Kinks Reunion Inches Closer To Fruition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

After years of inching, we're finally getting a whole yard?

CheshireCat and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

N
    No but it was in the bar fridge!

Zack likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That was tragically stupid as it turned out!

4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Dave and Ray at the Arthur reissue party this evening in London

[​IMG]

5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Thanks for posting. It always makes me smile to see the two brothers hanging out together. Does anyone know if Mick and Nobby were there?

6. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Speaking only for myself, I think we're past the point when I would want to see a Kinks reunion.

Spencer R, Bill, CheshireCat and 8 others like this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'd be happy to see them strap on acoustic guitars and run through some of the old hits.

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I wonder how "almost completed" the album really is. Judging from his comments, he just has songs he wants to record. Or maybe they have recorded a good chunk of songs already and are deciding which ones belong on the album. That part I doubt though since Dave just did some touring and probably wasn't jiving in the UK much recently.

9. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Can't help but roll my eyes when I hear about this 'Kinks reunion' that we've been hearing about for six years straight. :rolleyes:

905, agundy, Elliottmarx and 2 others like this.
  10. lightrom

lightrom Ready . . Fire . . Aim!

I am happy that they appear to be happy, that is all that matters to me. They have earned it and then some. Surviving into your seventies is way more important then selling more "product". Ray and Dave getting along together again is icing on the Kinks Kake!

11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Have you seen the photo upthread of Ray and Dave now living literally next door to each other this year? If not, check it out!

PS: I hope your mention of Dave ‘Jiving In The UK’ wasn’t a suggestion that the new record is gonna be the same quality as ‘UK Jive’!

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Try 21!

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I have my doubts Dave really moved next door. I'd be happy if it all happened and comes out rosy, but these guys use the idea of getting back together every time they want some press. I'd be more inclined to believe that article if it said Ray and Dave reenact scene from the Rolling Stones "Waiting On A Friend" video.

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Just announced today: after 50 years Arthur the play (or a version of it) is finally appearing on Nov 2nd as a BBC radio adaptation:

BBC - BBC Radio 4 brings The Kinks’ Arthur to life in new drama - Media Centre

'In the year of its 50th anniversary, The Kinks’ album Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire) has been transformed into an audio drama for BBC Radio 4.
    Arthur has been adapted by The Kinks frontman and modern music icon Ray Davies himself, alongside Olivier-nominated playwright, dramaturg and musician Paul Sirett.

The story - of both the drama and the original album - sees a close-knit, working-class family torn apart when Ray's brother-in-law, Arthur, decides to move his family half way around the world to Australia.

Ray Davies says: “The album Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire) is inspired by real life events. Arthur’s generation returned from war to find Britain’s future in the midst of cultural and social change and political uncertainty, much like today. A play set yesterday about all our tomorrows.”

Arthur features songs written at a pivotal time in British culture that have been re-versioned especially for Radio 4, fifty years later. The cast includes Lee Ross as Arthur and Rosie Cavaliero as Rose.

Radio 4 Commissioning Editor for Drama and Fiction, Alison Hindell, says: “It's not often that a radio drama makes you want to dance as you listen but this reinvention of Ray Davies and The Kinks' seminal album really does. It's a heartfelt true story of a particular moment in recent history that has resonances today about the ways in which we connect as humans at times of great social change - through story, music, home and family.”

SH2

Arthur
    Saturday 2 November
    2.30-3.45pm

The Songs:

• Victoria… performed by The Kinks
    • The Future… performed by Arthur and the Emigrants
    • The Village Green… performed by Rosie Cavaliero
    • Arthur - version 1… performed by Arthur and the Emigrants
    • Arthur - version 2… performed by The Kinks
    • Some Mother’s Son… performed by The Kinks
    • The Future... performed by Mark Newnham
    • Yes Sir, No Sir - version 1… performed by The Kinks
    • Yes Sir, No Sir - version 2… performed by Lee Ross
    • Drivin’… performed by The Kinks, Lee Ross and Rosie Cavaliero
    • Mr Churchill Says… performed by The Kinks
    • Brainwashed… performed by Ben Norris, Mark Newnham, Stephen Lloyd and Arthur Hughes
    • Waterloo Sunset… performed by Mark Newnham
    • Australia… performed by Lee Ross and The Kinks
    • Pictures In The Sand… performed by Lee Ross
    • Young And Innocent Days… performed by Rosie Cavaliero
    • Nothing To Say… performed by Ben Norris
    • Postcard From London… performed by Rosie Cavaliero and Ray Davies
    • You Really Got Me… performed by the Kinks
    • Shangri-La... performed by The Kinks
    Guitar by Bill Shanley
    All Songs Written By Ray Davies

Cast and crew:

• Arthur… Lee Ross
    • Rose… Rosie Cavaliero
    • Ray… Stephen Lloyd
    • Bobby… Arthur Hughes
    • Dave… Mark Newnham
    • Terry… Ben Norris
    • Julie/Sally… Emerald O’Hanrahan
    • Mr Henderson… David Holt
    • Mum… Karen Spicer
    • Dad/Jones… Wayne Norman
    Sound Engineers: David Thomas and Matt Jaggar
    Production Coordinator: Sarah Tombling
    Musical Director: Harvey Brough
    Director: Karen Rose
    Producers: Karen Rose and Ray Davies

A Sweet Talk Production for BBC Radio 4

15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Great news! :pleased:

If only Ray had known that it would take 50 years...

16. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

While window has been missed, fave way and I think most respectful, attention-gaining, and apt to produce a quality show, thing for them to have done was leapt on the 50th anniv bandwagon and done full-lp shows for VILLAGE GREEN, or SOMETHING ELSE, or FACE TO FACE....with of course a second set of other songs mostly from that era with the, what?--two "absolutely must play if you are doing a Kinks show warhorses" of Lola and YRGM.

Who would be in the band? Ideally Ray-Dave-Mick plus a small ensemble of those LA pop cover band pro types who know and love the music likely way better than the Kinks do now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Ray Davies Talks ‘Arthur’ Reissue, ‘Project Kinks’ Reunion Project

Unqualified praise for the talents of Dave coming from Ray may seem surprising to some Kinks fans, but they’ve finally made peace in recent years and have even taken tentative steps toward a Kinks reunion. Right now, they are focused on writing new songs. “Dave and I are having a collaboration on a few songs, which will be a first,” says Ray, who wrote the vast majority of the Kinks catalog on his own. “I’ll be like, ‘Here is the chorus, you write verse two.’ I’m trying to keep the energy flowing, and I really want Dave involved creatively.”

The Davies brothers have been largely recording with drum machines to flesh out their demos, but Ray hopes to call in Kinks drummer Mick Avory soon, despite Avory’s famously combative relationship with Dave. “It was a childish spat,” says Ray. “I got them to say ‘hello’ last year. I want to get them in the studio together. I’m calling it ‘Project Kinks.'”
    As of now, Project Kinks is short a bass player. Quaife died in 2010, and Jim Rodford, who played with them from 1978 to 1997, died suddenly last year. That does leave John Dalton, their bass player from 1969 to 1976. “I haven’t spoken to John about this yet,” says Davies. “I did see him last year, and I might reach out soon, perhaps November. Dave also has a couple of guys in mind that he likes. Right now, though, the songwriting comes first. This is a song project and keeping it in the family is something to enjoy.”

The Kinks haven’t played live in any capacity since splitting in 1996. A tour would be a huge moneymaker, but Ray is taking things one day at a time. “We have to make the record first,” says Ray. “But if we do play again, we’ll come to America. That’s another conversation though.”

Does all of this activity mean the Kinks are now officially back together? “The word ‘together’ is misleading,” says Davies. “We were never together. But we’re back to our dysfunction again.”​

18. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

agundy, cwitt1980 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Doesn't John Dalton play with Mick Avory in the Kast Off Kinks? He's definitely the most logical choice for bassist, especially if they want to keep to the band's history.

20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

My new moan of the day: shame the BBC radio play couldn't be a disc on the box set.

21. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Or they could get Andy Pyle!

Matthew Tate and melstapler like this.
  22. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

If this actually happens, I’ll travel anywhere in the states to see it. I’m keeping expectations low however. Some recent Dave shows haven’t been so great.

23. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Alcohol was in the setlist throughout the 1994 UK tour.

24. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Sadly, I think I agree.

25. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Very interesting. I've seen maybe 20 Kinks shows along the U.S. east coast from the early 80's to early 90's and never once got the sad and woeful story. Lucky you if you've had the pleasure.