Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

According to IMDb, the film was shot (at least partly) with an Arri Alexa 65:

Arri Alexa (ARRI ALEXA 65, ARRI Rental Prime DNA Lenses)
    Arri Alexa 65, Hasselblad Prime DNA Lenses
    Arri Alexa LF, Hasselblad Prime DNA Lenses
    Arri Alexa Mini, Hasselblad Prime DNA Lenses

...which means that it can take advantage of the IMAX format.

agentalbert likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

AO Scott once again proving to me he’s the crappiest reviewer the Times has ever had. He’s just lousy as a reviewer and as a writer. I disagree with Manola Dargis a lot of the time, but she is a damn fine critic and a helluva writer. AO Scott is just weak. No where the pantheon of great NEw York critics. Pauline Kael would have loved Joker!

‘Joker’ Review: Are You Kidding Me?

yesstiles likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

$$$

GodShifter likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hmmm...

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The question I had is if the same actress plays the social worker in the office and in the mental hospital. My son seemed to think it was the same--which would lend more credence to your theory--but I'm not so sure.

JohnK

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Could be. Though I'm not from the NYC area, I saw some "Joe Franklin" in the 80s - I think it was syndicated for a while, and IIRC, it ran after Letterman at 1:30 AM locally.

Anyway, I'm no Joe expert, but I've seen enough to know his show was nothing like Murray's. Murray's show is clearly 99% inspired by Carson's!

7. Oatsdad

It's 1.85:1 so it pretty much matches LieMAX screens, but I'm pretty sure none of it was shot real IMAX, so it wouldn't benefit from those screens unlike the last 2 Nolan Batmans...

8. Oatsdad

Nice theory, but different actors!

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yep. Different actors. Was about to answer that.

Sharon Washington was the Social Worker

April Grace was the Psychiatrist at Arkham Hospital

Oatsdad likes this.
  10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Joker Director Reveals Why the Final Scene Is So Important

So, basically, Phillips purposely left the interpretation of what is real and what is not up to the audience. We will probably never get a direct answer, especially since this is and was always planned as a one-off origin story with no sequels.

Stormrider77 and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've really only got "LieMAX" available. Planning to try and see it Tuesday night.

12. Oatsdad

I saw "Joker" LieMAX and thought it looked good.

One of the LieMAX AMC screens near me is laser, and the one movie I saw there looked amazing.

Hoping the closer one goes laser soon!

13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the Times is more worried about virtue signaling (and spreading gossip)

Dudley Morris and Ghostworld like this.
  14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Probably the most subversive thing I've seen since Fight Club. I liked it quite a bit.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

this one doesn't interest me at all, but i am probably just really tired of comic book movies, way too many way too often.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

NOT A COMIC BOOK MOVIE.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I hate the English 101 “unreliable narrator” theory. And I was an English major. No one no tells the EXACT truth. So what’s the big deal?

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sorry if you are offended, and appreciate your devotion, but:

The Joker is a supervillain created by Bill Finger, Bob Kane, and Jerry Robinson who first appeared in the debut issue of the comic book Batman (April 25, 1940), published by DC Comics.

how can you dispute this?

because if it isn't based on the comic book character, there has to be some real copyright laws being broken here.

19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The only way to see it. The sound, the details and clarity. Top notch. Well worth the extra costs.

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I second what he said. THIS IS NOT A COMIC BOOK MOVIE. What we mean is no superhero fantasy stuff like leaping off buildings, fantastic cars, etc. Understand now? This is a serious look at the mental health deterioration of a human being.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Made a lot of money this weekend.

I will see it a second time soon.

22. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It doesn't follow the typical comic book movie formula. It was pretty obvious that's what he meant.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just saw the movie tonight and was thinking the same, but then I kinda' started interpreting its way over the top gritty violence and depressive state of ' 70's big city life amid the old fashion social justice causes of helping the poor (hell, even seeing them) over the rich as a poke in the eye at Marvel's and DC's light weight escapism provided for those that read comic books as if that level of culture is meaningful in getting their readers to put down the comic book and make the world a better place.

This movie is way over and above what Heath Ledger's Joker could ever communicate in why his character was the way he was. This current Joker movie forces the viewer to live it and you REALLY understand how REAL Joker is and relevant to how we treat our mentally ill.

If anyone ever wondered about what was the real motivation behind comic book villians, this movie is on a whole other level of IN YOUR FACE in telling you about it! I was actually tearing up at the end in what happens to the Joker and it's not for what you might think.

Joaquin Phoenix is going to win an Oscar hands down. He makes De Niro's Travis Bickle look like a made for TV character.

proedros, Chazro, serj and 2 others like this.
  24. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Never seen an actor do a more convincing and genuine portrayal of such a complex condition mentioned in that article. For me it was an emotionally gut wrenching performance. I could tell Joaquin was fully committed to his character. Just hope he doesn't wind up like Ledger.

yesstiles and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  25. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Honestly my friend. Give it a try. I do not personally enjoy comic book movies. This is almost as far away from that as you can get. This is a film which has used The Joker as a vessel to convey the issue of mental health and social class. I was blown away.