Ripping Dolby TrueHD / DTS-MA --> FLAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I thought this also, but checking again, it says "Dolby ATMOS - 96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 - 96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo". The "96kHz/24bit" designation is not for the ATMOS track.

Thanks, I did find that (I think). It does seem odd as I also find this: "Dolby Atmos audio can be encoded with Dolby TrueHD at multiple sampling rates (including 48 and 96 kHz) and bit depths (16- and 24-bit)". So apparently the format is capable but the authoring tools are not?

I'm still wondering about the file size discrepancy for the Abbey Road BD. The DTS-MA track is about 2.5GB and converts to a flac file of about 2.5GB also, which makes sense. But the Atmos track demuxes to a 4.5GB file that converts to a flac file of only 1.4GB. It makes sense that a 96kHz 5.1 flac would be larger than one at 48kHz 7.1. But I don't understand why the demuxed raw Atmos file is so large.

2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Part of the answer is you lose Atmos in a FLAC rip.

3. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Must be. That's a lot of atmos. :)

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

You are really on to the 64k question and I don't have the answer.

My questions are, where exactly is the object metadata stored on an Atmos blu-ray and where is that additional information stored that the metadata is drawing upon?

Is that "hidden" data in the rear surround channels, or throughout the entire 7.1 channels?

Dinstun likes this.
  5. kavie87

kavie87 Forum Resident

I'm having no luck with the MKA files. I rip the dolby atmos entire album on MakeMKV and then convert the MKV into chapters using MKVtoolNix. I then re add them into MKVtoolNIX removing the chapters and the video file. changed the name of the files. Put them on a usb stick into the nvidia shield using Kodi. I just get drop outs. It comes up on my amp saying Dolby Atmos. Am I missing a step? I have also done it straight up removing the video and chapters straight away same issue. (when I open it in kodi in music I get a heap of chapters... Really odd... any suggestions on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

6. William Barty

William Barty Forum Resident

I had the same issue and researched it. Your ripped files are OK.

The problem is with Kodi on the Nvidia Shield. It has to do with the very high bitrate that Abbey Road's Atmos track has (peaks of about 16Mbps) -- way higher than any earlier Atmos music files that I've encountered (e.g. REM's Automatic for the People [peaks of about 1oMbps] or INXS's Kick [peaks of about 11 Mbps]). The high bit rate can't be handled by the way that Kodi processes the track. It also affects a few UHD movies, like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales.
    Atmos Skipping (High bitrate audio files)
    Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD

There's a workaround for Kodi on Windows using LAV Filters. I also found that it plays OK on Windows using PowerDVD.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    elvisizer and Hymie the Robot like this.
  7. kavie87

kavie87 Forum Resident

Thanks. Glad I’m not going crazy or did anything wrong. So just hang tight for the mean time...

8. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

I created the MKA files with mkvtoolnix and imported them into JRiver. The files don’t trigger a switch to Atmos mode on my Marantz preamp even though I set JRiver to use HDMI bitstreaming. Movies with Atmos soundtracks play correctly. Do you have any suggestions about something I may have missed?

9. John Lloyd

My problem is even stranger than I originally thought. If I include the video portion of the track, then JRiver does bitstream the Atmos track. However it treats the file a video even though it still has the .mka extension. A lot of the information I added with MP3Tags is thrown away and the files are not identified as the album Abbey Road. I cannot associate album artwork with the file and the screen is blank unless I use File-> Opem Media File to play the track.

10. John Lloyd

It turns out that JRiver does not support bit streaming a file without any video components. There is a separate audio engine used for these files and it can only bitstream DSD content. I have asked them to include support for Doby Atmos audio files in the next release but I am not holding my breath. I suppose I will have to double the size of each file and just include a video stream as well.

11. Hymie the Robot

Audiomuxer feature doubles the size when doing this?

12. John Lloyd

The video stream for eaCh track seems to be same size as the Atmos data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.