Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

It's a rather simple drum pattern. Effective, but simple enough for Paul to have pulled off. Too bad we don't get to hear one of his takes of it. Couldn't have been too bad, because Lewisohn thought it was Ringo drumming on the first make of "Something".

Seltarb likes this.
  2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Have the April 16, 1969 sessions for "Something" been booted at all? That would be an amazing inclusion on a re-release of Anthology.

RAJ717 likes this.
  3. baitzahn

baitzahn Forum Resident

John often played keyboard on George's songs:
    - electric piano on You Like Me Too Much
    - organ on Think For Yourself
    - harpsichord on Not Guilty
    - organ on While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    - piano on Something
    - organ on All Things Must Pass

So he always had to learn the chords or the specific part.

With the bass part I think George mixed things up - Maybe he was thinking of one oh the guitar parts he played in his demo (could one be played on a Fender VI?!). On the released studio recording I'm pretty sure that bass is played by Paul and guitar (recorded on the same track) is by George.

theMess, Seltarb, Kim Olesen and 3 others like this.
  4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It's one of my big frustrations with the recent deluxe reissues that the notes have occasionally referred to outtakes that Apple have declined to give us. I appreciate the desire not to release material just for the sake of it if it isn't up to par, but then why do we get an outtake like the new Octopus's Garden, which is a short breakdown that featured a poor Ringo vocal? Surely, the abandoned version of Something (or the take with extended coda) or the newly-discovered fast version of I Want You or the off-the-cuff run throughs of Peggy Sue Got Married etc etc would have been better than a breakdown of Octopus's Garden.

supermd, planckera, AFOS and 8 others like this.
  5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

And with the outtakes only amounting to 85 minutes, they surely could've fit all of them across the two discs! :shake:

WildHoneyPie, theMess, Paul H and 5 others like this.
  6. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

To all reading, the SUM UP:
    • CD's are limited and compressed to a DR9
    • HD Tracks - Do not buy them. They were provided the CD masters and then limited them even more. (Sounds oddly familiar, why they do this, I do not know)
    • Blu-Ray is a DR11 (like the original mix)
    • Surround sound is the highlight of the set, best to date of Beatles mixes behind LOVE.
    All that being said about nit-picks and SQ issues, and QA/QC issues on the sets. I am extremely disappointed they didn't give us a flat transfer.

goer, AFOS, hammerhands and 2 others like this.
  7. Dan Daniels

Dan Daniels Forum Resident

In regard to the "Old Brown Shoe" drums: forget about the fills, the swung hi-hat notes, the off-beat snare pattern. The drummer on this track is rushing the beat, which in my mind does not indicate a performance by good ol' behind-the-beat Ringo.

supermd, Seltarb, J Alesait and 3 others like this.
  8. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Perhaps they were vetoed.

aphexj likes this.
  9. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Abbey Road is No. 1 in the UK

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-beatles-iconic-abbey-road-returns-to-number-1-and-sets-uk-official-albums-chart-record__27444

This sets a new chart record, for longest time between an album hitting No. 1 again. The report says the band beat its own record: "The Beatles previously held the record with their Sgt Pepper’s album, which had a gap of 49 years and 125 days between topping the chart, when its anniversary re-release reached Number 1 in June 2017."

I can't seem to find total sales but one article says the vinyl version "is also the week’s best-selling vinyl, shifting just under 9,000 physical copies."

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  10. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Amazing! 50 years later 'Abbey Road' is #1 again!

janmaccazwan and Fivebyfive like this.
  11. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I was hoping some of the tracks would be streamed enough to chart but this hasn't happened. A huge physical sale obviously and not much streaming.

4 other Beatles albums in the Top 100 this week

Edit. Only #25 in streaming. Not even the highest streaming Beatles album this week. 1 is at #24

Only #3 in Ireland. We suck!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    theMess and Fivebyfive like this.
  12. Fivebyfive

I just don't see Abbey Road hitting No. 1 in the US. Unfortunately. Because of the way Billboard determines sales vs streaming. I would love to be wrong on this, though.

theMess likes this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I believe that is what the chatter at the end refers to — John must have hit the pedal/switch unintentionally, and George shows him which one it is to keep the 'damper' on so it stays jangly

Seltarb and baitzahn like this.
  14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

J Alesait and 905 like this.
  15. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Streaming usually rules in the UK too. But yes it's much harder to do in America

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It is projected to chart at #3 in the USA.

theMess and Fivebyfive like this.
  17. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Isn’t that where Pepper and WA landed as well?

18. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Right behind Creedence's "Green River" and Johnny Cash's "Johnny Cash At San Quentin" ;)

jmxw, theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  19. Fivebyfive

Looks like the Pepper reissue was at No. 3 in 2017 in the US, and the WA at No. 6 in 2018.

theMess likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Correct.

The White Album deluxe box came out in November, which is a much more competitive market, with more big music releases being issued at that time. So that accounts for the slightly poorer chart position compared to the deluxe sets of Pepper (released in June) and (unofficially) Abbey Road (released in September). Timing is everything with the charts.

Fivebyfive and MPLRecords like this.
  21. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

Do you mind if I ask where you bought it from? Was it a domestic purchase that just happened to be the Optimal pressing, or did you specifically seek out this pressing?

22. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

23. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Ron, when John mentions Don’t Bother Me, his point is “from the beginning,” that’s why he goes so far back.

I actually think John was capable of learning a part and repeating it. I’m not sure I ever heard him play guitar like on Get Back anywhere else, but he learned that solo and played it (twice!) in every take. The piano on Old Brown Shoe is pretty repetitive. He could have learned it. Not saying he did, just that I wouldn't rule it out.

John’s abilities tend to be underestimated here, as though he was incompetent. He wasn’t a virtuoso, but he could play.

supermd, MoonPool, nikh33 and 6 others like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Ideally, there should be one thread for just the Peter Jackson film and another thread for the possible Deluxe audio set for the Let It Be album.

25. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.