Ian Hunter diagnosed with tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The club no one wishes to be a part of.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yes white noise is a must...helps immensely for night time relaxing and sleep.

Larry Mc likes this.
  3. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Pete Townshend has been living with tinnitus for over 50 years.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought that there is surgery one can do to fix it in many cases? Did I dream that? I’d hate to think about this in my dreams which would mean it’s really gotten pretty bad.

5. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

He did. He says as much in the statement on his website, which sounds very downbeat. It is obviously affecting him very deeply.

I am a fellow sufferer but like many here I have learned to live with it. Ironically it first came on after a very loud Ian Hunter concert in a very small venue. But I agree with those who suspect it is not specifically a hearing issue. I have muscular skeletal issues in my neck and shoulder and when the pain from that intensifies the tinnitus also becomes much worse.

6. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I noticed a few times lately that after drinking alcohol, mine does seem to kick in a little louder. Interesting to see you say that also. Do you know if that is a common thing?

7. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

In Chinese Medicine it is believed that tinnitus is sometimes caused, or made worse, by kidney ‘deficiency’. If that’s at all right, drinking may have an almost immediate affect..

Cool hand luke and stax o' wax like this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If Ian is still on the road at 80, I hope that he’s doing it for the love of playing rather than a need for cash.

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I detailed my bout with tinnitus on that thread so for brevity's sake:
    It came on unexpectedly with a loud whooshing noise that often caused the hearing in my right ear to become crackly and distant. Summer months were the worst whereas in winter, it was greatly reduced. Saw three docs and none offered much help. This persisted for three years until I had some major dental work performed a year ago. Haven't suffered from any sort of in-ear noise since then and I'd say about 75% of my hearing has returned although there appears to be some permanent reduction of bass tones in my right ear.

10. Cool hand luke

Very interesting... thanks! :tiphat:

Silverwolf likes this.
  11. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Alcohol, caffeine, cheese, salt, pepper...
    The worst things for elevating tinnitus (apart from noise) are spices, coconut, cigarettes, fruit and anything containing high amounts of salicylates.

Silverwolf likes this.
  12. Cool hand luke

Wow...never would have thought that diet would have anything to do with tinnitus. I guess we really are what we eat. Thanks for that information. I definitely do consume some of that stuff. A shame about fruit though, the one thing there thats good for me

13. drumhead

drumhead Well-Known Member

I really think there are varying degrees of tinnitus. It's come and gone for 40 years.

14. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I get it occasionally, not too severe thankfully, and have it right now - but I’ve been laid up ill for 3 days, and I’m about to move house, so I’m stressed about that as I live on my own (when my daughter is with her Mum) and have to pack everything. Loads to do, run down and stressed - and there it is! And it’s true diet can affect it as Sunking101 said. I’ve also noticed it appear after drinking, especially if combined with very a late night.
    I sympathise with those who have it all the time, and worse than I ever do, especially if it caused by hearing damage. So many possible causes!

bob60 likes this.
  15. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Same here.
    I got it in both ears, originally it was only in my right but since my wife refuses to turn down her keyboard amp which was pointed at my left ear, along with the idiot drummer who plays like he's in drum corps and he's playing in a praise band at church, now I hear bells and crickets in both.

That's my wish, a cure for both cancer and (not forgetting MS & other diseases) tinnitus would be a great thing. It drives me nuts.

sunking101 and videoman like this.
  16. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Oddly enough, I’ve always had it more it my right ear even though it has always been my left ear that faces the band and the drummer.

I’ve used in-ear monitors for the last 10 years. Love not having ringing ears after a show.

Hamhead and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. Cool hand luke

Yes, mine kinda crept in more noticeably about a year ago, since then it's gone back and forth... sometimes I won't notice it for weeks, then it's right there. Currently it's in it's "right there" mode.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's so bad that when I saw him perform Lifehouse at Sadler's Wells in 2000 he had to kneel down and put his face in the stage monitor to tune his guitar.

Michael Rose likes this.
  19. Cool hand luke

Jeez Pete they do make guitar tuners, even in 2000. Maybe he's half blind too....

20. Chris DeVoe

In-ear monitors have been the most significant source of improvement in live sound since the line array. By not having slant-face monitors on stage (and ideally having guitar and bass amps in boxes off stage) the overall volume on stage is significantly lower, which means that the mains can be lower, and have significantly greater dynamic range as well.

videoman likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Old dog, I guess.

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I wish my body could have waited until I was 80 to get tinnitus.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

A bunch of old man stuff has happened to my body that I'm not particularly happy about.

sunking101 likes this.
  24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I DON'T HAVE A MILD ATTACK OF TINNITUS, HOW DARE YOU MAKE SUCH A STATEMENT JUST TO ENHANCE YOUR CAUSE. I'VE HAD SURGERIES TO TRY AND IMPROVE MY CONDITION.
    THAT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST IGNORANT POSTS I'VE SEEN HERE IN THE 15 YEARS I'VE BEEN A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM.

25. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Hey cool it, that wasn't directed at you or anyone who has posted in this thread. I've seen many comments over the years and a ton of people think that the buzzing most people can hear in a deathly quiet room is tinnitus in all its glory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.