George Michael Music Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GMfan87', Sep 30, 2019.

1. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sean, ispace and JeffMo like this.
  2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

When I was a teenager I was getting a haircut at the mall and they played one of his songs in the shop...I think it was “Faith.” The haircut wasn’t so good but I only paid about $8 for it, so I wasn’t that surprised. Hair always grows back.

3. GMfan87'

Andrew Ridgeley will be on Graham Norton show tonight, look out for it on yt .. His book George and Me will be out in US on the 8th.

ispace and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Great song - I used to have an instrumental b-side version on a cassingle back in the day. Remember those?

I was disappointed the Faith box a couple years ago didn't include the instrumental track.

Carlox likes this.
  5. GMfan87'

I do! The box set could of included much better things IMO. Were you disappointed in it?

6. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Great under-rated artist. I think he cheapened his skills with some of his subject choices.
    For me, his brilliance is sporadic. Although even "White Light" was better than 99% of the pop in todays charts.

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was actually. Had I been asked to compile I would have rounded up all a-sides and b-sides including the monogamy mix of Sex. And my biggest gripe is not including a live disc from that great tour!

Karnak, JSKC and Hep Alien like this.
  8. GMfan87'

Yes! Cd and DVD would of been nice.
    I didn't purchase it, didn't like how he had all the instrumentals instead of including maybe whatever else he thought was good but didn't fit on the album (couple that we got for some reason on LWP box set).

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Faith" is one of the best Pop albums of the last 40 years.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Neither box set has been compiled well. I don’t understand how David Austin would botch it so badly. Fantasy is on both? Unplugged from ‘96 on LWP?

Frustrating isn’t it?

pwhytey, Carlox, Karnak and 2 others like this.
  11. GMfan87'

Yes but GM was supposed to have been working on the box set so given his past choices I'm assuming he stuck some randoms on there. You are right , makes no sense.

JeffMo likes this.
  12. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I agree that GM is under rated. Since his passing, many people have recognized his singing talent. To me, he possessed one of the best voice (which is very strong and musical), and had great singing ability with clarity and to evoke emotion.

His writing ability, to me, is more under-rated. His brilliance is spontaneous (seemingly), to me. I think he was pretty consistent from Make It Big until Older. Patient is kind of mixed bag. His ability to write, arrange, play instruments, sing and produce is unique and manifests his talent.

As to his writing subject choices, to my understanding, he wrote his emotion and experience, and was not afraid to talk about sensitive subjects (I Want Your Sex was too provocative when it was released, for example). Some of this topic choices may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Being a GM fan, I might be a bit biased, but I have been happy to see that his brilliance seems to be more and more recognized. may this continue.

DiWil, pwhytey, keyXVII and 11 others like this.
  13. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Funny you mentioned him because the first album I just for him was Older. Heard he was a real talented guy so I checked him out.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I think Patience suffers from cd bloat - in an LP format you can cobble together a strong 8-10 song album.

Let's be honest, GM was not exactly prolific!

DiWil, TheClammer and Dukes Travels like this.
  15. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Yes, Patience is the only album he decided to put on some 14 songs, some of which like Precious Box is 7 min long.

16. GMfan87'

Yes it is a mixed bag. Precious Box sort of grew on me actually.

Two of Diamonds likes this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't know about under-rated, either at the time or now, but he was certainly talented and produced some great music.

I didn't care much for Wham!'s material, except for the late single "Everything She Wants", which made me sit up and take notice. I think a lot of people, myself included, were somewhat cynical when the Faith album was released - there was a bit of snickering along the lines of "pretty boy George starts to look all macho." The cynicism however disappeared on hearing some of the songs.

I was never one of those who loved everything he did. All his albums contain several brilliant songs and a few that are somewhat ho hum. Unfortunately some of his best songs did not appear on albums - notably Too Funky, White Light, and December Song, as well as his collaborations with Aretha Franklin and others. The Ladies and Gentlemen compilation went some way towards rectifying this.

I regard "Older" as probably the most consistently good of his studio albums. A couple of the songs from that were IMO improved by the later remixes that appear on L&G.

Lots of people seem to dismiss Patience as inferior to the rest, but I don't think it is, at least not significantly so. Like the others, it has half a dozen songs that I could say I love, and the rest are just OK.

skisdlimit, Jarleboy, CDV and 3 others like this.
  18. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

I love George Michael. I've been of the opinion for many years that from a purely technical point of view, he's the most talented pop vocalist of the past 35 years.

19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Great vocalist but not a great songwriter.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting - that is my favorite song on Patience!

Two of Diamonds likes this.
  21. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I like Precious Box but am not crazy about it. It is probably because I do not like house music that much in general.

Retropsych likes this.
  22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

My favourites:

1. Round Here
    2. Amazing
    3. Precious Box
    in that order.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

My order is
    Patience
    Through
    Round Here
    Amazing

When I fist listened to Patience album, I liked Precious Box a lot. I still like it now, but just somehow feel a bit down after listening to it a few times.

24. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Is this a good album at all? I'm just getting into George, so far bought ..
    Prejudice Vol.1 and Older

JeffMo likes this.
  25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes it is, in my opinion. As I said. However you picked a good pair to begin with.

MikeManaic61 likes this.