New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Listening to the vinyl for the first time, the B&N exclusive version. On my rig I'm finding the vocals a bit crushed/compressed. The instruments have a very nice expansive feel. Lots of separation and definition. But the vocals just seem off. They're centered nicely but they sound grainy throughout. Anyone else notice that? Maybe the vinyl needs a cleaning...

FWIW, rig info in my profile, but it is Rega RP3 Hana EH > Sim Audio Moon Neo 310LP > SimAudio 340i (I think Grover Huffman interconnects)

Cleaning may have made a very marginal improvement in vocals. Still pretty grainy and compressed....

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Single from the live album is Sundown. I was hoping for Western Stars or Wild Horses, my two favourites from the album. Not a huge difference between the studio version and the live track at first listen. The backing vocals are pushed up in the mix. And he manages the high notes very well.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I sensed the same problems with the B&N special edition, so I ordered the British vinyl from amazon.co.uk. No wispy clouds, but it sounds terrific. Instead of watching the record spin, I just close my eyes and enjoy the music. I plan on going to the UK for the vinyl of the film soundtrack, too.

dee and NunoBento like this.
  4. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I second this. The UK pressing is glorious.

dee likes this.
  5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I just listened to it and yes, I was surprised - and happy- that he hit the notes. I prefer the studio version, but nice ambiance on this one.

6. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I would think the compressed vocals I'm hearing would be a mastering issue not a pressing plant issue. But I'm no expert. Why did you go to the UK vinyl over the US version? Different pressing plants?

7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

My dissatisfaction with the domestic B&N special edition and satisfaction with other British pressings led me to amazon.co.uk. The cost of the US and British pressings was about the same, so I took a chance.

9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Springsteen was the headline guest on BBC TV chatshow The Graham Norton Show on Saturday. We got the standard line on the new movie, some fond interaction with fellow guest Robert De Niro ("I love Bobby!") and a funny and charming version of the Graceland story. No performance, just a segment of the trailer. James Blunt was the musical (performance) guest, an embarrassingly weedy new single. He redeemed himself with an amusing self-deprecating tale of his repeated failures as a crowd-surfer.

Here is the Graceland story

RSteven and Bossyman like this.
  10. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

saw WS Saturday with a full house. and I must say-not unexpectedly-that I enjoyed the music MUCH more than on the album. setting, sound, performance, narration, and production all top notch. Zimny and Bruce find the perfect approach to present the music and Bruce's feelings about the songs. for anyone who enjoys the album, don't wait for any home viewing opps-go see it in the theater. I see Grammy for long form music video in it's future.

ronbow, RSteven, brettster808 and 2 others like this.
  11. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I just got back from the film. Very well done. The live performance pieces are beautifully filmed and recorded. The other parts are generally ok, although at times I felt like I was watching an advertisement for men’s western garb. Some of his voice overs felt weirdly awkward.

But overall very well done and enjoyable. It will reinforce that this is Springsteen’s best work in a very, very long time.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Fantastic.

laf848, JoeF. and RSteven like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That was simply majestic sounding. Oh Man, Bruce will eventually release this on Blu-ray right?

14. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I'm not a Blunt fan (at all) but thought his performance on that show was very good. A classy song IMO.

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Why not? It will probably be bundled with either the studio or live version of Western Stars at some point.

RSteven likes this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes, I meant to say the live version of the concert film.

JoeF. likes this.
  17. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

This live show/soundtrack recording is so good. Western Stars is fantastic live... and Chasing Wild Horses is another stand out.. there is something about his live voice, his presence on these recordings that gives the songs a bit more weight.

I really did not think I would be as in to this as I am.. probably pick up the vinyl tomorrow.

18. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

It won't be released until December 13th. At least here in Spain.

J

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Listening now. Sounds good but not that different from the studio version. Sure, it sounds live but more like live in the studio than real live if you know what I mean.
    I figure that some songs needed many(combined) takes, atleast for his vocals. They sound to good to be a straight live performance, while others was more like you expect him to sound at his age.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    DavidD likes this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I’m listening right now on YouTube. and it’s so warm and intimate and l agree with you— it’s FAR better than I expected or imagined it would be.
    This suite of songs is classic— I feel like I’ve been listening to them for years.
    This enhances my appreciation for the studio album- if that’s possible-and proves the songs lend themselves to a live setting.
    And Bruce’s straight-forward rendition of the old Glenn Campbell hit “Rhinestone Cowboy” that closes the album is fantastic. It fits the themes of Western Stars perfectly— it sounds like a song one of that albums characters would sing.

Bruce hits it out of the park for the second time this year with the same bunch of songs.

A year ago, who woulda thunk it?

I’m picking up the CD today.

21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

This new live album just took number one spot in my albums of the year. One place above Western Stars the studio version. Fantastic.

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

This version even makes Sleep Joe's Cafe a bearable experience!

23. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Saw the film the other day and I recommend it as strongly as possible. My wife is not a big Springsteen fan but she was blown away. The sound quality is spectacular. It really does need to be seen in a theater.

FYI I thought the bonus feature was hugely disappointing. The only plus was the musicians talking about playing in the barn (which is awesome.) The archival bits were just about nonexistent.

Question for those who have seen the movie. There is a bar in the barn which is featured prominently. It seemed to show a cash register and people paying for drinks. Was I imagining that?

FingerPickin'Triumph likes this.
  24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Going to see the movie on Monday evening. Can't wait.

25. dberthia

dberthia Curmudgeon, Skeptic

The soundtrack songs sound great. My only complaint is I could have done without Patti's warbling on Moonlight Motel.

Martin Byrne, tlmctell and budwhite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.