Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

It most certainly is not.

2. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Wow. Not much to say right now but that was an incredible film.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can relate to their cause, but I would go primarily after donuts and make pattern baldness as my oppressors.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Dark and depressing — sounds Like my cup of tea! About time someone did something new with the genre. A few of us were discussing Endgame yesterday and we decided the Avengers screwed up: Thanos was right.

WHitese and GodShifter like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I can't answer your question until I've seen the movie, on the surface it looks nothing like a typical comic book movie (DC or Marvel), that's two points in its favour right there.

Tim Lookingbill and GodShifter like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Phoenix was so good that fans are likely going to be clamoring for him to come back to the role, at least one more time. Perhaps in the sequel to the upcoming Batman reboot starring Robert Pattinson. Seems unlikely however, since Todd Phillips likely won't be involved with those Bat-films (Matt Reeves is directing), and Phoenix reportedly "doesn't do sequels".

7. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Ha. Ha. Ha. And I thought my jokes were bad.

[​IMG]

This “Joker” will not appear in The Batman’s world. Definitely not in Robert Pattinson’s Batman. And I don’t even think the horrible studio execs at DC would have him in it.

However, given how bad DC’s films have been, I exclude nothing from their poor judgement.

I would bet the farm there is a sequel. P.T. Barnum, while a shister and animal torturer, was very business savvy.

I look for DC to double down for their bottom line. Something has to fund all their other movies.

You broke the first rule.

We will see if he is “a man of his word.”

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Stupid audio transcription software.

I meant to say that my life is bizarrely complicated (although, in fairness, my wife is rather complicated as well.)

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

And those two points are the negative aspects for me.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You like comic book movies? Cool.

That's interesting that Phoenix doesn't do "sequels". I guess if I think about it, he hasn't ever been in one. He's a great actor; maybe my favorite of them all (besides Daniel Day-Lewis).

GentleSenator and daca like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Thanks for this post. It was very informative, thoughtful, and has some good insight. Knowing myself, I probably won't get around to seeing this film in the theater (I'll wait until it's streaming somewhere), but the positive reviews are encouraging. I need to read up on the plot a bit.

Jason Manley likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

So you complain that The Joker is more of the same yet the fact that it doesn't look like a typical rote/boilerplate Marvel/DC movie is a negative? Don't worry there will be plenty of new comic book movies coming to a multiplex soon, I think Marvel has 4 0r 5 scheduled for 2020.

Ghostworld and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. audiomixer

I used to like them. But there are way too many of them, like the Star Wars franchise. Too much of a good thing & they’ve all gotten diluted with each release.

daca and GodShifter like this.
  14. audiomixer

And that’s the problem. Too many rehashed characters.

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

'My Life'....'My Wife'.....:
    same thing, in my world.

The Ole' Rocker and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Vickie tweeted:

490) Joker @ Navy Pier IMAX. I thought it was very good and I don't particularly care what anyone else thinks. I won't read reviews or articles or "thinkpieces" (I don't need to be told what to think). Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor, a living legend. He's brilliant as Joker.​

17. audiomixer

So many other movies & storylines to pursue.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Probably nowhere.. Interviews with Phoenix and Phillips have them pretty adamant this is a one-off.

daca likes this.
  19. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Are there any mid-credits or post-credit scenes that I should wait for? I don't think DC does that, but you never know these days.

20. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Can’t wait to see this again. Like others have said it’s a dark film. Besides Pheonix’s astounding performance (seriously he’s my favorite current actor and even he surprised me how good he was) the three things that struck me were the cinematography, the set design and the music. All we’re done beautifully.

21. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I agree with you on Phoenix, he's an amazing actor. I don't think anyone can top (or even equal) him, but Joaquin seems to have filled the gap that we were left with when Philip Seymour Hoffman passed. I was absolutely heartbroken when River passed (still am), but I feel like I'm getting a glimpse of what could have been in Joaquin.

George P and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  22. I like this bit from another handwringing piece in the WaPo:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

daca likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It'll be a shame if he doesn't. I'd like to see him come up against a Frank Miller style Batfella:

[​IMG]

daca, GodShifter and Dudley Morris like this.
  25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

You should certainly go see it in the theater.

Personally I'm not sure I could personally sit through this film again anytime soon. I am starting to think it's a bit of an instant classic though.

I absolutely hope nothing happens at a screening, but with a movie this provocative and with today's social climate, it wouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

Closest we've had to that onscreen was Zack Snyder's and Ben Affleck's take in Batman Vs. Superman, etc. Affleck only met Leto's Joker briefly in Suicide Squad.

Purple Jim and daca like this.