Ebay sales tax- for a few special states

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by chewy, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewy

chewy Forum Resident Thread Starter

three states.......THREE STATES....WA, MN, IA. It really is not fair. Thats 47 states that don't have to pay it. I'm not saying they should too, no one should.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yeah it's stupid, to little to late it kinda violates the law taxing stuff on the internet..
    But a lot whiners complained and this is the result.

3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

They said on the radio that North Dakota exceeded $15 million in revenue from the online sales tax in the past year. The whole situation is a mess, but I don't know of many states which could resist...

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think it's a bit ridiculous to complain. What, your packages didn't arrive on tax-funded roads? Sales taxes should only be paid by people who shopped in a store instead of a computer? The idea that the transaction didn't occur in your state is a semantic distinction with no basis in reality. You ordered and received it.

Most states required but could not enforce declaring sales tax on mail orders. You were supposed to declare, very few did, but it wasn't worth the effort chasing those quarters. Now with complete automation, it's easy enough to collect that $5.00 on a $100 purchase.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Shawn, Byrdsmaniac, Muzyck and 2 others like this.
  5. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I’ve paid sales tax on all my recent purchases, and I am in Ohio.

tmtomh, boboquisp and Christian Hill like this.
  6. Mirrorblade.1

When money is not spent what it suppose to be for .
    I say it's a joke. we had bad roads for years the lottery was to solve this and
    school funding problems as well. still nothing.
    Everybody has there hand out always asking for more.
    Never enough.

t-man 54, melstapler and Gumboo like this.
  7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Why not? It is absurd that sales taxes do not apply to SALES on the internet.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. Nightswimmer

Quick search revealed that more than 40 states collect sales tax from sales on the internet. Of course, a small number of states does not have a sales tax.

Shawn and tmtomh like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Misery loves company, so to make it "fair," they might as well require all the states pay sales tax for online purchases.

Nightswimmer likes this.
  10. Nightswimmer

They should! In my opinion there should be a 50% higher sales tax for online purchases.

11. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

There should be no income, death, investment, capital gains, inheritance or property taxes.

There should be a consumption tax for all purchases made online or in person.

I would exempt taxes on food/water/energy.

This way, you can choose not to pay taxes by not buying stuff. aka Voluntary. That's the way society should be funded.

12. Mirrorblade.1

It's like on used items charging tax on garage sale and rummage items.:sigh:
    I do hope this sales tax gets pulled.
    Ebay, when I talked to them with a lot sellers are loosing business
    and reading ebay boards.

melstapler likes this.
  13. Nightswimmer

Most sellers on Ebay and Amazon are commerical sellers.

I do not understand why anyone would advocate keeping online sales tax free and charge sale taxes to brick and mortar businesses. Do you all want to live in dead cities?

puddleduck and Christian Hill like this.
  14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Purchases from New York State on Ebay have resulted in sales tax being charged.

melstapler likes this.
  15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I just paid sales tax on an ebay purchase yesterday, so we're at least up to five at this point!

melstapler likes this.
  16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Buy a used CD from a store or a used car off a lot and you will pay sales tax. Not sure why eBay or Amazon should be different.

Nightswimmer likes this.
  17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Historically with 2nd hand/used goods markets, sales tax was never applicable. It still does not apply in most garage sales or informal or low key shows etc. This taxing issue started with the voracious spending of our local government - the more revenue they receive they greater they spend, in large part based on projected revenue. Its like a slow burn Venezuela. Our region has been socked with media uncovering incredible waste and fraud, to the tune of millions, and thats just the big obvious cases that get uncovered. I don't mind paying sales tax on new goods and for certain services, but we live in an area - and era - where government demands more & more income and yet wastes it on an increasingly comensurate scale. So when I hear people saying oh its fine I know I'm hearing peole who are cool with corruption as long as they can pay their rent. I've curtailed buying on places like ebay, amazon etc.

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm really surprised that people are so surprised about this. With the move to online purchasing by consumers, this new law, was inevitable.

19. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Had to inject a Beatle in this thread!

Dave likes this.
  20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The very nature of taxes is that they are not voluntary.

Reese likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.