When There's No More Room In Hell... 'Dawn of the Dead' coming in 4K

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hermit, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976 Thread Starter

2. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

It will have all three cuts in UHD :righton:. I still have the old Arrow bluray that only had the theatrical version in HD.

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Wow, wow, wow! I wish it’d also include the 3D version but I’ll gladly take it.

Richard--W likes this.
  4. The Hermit

Now it has a release date and specs galore... hoo-boy; this is without doubt the ultimate Dawn of the Dead set;

Second Sight Fully Details Their ‘Dawn of the Dead’ 4K UHD Release and It’s Packed With New Stuff

Kudos for them releasing it on standard Blu ray as well as UHD.

I always preferred the so-called 'extended cut' so it'll be great to see it in a beautifully-remastered 4K transfer... and as I suspected, the original camera negative is George Romero's preferred 127-minute theatrical version... but the 139-minute longer cut should still look amazing as it's essentially the original camera negative scan but with the additional twelve minutes of footage for the extended cut sourced from the master interpositive... hopefully it will be seamless.

Romero's masterpiece and the last word in zombie movies...

5. ries

ries Forum Resident

Jup, Its one of my favorite films of all time, and was holding it off buying it on bluray (have still the old Anchor Bay dvd), so I will be going all out on this one. Prolly get the UHD and the Bluray versions (since I dont have yet a UHD screen).

Second Sight's twitter said it was weighing a kilogram!

The plan was to open pre-orders on the 27th of march, but that now got delayed with the current health crises. The releasedate is still planned to go ahead.

6. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

This is my third favorite film of all time and I’ve been eagerly awaiting this. I’ll be crossing the border to Canada when I can to pick up a Panasonic oled.

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I agree DAWN OF THE DEAD is a masterpiece. A low-budget independently-made
    masterpiece. No expensive Guild contracts, no big movie stars to jack up the cost,
    and nobody misses them. Romero made this film from scratch to the ground up. It's
    a filmmaker's film. I prefer the 127-minute theatrical version that I saw many times
    when it was new. I'm okay with the extended cut, but I dislike Argento's version with
    its distracting score (and I'm an Argento fan, too).

I avoid gory movies. I'm not a fan of living dead movies or the series The Walking Dead,
    a program which I dislike for several reasons (I hung on through season 4 ... or was it 5).
    But Romero's films are different. He did more with less. It's his story everybody else is
    riffing and profiteering on.

I'm old enough to remember NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) when it was new.
    It stayed in theaters for several years. As soon as it left one screen, it appeared on another.
    It became a co-feature and a midnight movie and continued to draw crowds up through
    the late 1970s. By the time I saw it in 1970, it was already a phenomenon. And the film
    more than rewards its' reputation. It was Romero's first film and his first masterpiece.

Anyhow, I'm buying the box-set and Romero's novel. I have quite a collection on these
    films and on Romero.

The Hermit likes this.
  8. Richard--W

It's a shame we're not getting the 3-D conversion. I've heard good things
    about it. It's theatrical release was badly bungled. Normally I'm against
    conversions of flat films because it's not the way they're intended to be
    seen when they were made, but I make exception for Dawn of the Dead.
    Perhaps the 3-D conversion will be separate a release sometime.

9. The Hermit

The theatrical cut is the one I saw first back in the early 1990's - albeit cut to ribbons by the British censors! - but once I saw the so-called 'extended cut' (which is something of a misnomer as it was actually the first completed cut of that movie shown in public), I knew it was the definitive version... and I haven't wavered on that estimation. The 127-minute theatrical cut bothers me from the outset as the music during the opening television station sequence is totally misplaced for the overall tone, it takes me out of the scene... the 139-minute longer cut's music in that scene is more tonal, more oppressive, conveying the gravity of the rapidly deteriorating situation. Plus there's nice character moments in the extended version that the theatrical cut excises. The longer version just feels more 'complete' to me... and I'm not one for extended versions, believe me, but in this instance, I think George Romero got it right first time...

The 119-minute Argento version I've never seen... and never will.

Dawn of the Dead is so good and the last word in zombie movies that not even Romero could follow it up...

EVOLVIST likes this.
  10. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Yep, after checking out the article on Bloody Disgusting, I'd say it's a mandatory purchase.

11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Great movie. I may like Day Of The Dead just a tad more, but that's being picky.

beat_truck likes this.
  12. ries

ries Forum Resident

HEADSUP:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TLDR: Bluray 70 pounds, UHD Bluray: 80 pounds. UK only pre-orders start May 26th, other retailers will follow (Amazon uk, Zavvi). For people in US: Diabolikdvd have already confirmed they will be selling this through their website.

CANT WAIT!

realkilroy likes this.
  13. Richard--W

Jolly good news.

Nothing said about the 3-D conversion being included?
    Stereoscopic experts who've seen the conversion say it's state-of-the-art.

14. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Cheapest pre-order that I've seen so far is HMV at 74.99 (with free postage)

Amazon have yet to announce their pricing.

15. The Hermit

Apparently, the so-called 'extended cut' is being sourced partially from a Color Reversal Internegative not an Interpositive as I incorrectly stated above... I'm no technical expert in these matters, but is a CRI better or worse than an IP to use as source for a remastering?

@Vidiot...?

16. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Would y'all believe I'm STILL watching my Anchor Bay DiviMax DVD all these years? Remains a stellar transfer in this version...

[​IMG]

I actually prefer Zack Snyder's remake, personally......:hide::hide:

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

CRI's are haaaaaaarible for digital mastering. My joke is it doesn't stand for "Color Reversal Internegative" -- it should stand for "Color Really Icky." If only some of the scenes come from CRI, and they spend a lot of time cleaning it up and matching it to everything else, it could work to a point.

The Hermit likes this.
  18. The Hermit

That does not fill me with confidence, it has to be said.

Why they haven't used an IP - supposing one exists of the extended cut, considering how good it looks on broadcast - is beyond me, surely that would be better overall...

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Usually when they have to use a CRI, it's because that's all there is. If they reach for the cans of film in the vault, and the original negative or the IP is just not there, that's what you got. I know of cases where they had reels 1-5 of the original negative, but only a print for the final reel. It's either use that or don't release it at all on home video. We do our best and try to make it work.

20. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I’m just excited to have the extended cut in HD. At some point I’d like to track down the Extended Mall Hours cut since that will probably never get released officially.

21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

In those cases, do you "dumb down" reels 1-5 to sit better with the print reel, or do you just let it fly, knowing there'll be an image quality drop towards the end of the movie?

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, I make everything look as good as I possibly can. Usually the reel changes (going from, say, R4AB to R5AB) are a completely new scene, so it doesn't look that bad. If it's right in the middle of the scene, then I'd have to figure out a way to make the negative look more like the print, because the print will never look like the negative. The key is to make it match in the middle and that takes time.

23. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I hope this release finally makes Dawn of the Dead accessible on download and streaming sites, and thus more generally available. This is the best of Romero's Dead series, and it has always been the only one you couldn't find on, say, iTunes or Apple TV+.

24. ries

ries Forum Resident

amazon uk matched the HMV prices, placed my order there!

25. rockphantom

rockphantom Forum Resident

My order for the 4K UK Dawn of the Dead box at ImportCDs.com was cancelled this morning and now it is no longer listed on the site.
    Has the Dawn 4K box been cancelled? Information would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.