Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Agreed and given the TP series is not replicating MM it makes for a good business case to feed the 33 fans.

recstar24 likes this.
  2. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I would definitely go for a new batch of 33 SRX titles assuming I don’t already have them in another MMJ format.

3. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

If they are redoing 45 rpm titles onto 33 SRX I would love that! I did hear a rumor that Blue Train was bring repressed on SRX and that jackets were at the printer.

4. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Speak Like A Child is one of my top 3 favorite MMs, and one of my favorite records in general! I agree about the bass. I have bass player friends who feel that Ron Carter never sounded better. I don’t have a problem with the tonality being too dark. The piano might be a little dark, but the drums are still nice and crisp. I’m just so glad they got to do this one. So, the master is unusable now?

MisterBritt likes this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

sonically the MM is worth it just to hear the full awesomeness of Ron Carter for me :) good to hear you and bass player friends feel similarly!

yes, the master tape is unusable, so this would be one to get sooner than later, or snag an OG which should still be decently priced.

wellers73 likes this.
  6. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

What has happened to the master since the MM release?

7. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

What happened to the master tapes?

8. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Okay, who's been calling and emailing the Jazz Record Center for MMJ since my post? I went back and an employee was going through the new vinyl section and pulling out ALL of the MMJ titles. Said people have been all the sudden calling and emailing for titles. I mentioned that it *might* have been my post on the SFH board.

Then when I was looking at albums, Fred the owner came back and said, "So, it was you?!" :winkgrin:

MisterBritt, recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  9. I'm guilty for a phone call! Snagged Blue Hour for $40! :winkgrin:

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  10. TheIncredibleHoke

Oh man, that's a good one. One of the smokiest late night albums I own.

Fred was like, "They've cleaned us out!" I apologized thinking he might have been a little miffed about it, but he was like "No, it's great. Lots of sales of expensive albums!"

11. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Oh, man! There are still 2 or 3 I need. Surely they're gone by now. Where did Fred get the stock from?

12. TheIncredibleHoke

The other employee (hadn't met him before, but he was really nice) said that he purchased a collection and there were dozens of sealed MMJs.

If you want any others, I would go quick. They had stacks of them up by the register separating them out. Not sure if they took everything or left some.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Guilty as charged. Waiting on an email from Fred. :D

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  14. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

:hide:

15. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

I have all of the Music Matters 45's and the majority of the 33's. I have to say when I listened to "Speak Like a Child"(and I havent listened to it in a while) I was really disapointed in the sound quality. Ill have to listen to it again, but it was a let down after all these stellar sounding lps.

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

just for reference, what would you say are the top 3 to your ears in sound quality? Just trying to get an idea of what you consider top notch.

17. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I just won an eBay auction for Stanley Turrentine's Jubilee Shout!!! for a fair price and is one of the Music Matters pressing that I've been wanting to get for a long while since instantly falling in love with the session.

Shipping price from US to Canada is kind of high but for a double 45RPM LP album, it's actually not too bad in which I'd likely pay over $25 USD easily.

alarickc, DeRosa, Hgavinyl and 6 others like this.
  18. Pulled the trigger on Evolution and The Real McCoy. Super excited for both, but Evolution in particular. I can’t wait!

19. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

After a lot of back and forth, managed to score "Us Three" by Horace Parlan for $40!
    Another MM bargain from this thread. Gotta love this forum!
    I must have asked Fred to look for just about every 33rpm title.:rolleyes:
    He had Mobley's "Soul Station" for $70 and Dexter's "Gettin Around" for $60 still available if anyone else is interested. Too pricey for me.

TheIncredibleHoke and recstar24 like this.
  20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Unless I missed them previously, looks like a few of the OOS titles just showed up at Elusive Disc for about $100 a pop.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

$100 a pop?!? Try $250-450 a pop. Yeesh.

22. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Huh? Royal Flush, Easy Living, Gigolo, and a few others are $99.99 to be exact.

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Oops! My bad. I had been reading a series of Alerts of posts on the MoFi One-Steps. Then I clicked on an alert and it brought me to your post, but still thinking it was the MoFi thread. Sorry.

In any event, I suppose that $100 for rare MM releases is "okay" for those who want them, but if they're merely warehouse finds, then ED is overcharging, in my opinion.

GentleSenator and recstar24 like this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

wake me up when soul station 33 is available <$100

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

You might want to switch to some stronger coffee.

GentleSenator likes this.