How To Maximize Oppo-203

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Garthb, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am sure I am under utilizing my 203, I use it for the occasional blu-ray DVD, audio cd, but mostly just watch TV through it. What can and "should" I be doing with it?!

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

What many people love Oppos for is the fact that they are very well built and versatile universal players which can play SACDs. DVD-Audio, BluRay Audio in both stereo and multichannel formats.

You could also use it as a universal transport to drive a superior DAC (although unfortunately the 203 lacks HDCD decoding). And/or you could use it as a roon endpoint.

3. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

So what would the starting point be if looking for a ‘superior DAC’?

Alan

4. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

I'd sell it and buy a cheaper Sony (X800 or X700) and pocket the difference.

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Opinions about DAC sound quality are all over the map. Oppo themselves made the xx5 series units with Sabre DAC because they believed that these chips were superior to those in the xx3 series.

Personally I absolutely love the sound of the PS Audio Direct Stream DACs. But there are many excellent DACs out there which sell for significantly less.

6. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

I was going to start a new thread but will try it here for a start

My 203 is hooked up to my old but excellent Nakamichi AV10 by coaxial SPDIF.
    If I understand the specs of the AV10 it can handle up to 48 kHz but it seems to play back the 96khz stereo tracks on the Flaming Lips “Yoshimi...” DVD Audio disc, but not the multi channel tracks.

I want to keep the AV10 rather then upgrade for HDMI reasons, so my thinking is that the analogue connections are the best option for hearing the high res tracks (seeing as the 203 has high quality converters on board)

I would have both analogue and SPDIF connections hooked up and would have to change the settings on the AV10 from a digital input to analogue when playing these types of discs ..

Your thoughts or comments are welcome!!

7. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

Bump....

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Unless one needs the money I'd never suggest selling an Oppo 203 for any Sony player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.