Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, yeah, but we all know he didn't chose to record "Song of the Shrimp" because he liked it. When Elvis recorded songs that were not so hot, there generally was a non-musical reason he did so. It's reasonable to speculate there was some nepotism going on with Mr. Songman (though I admit I shouldn't have stated my speculation as absolute fact... I engaged in a bit of hyperbole there).

I found an interview with Donnie Sumner here. I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't put two and two together and realize he's related to JD Sumner (he's his nephew). Sumner misremembers the circumstances around Mr. Songman, thinking it was recorded at Palm Springs in September along with his other track, I Miss You. What's odd is that he says the tracks were recorded because the Colonel told Elvis he had to record some material immediately or be in breach of contract, and he didn't have any other songs available so he decided to do two of Sumner's. The first part of the recollection is accurate, but the second part is not. Not only did Elvis have other material, he had four completed backing tracks from July that merely needed vocals added. But he apparently led Sumner to believe he had nothing. I wonder why?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  3. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Love Song Of The Year has a very attractive melody, and Elvis delivers a fine performance on it. For some reason it's never jumped out at me as a title that I think of when I think of "Elvis at Stax," but that's a good thing; it means that I always end up pleasantly surprised when it comes up.

It's Midnight is a masterpiece. It's not one of my personal favourite Stax cuts, but the dynamics are astounding, and I'm always in awe of the way Elvis sells the song. "It's getting late, and I know that's when I am weak/Funny how things have a way of looking so much brighter in the daylight" is a bit silly on paper, but it's one of those Elvis moments that's stuck with me ever since I first heard it, and pops into my head every now and then for no particular reason.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I was actually going to quote that exact line in my previous post as I really find it quite terrific. It's Midnight should be played late at night when the lights are down and you are feeling a little melancholy or sad about something or someone. I kind of borrowed that line from what Bruce Springsteen once said about listening to Roy Orbison's great single from 1964, It's Over, when he was a young man.

5. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

According to Keith Flynn's session info (which includes a scan of the original session log), "It's Midnight" was the second song recorded (after "I've Got A Feelin' In My Body") at a session that went from 9PM to 4:30AM. Some of my favorite Presley recordings were the final song recorded at these all-night sessions. ("Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is another favorite example.)

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming
    Written By :
    Rory Bourke

Recorded :

Stax Studios, Memphis, December 10-16, 1973 : December 15, 1973. take 9

Here we have a six beat ballad that is again somewhat country, and I think this song also works well. I am sure some folks won't like the arrangement, due to the usual suspects, strings and bvox, but I think by this stage we should be used to the idea that Elvis and Felton were going to lean this way, even if it isn't one's favourite set up.
    Elvis again puts in a great vocal that for me at least sells the song. I don't think it is an amazing song, but I think it works well with this vocal and delivery.

7. mark winstanley

If You Talk In Your Sleep
    Written By :
    Red West & Johnny Christopher

Recorded :

Stax Studios, Memphis, December 10-16, 1973 : December 11, 1973, take 9

We get a nice change of pace here, with a dirty groove and, what I at least think, is a great string and horn arrangement, that really adds so bite to the song. Elvis vocal is right on the money, and the song really gets itself across well.

Revelator, Tord, BeatleJWOL and 5 others like this.
  8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

A nice change of pace! I get a bit sick of country track after country track on the mid 70s albums...

9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I have very little to offer lately because most of my comments would be of disapproval of the material, the style and the vocals. Most of post 1970 recordings are simply dismal to my ears even to this day.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  10. mark winstanley

That's fair mate.
    We'll have stuff coming up in the next addition that you may well have some input for :righton:

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  11. All viewpoints are welcome here. This thread has been nothing but civil and I think we all benefit hearing different opinions.

12. mark winstanley

I totally agree. It can often be interesting to know why folks like and dislike anything in particular. Always helps with perspective.

MRamble, Dave112, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I feel just about the same way, but every time I play this song, I seem to really enjoy it more, and I have always found that Elvis sings it with the some of the passion and power that he usually reserves for gospel songs. Nashville songwriter Roury Bourke was a highly esteemed Music City writer who had previously written Patch It Up with Eddie Rabbitt for Elvis. His biggest co-write was on Charlie Rich's country-pop number one single, The Most Beautiful Girl (In The World). Funny enough, it was not written as a traditional romantic love song as Mr. Bourke tells in his own words from Writing For The King quoted below:

"It came straight from my heart and to think this titan of music had put his voice on it was just so thrilling. I wrote that myself. That song was written about my daughter, Allyson. I wrote it days after she was born. I think Elvis thought he was singing about a big grown up girl but in reality he was singing about my baby. (laughs) His version was absolutely awesome. He caught the complete emotion of what I was trying to say about myself in relationship to this small bundle of love. He caught it in the most wonderful way. The song is in time and has a gospel feel to it and I know that's where his singing came from. Elvis just kind of waded into it and made this song come alive."

I have always loved this song. Another co-write by Elvis friend and bodyguard Red West and another great song that makes it all the way to number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Wow, thats one notch below what the great Kentucky Rain achieved on the very same chart a few years before. This is such a funky cut and those Nashville horns really make the whole song have a soulful feel to it. When I was younger and first exposed to the song, I assumed Elvis was covering some great Motown standard or something. What a shock it was for me when I found out that If You Talk In Your Sleep was an original song co-written for him by his body guard. What a hoot.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Revelator, jeremylr, minkahed and 4 others like this.
  14. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I am in the same situation: I don't have much to say about Elvis music after say 1971. Can't wait for the Sun collection.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

I forgot to post this one earlier upthread. The title track to Promised Land had a great promo-only dedicated mono mix.

minkahed, artfromtex, DirkM and 4 others like this.
  16. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

How do you rate the the mono mix of It's Midnight? I have a copy that promo 45 and it sounds great to my ears.

17. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I really like this song as well. It sounds like a classic Stax record! One other thing, Red West you dog you! Lol.

MRamble, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Thinking About You
    Written By :
    Tim Baty

Recorded :

Stax Studios, Memphis, December 10-16, 1973 : December 12, 1973. take 8

"Thinking About You"
    Single by Elvis Presley
    from the album Promised Land
    A-side
    "My Boy" "Thinking About You"
    Released January 4, 1975
    Format 7" single
    Recorded December 12, 1973
    Length 3:00
    Songwriter(s)Tim Baty

"Thinking About You" is a song performed by Elvis Presley and originally released on his 1975 album Promised Land.

In January 1975 it also was released on the RCA single PB-10191,[1] as the flip side to "My Boy"[2][3][4][5] (a song from the 1974 album Good Times). In 1977 the single was reissued as part of the black-labelled Gold Standard Series (s/n GB-10489).[6]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    For me, this song starts off really well. The verse are excellent, and I don't dislike the chorus, but it is a little abrasive the way it comes in, and again for me it is just a little .... not quite right. I can still enjoy the song, but it is .... not quite right.

Tord and MRamble like this.
  19. mark winstanley

You Asked Me To
    Written By :
    Waylon Jennings & Billy Joe Shaver

Recorded :
    Stax Studios, Memphis, December 10-16, 1973 : December 11, 1973. take 6

So we have a Waylon song here, and I don't know why, but that surprised me.
    This is really very country as one might expect. It is a nice moderately uptempo feel, and I like the arrangement and the vocal. This, to me, is a really good way to finish off this album.
    We get a really nice bit of Burton guitar, and essentially this works for me. It think the fade out comes in a little too soon, and a little too harshly.

Revelator, Tord, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  20. mark winstanley

So in reality for me this is a very good album.
    Mr Songman, Love Song Of The Year and Thinking About You, slide to the acceptable, but not great songs, but there are, for me at least, a number of great songs on this album and that raises this into a very acceptable, even very good album.

Revelator, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  21. mark winstanley

22. mark winstanley

Reference Guide

May 2 1974

If You Talk In Your Sleep/ Help Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1974
    Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
    Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 See See Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 I Got A Woman/ Amen Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Love Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Tryin' To Get To You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Medley Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Why Me Lord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 How Great Thou Art Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Blueberry Hill/ I Can't Stop Loving You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Help Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 An American Trilogy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 Let Me Be There Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 My Baby Left Me
    track 13 Lawdy Miss Clawdy
    track 14 Can't Help Falling In Love

Oct 1 1974
    Promised Land/It's Midnight

Oct 1974
    Having Fun With Elvis On Stage

Jan 8 1975
    Promised Land

1 Promised Land
    2 There's A Honky Tonk Angel
    3 Help Me
    4 Mr Songman
    5 Love Song Of The Year
    6 It's Midnight
    7 Your Love's Been A Long Time Comin'
    8 If You Talk In Your Sleep
    9 Thinking About You
    10 You Asked Me To

When In Rome likes this.
  23. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Elvis' vocals on Thinking About You is unique for him. The tonal style sounds familiar and yet I cannot place it. It seems that many pop and or country artist have used this style but I just can't think of any examples. Anyway it is the only song where Elvis uses this style. And I cannot even describe what in the heck I am talking about here. I like it nonetheless.

You Asked Me To is a pleasant surprise. I am not much of a Waylon fan, but I like Elvis' take of this song.

jeremylr, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  24. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Such a shame ...

25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I was thinking the exact same thing, but I cannot really describe it either. Elvis is singing in a conversational way at the beginning of the verses, which seems unusual to my ears as his voice almost always sounds quite melodic on most songs. I guess Thinking About You is one of my least favorite songs on Promised Land, but still quite listenable nonetheless.

Yeah, this was a surprise to me as well, when I first heard it back in the 70's. Now, I was actually a huge Waylon & Willie fan back in those days, if you can believe it. I know, it seems strange that the same guy that loves those countrypolitan productions by Billy Sherrill on Charlie Rich, would also love those country outlaws, but I did enjoy a wide variety of genres and vocal styles back then and I still do to this day. I would not have picked this song out for Elvis to cover, and yet I think he does a great job with it. I really dig James Burton's guitar solo as well.