NYC(and boroughs) Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by sberger, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This whole topic itches for discussion that really isn't for this forum. Suffice it to say I think all our great cities are in a cultural death spiral. It just costs too much to be there. And so every block will eventually be Staples, Whole Foods, Dunkin Donuts and Dominos pizza. Some blocks are like that now. I can get THAT in Paramus, NJ.

2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Damn... :(

3. sami

sami Mono still rules

Academy in Greenpoint is the best record store I've been to in ages. Anytime we're visiting my MiL in Astoria I'll make the trek over to check out Academy, Captured Tracks, and the Grouch. And a stop into The Thing is a must. Everything is within a few block radius.

EDIT: Looks like you've gotten this itinerary quite a few times already. Between those three shops, it's really hard to walk out empty handed

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Monroro, mur and sberger like this.
  4. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Not to de-rail the thread but really? Here in the UK bank branches are getting fewer and fewer.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Perfect. Thanks.

sami likes this.
  6. black sheriff likes this.
  7. sberger

Don't think Queens is on the agenda for this trip but thanks!

Monroro, mur and zphage like this.
  8. sberger likes this.
  9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Confused what is meant by NYC(and Boroughs). Are there parts of NYC not included in the 5 Boroughs?

10. sberger

You're right. I should've said Manhattan and other boroughs. Been a long time since I live there.

fluffskul likes this.
  11. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I’m surprised it took so long for a smart ass to come along and correct!

Looks like you got a ton of recommendations, please write back with how you did! I’ve never had a good experience with NYC record shops. But I don’t think I’ve gotten far enough off the beaten path.

12. sberger

I've always thought of NYC/Manhattan as one and the same, which of course is wrong.

I will post results. I'm hoping to get to a couple of the stores in Manhattan, and then a couple of Greenpoint stores. Probably won't have much more time for any others.

13. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

If you like jazz, you HAVE to go the the Jazz Record Center on 26th St. In Manhattan. You will not be disappointed!

It's between 7th and 8th Ave and on the 8th floor of an ordinary looking building. You have to ring the bell and be buzzed in.

14. sberger

That's a planned stop. Thanks.

15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Give me 1981 again. Downstairs Records for 45's, The Golden Disc in the Village, Farfels, Tower, Jimmy's Music World, Korvettes, Disc-O-Mat and the amazing Rockages record conventions. Yonkers Race Way flea market. I hit all the usual suspects three years ago...I feet sorry for NYers now. It was sad. The Thing box is closed for me. Munsters raven: That is all...unless you go to WFMU at dealer set-up.

16. sberger

It's changed quite a bit in 3 years. I have it on very good authority. I lived in NY from 82-86, worked for Midnight Records in addition to 2 other distributors, so I am well familiar to what once was. But as you can see from this thread, things have gotten a lot better from where it was even a few years ago. Lots of little places that are curated by sharp folks who love music. Not unlike the 80's.

17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Downstairs Records in 1974 in the subway arcade at 6th and 42nd street was amazing. They opened a 12" singles room 2 years later. Jr. Vasquez was the counter guy. 42nd Street was wild in the 70's.

18. sberger

Ah, I see, you were a disco guy. Yeah, the vinyl stores for that stuff (I think) have mostly dried up.

19. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

No, it was the first room before the oldies. Nick closed his ears but he made $ on the 12" ers. The green 45rpm sleeves said "Kill When Out" a lot. Funny. The 3 Card Monte brothers were all over the place.

20. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I just visited Manhattan. I only had time for a few stops and didn't get over to Brooklyn.

A-1 Records in the Village was the highlight for me. The Jazz Record Center was great too.

21. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Time NYC visit to record shows in the area.

22. sberger

My favorite stop from my last visit. I'm biased because I already do a fair amount of mail order with them, but still really enjoyed finally getting there in person, meeting with Bruce the long time owner. The store specializes in jazz, especially of the more improv/avant nature, and their inventory is deep with stuff you dont see anywhere else. Also a terrific, if small, vinyl collection. A destinatuon stop if you have more adventurous taste and you're in the City. [​IMG]

23. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

For your Brooklyn record day, in addition to Academy, Captured Tracks, and Grouch, I would pop into Co-op 87 and for new vinyl check out Rough Trade. These are all in walking distance from each other.

Human Head Records is not right next to the other shops, but worth it if you're going to E. Williamsburg/Bushwick.

The Academy Records on 18th and 6th Ave specializes in classical (which I don't really collect), but have found a ton of great jazz, soul, and rock titles. My favorite shop in Manhattan.

24. sberger

Unfortunately some unplanned things popped up during my short visit which restricted my previously planned visits to at least a few of these shops, so I only got to Downtown and Stranded(excellent). I will plan to hit more of these stores when I return in the Spring. But it's great to here that NYC music, and especially vinyl, retail, has bounced back so nicely.

Monroro likes this.
  25. sberger

Here's a fun little video that owner of DMG Bruce Gallagher put together recently on his collection.

Downtown Music Gallery on Instagram: “Greetings to the extended DMG family from Bruce Lee G’s NJ music bunker. He’s been hard at work going through his back catalog to find some…”

zphage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.