Does ' Jaws ' Still Have A Bite ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 6, 2019.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, but the method is insanely contrived. The shark just HAS to swim a football field away from the boat and charge at Brody ONE LAST TIME! :laugh: AND not let the tank slip from its mouth. Brody actually hitting the tank with a bullet is the most realistic think about the whole scenario, and even that's a ... wait for it .....LONG SHOT! :agree:

But yeah, the cathartic release aspect is good, and it's a great ending if you don't think about it too much.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Jaws was never a “horror movie”. I would never classify it as such.

3. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I was an usher (summer job) in a theater on first run and we knew when to go into the theater and watch the crowd freak/scream. We (the ushers and concession girls) found the biggest reaction was when Hooper shines the flashlight into the hole in the hull of the listing boat and that head floats with it's optic nerve floating around … no, imo it hasn't lost it's bite.

4. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

My Ex showed the original Jaws to my daughter and a few of her friends about 7-10 ish years ago. The kids would have been in their tween years.

They were not impressed or scared at all. They did more laughing than anything else. Definitely a movie of it's time.

5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I saw Jaws when it was first released in the theater while vacationing at an oceanside cottage, so it definitely had an impact on me at the time. I have not seen it in years, so probably should revisit it.

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Yep, same here. It's impact has diminished over time due to parodies and rip-offs, although John Sayles "Alligator" is a real hoot.
    Have to admit though, when we saw "Jaws 2", we rooted for the shark.

7. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Shark movies are dead.

MichaelH likes this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

God !Wasn't that awful? I don't want to say ' 'Worst Sequel Of All Time ' but it's a contender. What a stinker. You rooted for the shark? I wanted all those kids ( and Brody ) to die .

ralphb likes this.
  9. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

No, it hasn't lost its bite, at least not for me, because my love of it is not based on how scary/thrilling it is.

10. Wildest cat from montana

Great scene. The one thing he definitely didn' t want to see and it's unfolding right before his eyes.

KeninDC likes this.
  11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Yeah, if I recall correctly my buddy and I were pretty vocal about it. We were probably really high.

12. Boy Blue

Boy Blue Forum Resident

My favorite movie of all-time, a complete masterpiece.
    It loses its bite in 480p on small TV screen for sure though. ;)

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Far from dead:

47 Meters Down
    The Shallows
    The Meg

And that is just in the past 2 years, although as I mentioned in my prior post, better Movies were 'Deep Blue Sea' and 'Open Water', but YMMV.

14. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Not for nothing, but Bruce Willis just about made a whole film career doing nothing but this.
    Hero wisecracking his way through extreme circumstances.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Ain't that the truth !
    Over the years my kids would drag me me along to the theatre or rent some 'horror' movie .
    They were inevitably bad. Full of startles but not scary at all. And cut so fast to the eye that it was irritating.

altaeria likes this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

' The Meg' --Good God!

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. TheSeldomSeenKid

I have not seen it, but it was a Major Movie Release(Good or Bad).

18. Wildest cat from montana

Oh!It was bad. Very bad.

19. TheSeldomSeenKid

I think 'The Shallows' was the only recent Shark movie that had Good Reviews, but have not kept up with all of these Movies. I thought 'Deep Blue Sea' was an entertaining Movie and 'Open Water' provided good tension, as a different way to make(Mako?) a Shark Movie.

20. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

The Meg was unwatchable. I tried. And I like Jason Statham 'cuz my wife says I look like him.

The Shallows is a decent, simple flick. It has a lovely Blake Lively and a shark that snacks on surfers.

21. timind

timind phorum rezident

We were living in Ft. Walton Beach, FL when Jaws was released and saw it in the theater. I remember walking along the beach after dark when someone in the group started going, "dun, dun , dun ,dun" the way it went in the movie. I moved further from the water immediately. One thing I don't remember though, is being afraid to swim in the gulf.

Haven't seen it in a long time. but for me, the opening scene with the girl night swimming is as frightening as any any movie scene I can think of.

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

One of my Main Crushes:love: the past 10 years. I do not buy a lot of Movies, but bought 'Savages' as needed to own one Movie with Blake Lively and that looked like a good one. Lucky Dude from Deadpool, who is married to her.

23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I do not think the fact that we have been desensitized as a society takes anything away from this movie or other horror movies of the past. I suspect if all of the examples cited in this thread had not already been subjected to modern gory cinema, and you showed them JAWS, they would have the same reaction people did in 1975. They certainly would not mock it and call it a comedy.

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Fantastic movie still.

25. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

As far as I'm concerned, Robert Shaw ran away with the movie! His monologue about having been a crewman on the USS Indianapolis at the end of WW II was fascinating, although the date of the ship's sinking was incorrect.