Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

There is a new graphic novel that is fantastic called Behind The Curtain with Jim Cornette. I originally planned to order the hardcover autographed version when they were released but he sold out of them in 3 days (I was waiting on pay day and missed 'em).

So I ended up ordering the softcover from Amazon and it is a great read. I had always heard the name "Sputnik Monroe" but never knew the story behind him and how he broke barriers for black wrestling fans. If you get a chance pick it up, it's a good read.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Jim-Cornette-Presents-Curtain-Wrestling/dp/1684054923

Even cheaper at B&N

Barnes & Noble

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A new one from Wrestling Bios

Dugan, Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  3. MikeInFla

The Cauliflower Alley Club has announced that Rick Bognar, who is best known for playing the fake Razor Ramon in the WWF and Big Titan in FMW in Japan, has passed away at the age of 49.

905 likes this.
  4. MikeInFla

Anyone watch AEW last night? It was fantastic! The production was much better than I expected. And to hear Tony and Jim together again was great! Some really good matches (a few botched moves but that is to be expected). And I loved the ending!

Man, Jack Swagger came out of nowhere! I was not expecting that and I gotta say he looked to be in tremendous shape! Also did not expect to see Moxley since he had been dealing with some health issues.

Over all a very good show and brought back a lot of memories with Tony and Jim and was nice to see them go old school and have Tony (attempt) to interview talent at ring side.

5. diveintoyesterday

diveintoyesterday Forum Resident

I'm planning on watching the show tonight, sounds like it was a good one by all accounts.
    Really looking forward to hearing Jim Cornette's thoughts on it on his podcast tomorrow too.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I watched AEW . great product

7. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Watched AEW on DVR... was glad I made the choice to watch NXT Live.

Dugan likes this.
  8. jmobrien68

9. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. jmobrien68

Wait till you see the rating AEW pops when their most over performer gets some airtime... the Luchasaurus!
    Heard the Jurrasic Express took the roof off the place during a post tv dark match.

DrStroganoff and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. MikeInFla

The Wrap reports that AEW Dynamite drew 1.409 million viewers last night, easily beating NXT on USA which drew 891,000 viewers (which is down 11% from last week).

Dynamite also more than doubled NXT in the key 18-49 demographic, drawing 878,000 viewers to NXT’s 414,000. Dynamite finished #2 in the key 18-49 demo for the night, behind only the MLB Wild Card game (which did a 1.03).

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. jmobrien68

Ok... I'm a mark... but this whole WWE on Fox thing tonight is really exciting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Eh, from the sound of it, it will be another glorified RAW/Smackdown with Vince trotting out a bunch of old stars to make up for the fact that most of their current stars are zeroes (compared to stars of the past). This is like putting a silk suit on a pig.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Pretty much. My interest in WWE has never been lower than it has these last few years. Only so many times I can watch them drag out the same two dozen legends.

15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Sorry but wasting the Rock on Baron Corbin was a complete waste. Good old Vince forcing guys he likes upon us even when the fans have time and time again shown Corbins character is a bore.

16. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

My father took me and my brother to a wrestling match once. I used to watch it almost every week with my family but I stopped when I was in college. My old roommate's sister was an Olympic gold medallist.

17. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Good to know they are still forcing the whole Corbin thing. You would think the old man would realize by now that no one cares about Corbin.

18. noname74

Wow that ending was weak. Poor Kofi...what a way to drop the title. Job to Lesnar in what 10 seconds??

19. MikeInFla

Yep, Rock reminded me that the people there today need work when it comes to cutting a promo. And where were all the promised legends? Sting? Never saw him or any other legend.

Then Braun draws the attention of someone in the first row. Someone I have never seen before and don't know who he is.

Finally, Brock wins in seconds (which I thought was kind of hilarious). Then ANOTHER guy I don't know and never heard of walks out to OMG LOOK WHO IT IS!! So I turned it off because I really don't give two craps about who Rey brought out. So I've watched my Smackdown for the year and done til Mania.

Looks like I'll be getting my weekly fix from AEW and old Bobby Heenan clips from YouTube.

Oh yeah. I refer to Corbin as Boring Corbin. It fits him perfectly!

Matthew Tate and Sammy Banderas like this.
  20. noname74

I didn’t know who they were either so I googled them. The front row guy is a boxer. The guy with Mysterio is a little more interesting..he’s the guy that beat Lesnar in UFC. So he’s actually someone that he would legitimately (in a kayfabe way) fear. I guess he messes up his knee so he may transition to WWE if he can’t rehab it and compete in UFC anymore.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. diveintoyesterday

Bit late to the party but I thought the AEW Dynamite show was really good. WWE could certainly learn a thing or two from their show about having a more sports based presentation rather than trying to “sports entertain”
    Really looking forward to next weeks show and I’m curious how they’re going to use characters like Joey Janela and Orange Cassidy who I’m admittedly not a huge fan of.

22. MikeInFla

NWA wrestling is releasing new episodes on YouTube at 6:05 (Turner Time!) on Tuesdays. Old school, studio wrestling at its best!

FF to 3 minutes (4:25 if you don't want to hear Dokken, I wanted to hear it so I let it play).

Really has that old school feel. I am glad we have many choices again like we did years ago!

Paul R, Stormrider77, JPagan and 3 others like this.
  23. diveintoyesterday

I'm looking forward to checking this out, I've heard a lot of good things about the show. I'm getting classic Memphis/Mid South vibes!

Is Cornette doing commentary for this?

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. MikeInFla

Yes, Corny is there. the whole show is old school. There is even a jobber match in the middle of the card.

[​IMG]

25. diveintoyesterday

I'm sold! Love me some Corny.

After being in the doldrums for what seems like an eternity, wrestling is in one hell of a good place these days.

Long may it continue.