Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I knew someone would ask that, fair question. I will look at my favorite albums and list a few. Might be a good thread topic!

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

So you are saying there is a chance?

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s a great thinking outside the box title, though as we have said, a head scratcher as I doubt the sonics are up to snuff for $125.

4. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

I’m personally really looking forward to Still Crazy After All These Years… one of my top 10 favourite records of all time....:goodie::evil::pineapple:

Adamski777 and Echoes Myron like this.
  5. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

Talking Book would be awesome... IF they could get Stevie to hand over the master tapes - which I doubt...

bluejimbop and Twinsfan007 like this.
  6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Talking Heads - Remain in Light would be amazing.

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush

Well produced hip-hop albums would be amazing although that'll never happen.

XTC - Skylarking

Queensryche - Empire

There's so many...

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You would be surprised how good it sounds on the One Step pressing. It's not an audiophile soundscape spectacular of course. The One Step reveals it to be a very good recording and worthy of the treatment. I would put the MFSL above The Nightfly and BOTT for sound.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There is an excellent 2 disc version of Skylarking still available. Can't see Partridge giving it to Mo-Fi. Warner After The Gold Rush reissue from 2010 is a good as this gets and can't see Mo-Fi getting that while Warner have it in print. There's so many that aren't going to happen. The usual suspects keep doing the rounds because they sell and appear to be able to licence easily, due to the particular label and artists attitude to continual recycling. Even then I suspect they now can't get licencing for 33 rpm versions with the labels doing their own thing with vinyl. There isn't a market for audiophile quality Hip Hop (fortunately) but little of it is all analogue recordings.

dkurtis likes this.
  9. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Although unlikely to happen, it would be fun to have a One Step release of Led Zeppelin IV. I have an original Porky/Pecko release that, IMO, is better than my Classic Records 180G version. I tried the more recent release of Led Zeppelin IV and it did not sound great, or bad, to me...just not special.

TDurden likes this.
  10. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Titles I’d love to see that haven’t been done to death, were well recorded and might bring in a younger clientele-

Rage Against the Machine -S/T
    Soundgarden- Superunknown
    TOOL- Ænima
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Radiohead - In Rainbows

Honorable mention but the tape was destroyed in the Universal fire-
    The Roots - Do You Want More?!!!?!

Lucca90, Kyhl, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  11. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

The In Rainbows discbox version is already perfection. I’d spring for a one step of any other Radiohead album (minus Pablo Honey) that hasn’t already been done at 45rpm.

Twinsfan007 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  12. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I took that into consideration but I’d still love to hear what they could get out of the One Step treatment.

13. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I'd be really interested in hearing something like Radiohead done with one of these audiophile treatments given that they were already recorded and mastered with the best sound possible in mind.

14. I would buy any and all Radiohead albums released in a one step format aside from Pablo Honey. And I have all original UKs and the 45 IR and KoL boxes.

The one step process creates something special and could probably better all previous versions.

Admerr likes this.
  15. Todd Harris

Todd Harris Well-Known Member

Paul Simon Graceland is one I would buy immediately, also Bob Marley Legend

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I hear ya. But dream on ya'll, aint happenin'. None of those titles will be done.

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Dmann201, Tommyboy, mpayan and 13 others like this.
  18. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Let me get a Zappa in one of these. Apostrophe would probably sell well but id love for maybe Grand Wazoo

Big Swifty and Grohlfan like this.
  19. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Box #1585 arrived Friday. I compared the first two tracks so far on the Impex and the One-Step (side 1 of the One-Step). The Impex sounds great in isolation, but the One-Step is more alive. It’s more dynamic and transparent with more presence, and just sounds more real. The piano in Body and Soul just sounds more like a real piano playing in the room. The piano in the Impex version sounds much more distant. The drums on the title cut are more realistic, with the cymbals getting more shimmer and detail. The horns are dynamic, but actually smoother, and a bit less brash. The Impex just sounds a bit flatter.

It almost sounds like a different tape was used, but I think it’s just different mastering moves. The One-Step is a touch brighter, which might account for more detail getting through...or maybe it’s the fact it’s cut at 45 rpm (and half-speed).

The records and packaging look perfect, incidentally. The vinyl – at least through side 1 – is super quiet. I cleaned it on my VPI before the first playing, as I do with all of these. It eliminates the static that really builds up in shipping on the “Super Vinyl” and SRX formulations.

While the Impex sounds quite good – and maybe more familiar to me – this One-Step is definitely a step-up (pun fully intended). I’m actually rather surprised. I’ll give the other three sides a listen and see if there are any problems, but so far this is truly exceptional.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You listened to one whole side? All the way through? :yikes:

Seriously, nice write up thus far.

snorker likes this.
  21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

:laugh: Listened to the entire One-Step last night, but I only compared the first two tracks to the Impex. The whole thing is excellent!

22. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Any news on ELO Eldorado. Also, have there been any other titles added. It's strange Stebie Ray Vaughan- Couldn't Stand the Weather hasn't made the light of day yet. Have had that preordered for ever.

23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

@MOON, is ELO in the works? I asked them last week and they said I already have everything pre-ordered:

Yes -Fragile;
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn’t Stand the Weather; and
    Mingus - Ah Um.

What else is available for pre-order?

TDurden likes this.
  24. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Has everyone received the Monk that ordered it? Are they still shipping?

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Monk record sounds amazing. Packaging/vinyl perfect as it should be.