Dire Straits SACDs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by NiceMrMustard, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Correct.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

If only we could get them second :realmad:

George P likes this.
  3. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Coming 10/18. Elusive Disc

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No offense, but this means absolutely nothing.

5. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

On another thread, Elusive Disc has been the butt of many jokes for its "elusive" release date promises, but in this case there are other sources also promising the same -- I notice (a scoop, I think!) that amazon is also giving an October 18th date for the Dire Straits MFSLs. So: smile! We may finally see these things after all! RH

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. Joti Cover

Ha! No offense taken. And they’ve moved the date already to 10/31.

7. Joti Cover

It will happen real soon....let’s keep fingers crossed for November.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Music Direct STILL says TBA.

They’re not happening soon. MD will be hyping the crap out of these if/when a release date is firmed up.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  9. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Per some other threads in Music Corner, these seem imminent... MD is hyping them up in a recent mailer: Music Direct 2019 catalog

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s good to learn. But the website still says TBA and the print ad is still not specific. Probably still not imminent.

11. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

I know nothing and will only believe these are coming once I get an actual shipping notice- but I believe MD never puts an expected date on Mofi titles; it stays TBA then suddenly one day they just start shipping. At least that’s been my recent experience.

12. ReVeRb1080

ReVeRb1080 Well-Known Member

Mysteriously, the Music Direct website now says, "Availability: Out of Stock: Usually leaves our warehouse in 4 - 6 weeks." Did these actually ship and I somehow missed them?

13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I was also wondering the same thing. On the sound quality thread, where I erroneously posted the same question. Music Direct has them as "out of stock". Yet posts indicate many have received these already?

14. Joti Cover

It appears the first batch/round is sold out (after all the pre-order went on for a year and a half) but the next one will be available within the month. Fortunately, I can’t find anything about the series being a hyper-limited release so I would presume those who order now should be able to obtain a copies....But I wouldn’t hold off too long as these are really very desirable.
    Just got through listening to Making Movies and am totally 100 % dazzled. Can’t wait to move onto the s/t presently.

George P likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Please post your impressions of S/T in the sound quality thread when you can?

Joti Cover likes this.
  16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Yeah there are -ve comments in the sound quality thread, no surprise as everyone’s ears are different. Glad someone else is enjoying Making Movies.

As for the availability these probably had the most preorders for Mofi in quite some time. So first come first served, they did it right.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Joti Cover likes this.
  17. Joti Cover

Yes, thank you for starting this thread! I’ll play it a couple of times - loud and then softer - and report back. I hope the intimacy, flow and rich musical meanings are as abundant or nearly so as they are on Making Movies. I didn’t have to second guess a single element on this version (cd layer btw), nothing felt out of place in the least, it all held sonically/compositionally together perfectly for me. This Dire Straits album is breathtaking and deserves the sort of digital treatment its gotten from Shawn. I think there are some others here who are similarly satisfied. Its insane & beautiful to be so wildly surprised and inspired by music you have listened to for nearly 40 years.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I agree about Making Movies.

I posted my thoughts on the SQ of it, S/T and Communique here: Dire Straits - MFSL SACD - Sound Quality Discussion

19. Joti Cover

Yes, I immediately liked your post when I read it (before my disc arrived)....And we’re certainly on the same page re Making Movies. Verdict: a must-have. I’ll move over to your sound quality thread w any other details....

George P likes this.
  20. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

As there has been a massive price hike on importcds for mfsl sacds and the collection of tax on their orders, can anyone one recommend a reasonable and reliable alternative source for delivery to the U.K?

21. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Amazon has these as available for pre-order so I pulled the trigger on all four. Allegedly available this Friday.

22. generikz

generikz Well-Known Member

Is there a reason why Elusive is still "pre-order" when I pre-ordered mine 2.5 years ago? (Apr 15, 2017 to be precise)

No news from the customer service after 1 week.

Julien

23. HumbleBy

HumbleBy Forum Resident

You can try www.snvinyl.co.uk
    I've purchased discs from him once or twice, but he does not have the best reputation on eg. Trustpilot.

24. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Well I'm definitely glad I got my pre-order in before 11/15/19 with Amazon. My price was $30.99 per disc and now the "temporarily out of stock" price is $39.98. There's of course still no estimated delivery date but I do remember having to wait a while on the Mofi Supertramp LP. I remember when I originally pre-ordered the Men at Work - Business as Usual Mofi vinyl they actually cancelled it because I had been waiting two years. And then it popped up not long after.

25. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

Thanks for the “heads up” HumbleBy. I’ve read the reviews. People seem to have a very hit and miss experiences with snvinyl.co.uk.
    I see that importcds are offering 10% off at the moment and I might go with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.