this.
  4. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

But the criteria was different, The Songtrack remix was intended to be audiophile, as good as it could be to complement the cinema re-release of the movie in a pre download/streaming age. The new remixes are for IPhones and ear buds and small, cheap speakers (hence the bass and vocal boosting) and an audience who are used to consuming things that way and to 21st century production techniques. They are trying, rightly or wrongly, successfully or unsuccessfully, to make the Beatles sound modern to a young, mainstream audience.

Mazzy and Bern like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would say that somewhere around 30% of new vinyl I buy has some slight warp. So I understand MD taking this position. I would take comfort in the fact that if at some point, you really need to have it flattened, you can ask someone with a Vinyl Flat to take care of it for you.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  6. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Abbey Road is set to debut at nr 3 in the US with album sales around 65 - 70k .

7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The entire set plus most of the Anthology Abbey Road stuff fits on 2cds in case anyone wants to make some discs for the car.

asdf35 and 905 like this.
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Good spot; I am surprised they missed 'Pepper' out.

mindgames likes this.
  9. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

maybe a silly question, but...I have on several boots Something w/ the long jam at the outro. Was that included? What happened to it if not?

Keith V likes this.
  10. beatleroadie

It's not included, and we don't know officially, why it wasn't included. It's like of the "Revolution (Take 20)" of this box set. A widely bootlegged outtake lots of fans would have loved to have in better quality that wasn't included in the set for unknown reasons.

11. MichaelArcane

MichaelArcane Purveyor of Terrible Opinions

I'd be interested in getting that version of it. I gave the Super Deluxe Edition a first listen last night, on headphones over Tidal.

I was overall very pleased with the remix. It sounds more full and 'modern' and the panning is very much to my liking over headphones now. The drums benefit immensely throughout. Toms sound much fuller and far less boxy; I imagine this is simply as good as it can get translating those old drum recordings through whatever mics they used at the time for it.

The cons are that due to the overall 'fullness' of the mix, there is less room everywhere and at time it does feel a bit crowded. And it does seem that it was mastered too loud AT TIMES. For the most part it is fine, but on some songs with a pretty wide dynamic range, it seems like it was mastered to account for the bottom 95% of the track, and at its crescendo it just exceeds its limit and becomes a loud, squashed mess. Probably where it stuck out the most to me was on Something. And then again on I Want You, although I don't mind it quite so much on that track.

These are nitpicks, and no mix or master is truly perfect...you can always find something to gripe about. In every instance where I found some fault with the mastering compression, that track benefited from the remix in other ways. And the beauty of it is, we still will always have the original versions when we prefer to hear it that way.

BUT, if there are digital versions on the box set that have vinyl masters, I might need to get it.

bhazen and recordromantic like this.
  12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

This is mentioned in the book. Effectively the jam was re-used by Lennon as the basis of Remember from his first solo album. Presumably that is why they chose not to include it.

13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Just letting it be known that i asked on his twitter and Sam Okell says it’s Paul drumming on Old Brown Shoe.

14. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Non-fill? Mine is actually a constant baked in rumble, my 2009 is a better pressing.

15. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Does he indeed.

I'm kinda reminded of the verse from Paul's Early Days...

"Now everybody seems to have their own opinion who did this and who did that
    But as for me I don't see how they can remember when they weren't where it was at..."

Lownote30 likes this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I would venture to say the vast majority of people don't give a flying hoot where the vocals are placed on any recording.

Only here.... :-popcorn:

Beatle Ed, Billy Budapest and Dean R like this.
  17. Apparently you are correct and there lies the problem. But I remember Yellow Songtrack sounding fabulous on CD in my car and traveling listing to my iPod, so it seems that the style could have been perfect here and now. But it wasn't meant to be....

ralph7109 likes this.
  18. beatleroadie

Remember should have been credited as lyrics by John Lennon, music by "Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starkey" then? :shh:

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Nor were the internet percussion / talent evaluation experts counting hi-hat taps. In this case, I'll go with the guy who was in the room with the raw tapes of the thing.

Question asked in a way that presented alternate evidence, question answered.

[​IMG]

supermd, slane, Binni and 11 others like this.
  20. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Hello there! Maybe that whole issue of George "wiping" John's rhythm guitar was just a theory by Lewisohn. Was this ever mentioned in earlier days? I'm going with Paul, George and Ringo on this one. With John sitting out... which he apparently did on the following number (Something) at the session. It's definitely not just the shuffle that Paul himself says he can't play, it's the fills, especially during the intro. Ron

J Alesait likes this.
  21. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Thanks for that info, but without him providing any new information as to how that was determined, does Sam saying that really decide the question?

22. Kim Olesen

You know what. I could just have kept what Sam stated for myself. But i chose not to, eventhough i have a hard time hearing that as Pauls drumming. So you can gloat or be thankful i bothered to report back.

23. Kim Olesen

I dunno. But i asked and that was what he said.

JamesD1957, Gila, Bern and 2 others like this.
  24. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Too much bass, in my opinion, just like the 2009 remaster. When "Erotica" by Madonna came out in 1992, I thought it was with new adventures in bass, it made me sea sick to listen to. So, 1992 has become the year of bass for me, I don't like a added "modern" bass groove on a 1969 recording.

25. beatleroadie

There must be some studio chatter on the session tape that is undeniable evidence that it is Paul playing drums. I think this is case closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.