Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Typecasting must be frustrating.

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Brenald79 likes this.
  4. alexpop

Got Justified dvd box again so I’ll be giving this action over the weekend.

LOST ( complete) fourth time viewing was really great. The last time I seen it must have been 2015.

Also picked up TWD ..Season 1-6( already have S7/8).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Brenald79 likes this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’d be shocked if Justified doesn’t crack your top 12 all time.

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, great show, especially once it gets moving and they start getting heavily into the different story arcs of each season instead of just all the separate stories mostly in S1. And Walton Goggins' solidifies his standing as one of the greatest actors ever in my book with that show. He literally steals every scene he is in in that series (and there are quite a few). Satisfying wrapup at the end as well.

7. alexpop

Got TWD S9 (new) also True Detective S3 ( new )report back!!!!

trumpet sounds and Brenald79 like this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

TrueDetective S3 was OK, better than S2 IMO, but nowhere as good as S1

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

That’s what I’m finding.. atmospheric, sure...but slow.A bit disappointed to be honest.

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Depicts senility well, what people go through there. Hard to follow in spots with all the time jumps. Doesn't really have much going on until like the very end though, IIRC.

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

Have to have subtitles, lead actor..hard to make out his accent. Mind you he was fine in Green Book. Aside ..no biggie, as I usually have subtitles up anyway :).

slipkid likes this.
  12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Goggins character is so multilayered; the kind of role that most actors dream about. It seemed tailor made for him.

Growing up in Kentucky, there was an extra layer of subtext for me that made Justified all the more satisfying.

alexpop, Brenald79 and slipkid like this.
  13. alexpop

Yeah! The flashbacks didn’t help. Ending wasn’t dramatic enough. I’d give S3 a 7/10, season 2 7.5/10 and S1 - 9.5/10.

Again with S3, I was expecting it to be much better. Atmospheric sure, acting very good. Just needed stronger storytelling.

slipkid likes this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Me too. I sometimes can't make out what actors are saying, having subs helps me not miss some key points I might have misunderstood otherwise.

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

No probs with 1940s movies, perfect diction.

16. alexpop

Seems I did this series a disservice.
    When season 3 started Justified just got better for me. Best season ? S4.

Apparently Timothy Olyphant said “who ever closed Justified down should be fired”.

He’s great also in A Perfect Getaway(2009).

Aside ..
    Looks like I have to search for another cop series.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    slipkid and Brenald79 like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

My fave was S3. Ton of cool stuff and new interesting characters. Season starts off with a major bang in first episode with that icepick hitman & his subsequent showdown with Raylan (over the course of the series Raylan has many showdowns but that one and the one he has with the gunslinger in the last season are my favorites). That season keeps on building right until the awesome last episode.

And S4? Wow as well, as you say. Very cool mystery to unravel there. And that episode with the psychic? Awesome. A lot of great moments in that entire show.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Yeah I would rate them ...
    S4
    S6
    S3 /S5
    S2
    S1

Enjoyed seeing Deadwood,
    Lost, BB ...actors in Justified.

Yeah the end showdown was something else.
    Raylan has to be the coolest cop ( marshal).

Always sad when I finish a great tv series.

On reflection ..I’m sure I’ll appreciate S1/S2 more the next time I revisit Justified.

Brenald79, unclefred and slipkid like this.
  19. alexpop

Started on Good Cop ( BBC 2012).
    4 episodes ..pretty good drama / thriller so far.
    Same director as Fortitude.

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, there are a lot of actors in Justified that I saw in other shows which I also hold in high regard. The icepick hitman for instance was one of the cops in a couple seasons of Dexter, the actress playing Mags was in Dexter too (& she won an emmy for her role in Justified IIRC). The actor who plays Dewey Crowe throughout the series is quite amazing in Quarry too (got turned onto that thx to this thread, bummer it was only one season long/got canceled/etc).

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Dewey Crowe /Damon Herriman was excellent, upstaging Walton Goggins at times.

Yeah Quarry, enjoyed that short lived TV series.

Veech and slipkid like this.
  22. alexpop

Mags ?’
    The Leftovers
    Handmaid’s Tale
    True Detective

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I saw all 3 seasons of True Detective, didn't remember her even being in there! Haven't seen those other shows.

alexpop likes this.
  24. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Travelers
    Needn't be a sci-fi buff to enjoy: "Hundreds of years in the future, the last surviving humans discover a way of sending consciousness back through time, directly into people in the 21st century -- "travelers," who assume the lives of seemingly random people. They're also secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future."

This is me: ...while, simultaneously, adjusting to living in these bodies & getting caught up in those lives. ~
    Show comes off more as an action/drama than sci-fi. Human-interest.

"The first season of Travelers has a score of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes based on nine reviews with an average rating of 8.0/10.[9] Neil Genzlinger, writing for The New York Times, described the first season as "tasty", and "enjoyable science fiction", with "some attention-grabbing flourishes and fine acting".[10] Hanh Nguyen, writing for IndieWire, describes the series as "fun and freaky," finding the series' appeal "in how the core group of five travelers adjust to life in our present," noting the "human nature in the travelers".[11] Lawrence Devoe, of TheaterByte.com, called the series "tautly paced and suspenseful" with "well-developed characters", declaring that "Brad Wright has a real knack for creating futuristic series".[12] Evan Narcisse, reviewing the first five episodes for io9, appreciated the moral dilemmas offered by the series premise and the awkwardness presented by the characters' interactions with their hosts' friends, colleagues, lovers, or caretakers: "This is a superhero show in double disguise, offering up clever explorations of the secret identity concept that touch on the guilt and contortions that come with living a double life."[13] Netflix announced that the series was one of its "most devoured" series in 2017.[14]"

:thumbsup::thumbsup: [​IMG] :thumbsup::thumbsup:

25. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Life
    Crime Drama/Mystery.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:[​IMG] :thumbsup::thumbsup:

"Life," from Rand Ravich ("The Astronaut's Wife") and Far Shariat ("Confessions of a Dangerous Mind"), focuses on a detective who is given a second chance. Golden Globe nominee Damian Lewis ("Band of Brothers") plays complex, offbeat Detective Charlie Crews, who returns to the force after serving time in prison for a crime he didn't commit. Lewis is joined by cast members Sarah Shahi ("Rush Hour 3") as Dani Reese, Charlie's skeptical and demanding partner; Brent Sexton (HBO's "Deadwood") as Officer Bobby Stark; Donal Logue ("Grounded for Life)" as Captain Kevin Tidwell, and Adam Arkin ("Chicago Hope") as Crew's former cellmate Ted Earley."