When did Mick Taylor start to get sick of the Stones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that MT was already starting to get sick of being a Stone after only a year of being a member, is this correct? Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of how early MT started to feel he wanted out?

Some other questions:
    Was Keith Richards ever thinking about booting MT out of the band? If he hadn't quit would KR have fire him and brought Ron Wood in?

How was MT treated in the Stones? Did he get on with the other members? Did he ever enjoy it?

Any info most welcome!

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I can't answer a lot of what you ask, but since it took so long to replace MT, I doubt Ron Wood was the first person brought in to audition.

somnar likes this.
  3. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

4. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

When the smack really kicked in.

Comet01, Aftermath, alchemy and 19 others like this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I love the Mick Taylor years. Love all the years but those were some good ones for music.

6. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

Unfortunately, this is probably on the mark. Taylor may
    well have quit the Stones as a matter of sheer survival.

2141, Comet01, The Cat 3 and 19 others like this.
  7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not just Rory Gallagher, but Jeff Beck and several others. Ronnie obviously worked out very well, but he might've been 5th choice as replacement.

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Mick and Keith would never have chosen a guitarist who had any chance of competing for attention. Beck, Gallagher, Marriott would all have been an issue.
    Ronson was one of the best sidemen ever and I think preferred to be in a supporting role, but I wonder how his considerable arranging skills would have been received by Jagger and Richards. Shades of Brian Jones, perhaps?

9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Also Wayne Perkins & Harvey Mandel during the Black & Blue sessions.

10. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.
    (attention = songwriting credits/royalties)

11. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

26th March 1972, 3.47pm.

Graham, Dornelles, zebop and 14 others like this.
  12. Say It Right

We've had these discussions at least a few times.

When Mick Taylor replaced Brian Jones, there basically was nobody else considered. True?

Then when MT left, the situation was much more complex. Agreed that they wouldn't have allowed anybody to "upstage" them, but when brainstorming, no consideration is given to potential, future problems. Just list everyone possible! Maybe Frampton was even mentioned?

13. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

Regarding Rory Gallagher's potential position in the band, Bill Wyman said that
    Gallagher would have been relegated to "playing guitar solos and learning to put
    up with two massive egos."

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

What does the OP's question have to do with these answers? Every time Mick Taylor's name comes up, no matter the context, it's followed by the same laundry list of who they auditioned, and whether Ron Wood was the right choice. I don't think there's a clear answer to the actual question proposed, but I have often wondered what was going through Taylor's mind during those years with the greatest rock 'n roll band. Was he just too shallow to appreciate his position? Too introverted to let anything show? Or was he deeply troubled by the decadence surrounding the band? He can't even answer the direct question of why he quit, so it's really just speculation at this point. Considering he never really made an impression musically after leaving, it seems he may have regretted it. Another theory is that he was just too young and consciously unable to see his role objectively, or how truly great his contribution and position was at the time.

15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I heard that Taylor thought about bailing during the Goats Head sessions in late '72/early '73. Paul Rodgers was sniffing around trying to poach him for what became Bad Company

KR wouldn't have fired MT without really good cause to do so — he was pissed off when Taylor finally jumped ship ("no one leaves this band outside of a coffin" etc.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Not well received at all , I would imagine.

17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hyde Park show 1969.

18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Choosing the lead guitarist from The Faces (whose last three albums had been big hits in the UK, and A Nod... was #6 Billboard and certified Gold in the US) would seem to be a risky move, then.

ARK, john lennonist, dzjc and 2 others like this.
  19. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

funny.:biglaugh:

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  20. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Not sure when, but here's my guess:
    When you write a song as breathtakingly beautiful as "Time Waits For No One" and don't receive any credit for it. That would have been it for me.

I love Mick and Keith as much as any Stones fan, but there is a complexity to that song that is far beyond their songwriting skills.

painted8, The MEZ, Ludger and 13 others like this.
  21. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

There was an interview before Exile came out and Taylor said he had contributed writing to a few of the songs. When he only received one credit (for Ventilator Blues) I believe he was very disappointed.

Revolver, 2141, groundharp and 10 others like this.
  22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

How many times has Ronnie had a solo spot in a Stones concert to sing one of his own songs?

Sorry I’ve digressed from the OP question. I’m sure lack of writing credits and substances were the major reasons for Taylor’s disillusion with the group.

NudieSuitNezHead and 2141 like this.
  23. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

*Mick Taylor has in fact said this many times.

24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

First of all, he was never an equal in any sense. He only got 1 co-write credit and on a comparatively minor tune, unlike the ones he transformed into epics, like "Moonlight Mile," "Time Waits For No One" and "Winter". He also was on salary, like a hired hand, as was Woody until... 1989, when Charlie & Bill confronted Jagger & Richards about it.

2141, Aftermath and BourbonAndVinyl like this.
  25. Say It Right

Some time back, yours truly made the point that Mick & Keith didn't write songs like "Time Waits for No One" after MT left. Apparently, that was entering restricted terrain. It didn't take long for another member to shoot back, "Well, Mick Taylor didn't write songs like that since!"

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.