Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Not sure. Those who tell the story seem to emphasize the serious nature of the comment. Perhaps there was some nervous laughter. Anyone here who was at least a teenager at the time might be able to comment on whether the gravity of the situation had really sunk in less than a day. I was six and had no idea who (or even what) the President was. My world was my parents, my teacher, my classmates, a few friends on the street where I lived, their parents, and maybe a handful of cartoon characters. I only remember my parents sitting very close to the TV, which they never did (only my sister and I did that).

This about sums it all up - Opinion | He Played Kennedy. Then He Became Himself.

Since this thread relates to lost TV shows, I'll note there seem to be extremely few lost What's My Line episodes (no more than five since I started watching circa 1955). They have been remarkably well preserved.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I cannot find a definitive answer about the "Johnny Cash Presents The Everly Brothers" 1970 summer replacement series on ABC. According to one of the later Everly "Heartaches and Harmonies" newsletters from early 2000's (?), it said they only had copies of 2 of the ten shows done. It was done on 2" color videotape originally. I am thinking the tapes have been gone for a long time, as in the 1984 documentary, a short B&W kinescope clip was shown of Phil doing part of "The Last Thing On My Mind". The audio for that song survives in its entirety. I find it a little odd that these tapes were just reused or erased in a seemingly short space of time. Does anyone (Vidiot, perhaps) know if these could POSSIBLY exist anywhere? As a huge Everly fan, I would love to see at least the couple of shows they have. The short-lived "Music Scene" from earlier that year was preserved (also done for ABC) in its entirety. Mind boggles...

3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I was four years old when JFK was killed; I always remembered it as that time when there weren't any cartoons on TV for a few days and mom kept watching this awful program that was on all the stations and wouldn't stop crying.

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

The only surviving episode of Jackpot, a game show hosted by Geoff Edwards. Instead of trivia, contestants had to answer riddles. (1975)

5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

10:20 in should be seen I love this show! figures

6. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Both segments are in the new Blu-Ray set, I believe. The crucifixion bit (the true ending of the "Crackpot Religions" animation) definitely is.

I think the old DVD had to replace the music in the tree animation as well - I remember it being replaced with Python's "We Love The Yangste," which probably wasn't in the original version.

7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Here's the only surviving episode of the short-lived 1978 CBS go of The New Tic Tac Dough w/Wink Martindale:

John B likes this.
  8. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

I do remember from my childhood Tv Mr Piper, but if I mention to anyone they look at me blankly..

9. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Geoff Edwards was always my favorite game show host. Thank you for posting this. :)

Spaghettiows likes this.
  10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

From what I understand, only not so great copies do exist of the series, but they are an early one-inch tape format and the quality is not great. No one has ever found the original 2-inch masters, although since The Johnny Cash Show was owned by Columbia and all of those masters reside in the Sony vaults, I would have thought The Everyly Brothers Show would be there as well.

11. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Did he originate in Canada? Some segments of his (they don't appear to be "shows" per se) are on various public domain DVDs. They are self contained fable-type stories.

Mr. Piper cartoons - YouTube

HairyWeimer likes this.
  12. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

Yes he is Canadian and was an opera singer I believe, sadly Alan Crofoot took his own life some time ago...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  13. JozefK

Audio clips of two never rerun Sesame Street episodes:

"Snuffy's Parents Get a Divorce"; quickly got pulled after negative test screenings. (1992)

A 7-minute audio clip of Sesame Street episode 847, better known as the episode where Margaret Hamilton reprises her role as the Wicked Witch of the West. Supposedly pulled b/c kids found it too scary. (1976)

Recently found audio - Sesame Street Episode 847

[​IMG]

chilinvilin and HairyWeimer like this.
  14. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman Forum Resident

The BBC developped a SLIGHTLY similar technique to bring back colour from the film, based on tiny dots left behind whenever a b/w film was made from a colour monitor.

I am very happy to hear that something similar might be possible!

15. Spiny Norman

Out of interest, is there any chance that the source of this clip might be lenticular? (I have no idea if it's possible for the naked eye to detect anything like that...)

16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

It's impossible to tell for sure through youtube, but I don't think it is lenticular color. A lenticular color film transferred without correct processing has visible vertical lines through it.

17. James Slattery

Valentine's Day is owned by Fox and buried in the vaults with many of their other older shows. I have a handful from 16mm prints I picked up over the years.
    20th Century is owned by CBS and was actually in syndication at one point
    Hollywood and the Stars - I have tapes off air from its various syndication airings in the 80s although I don't think anyone has run it in a long time.
    Joey Bishop's talk show was long thought to be lost but in the mid 80s, around 30 or so episodes on 2-inch tape were discovered at a college where the tapes had been donated to be used as blank tape stock.
    Never Too Young - 5 episodes circulate among collectors but its my understanding that copies of the full run survive.
    The Joe Pyne Show - Maybe not a full run but a good portion of the show still exists on tape.
    Name of the Game - Ran in the 80s on the CBS O & Os and then in the 90s, Universal transferred around 40+ shows for Encore Mystery Channel and those are the only ones which crop up today, most recently on COZI.
    Captain Nice and Mr. Terrific - Captain Nice is a much better show, written by the late, great Buck Henry. The show ran on Syndex in the early 90s as well as HA, so most collectors have the show from those airings. Mr. Terrific came out on DVD in Germany several years back, minus the unaired pilot with Alan Young.

18. Spiny Norman

Shows that vanished into thin air? Ah, well how about Tales of the Vikings?

One of the few things still open on my true wishlist. Decently written adventure, not too slow because of the half-hour slot. And you can't beat that theme song:

No repeats, no VHS, not even a 16mm with a collector or in a catalogue. :( Four episodes are around in really loqw-Q, I'm not even sure how even that happened - some have Farsi subtitles??

19. JozefK

Kirk Douglas' producing partner Edward Lewis is credited, so I guess this had some connection to The Vikings (1958)? Maybe it used excess stock footage from that earlier shoot.

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Obsolete Video restores a lot of odd things (often tapes that were recorded by private collectors in the early 70s who had expensive machines) and it's worth keeping an eye on their YouTube channel especially if you grew up in the LA area in the early-mid 70s Obsolete Video

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Do you happen to know if the episode that featured The Monkees from 1969 was one of those that was discovered?

22. JozefK

August 1969:

[​IMG]

Rather odd to have three musical guests on one late night show.

Was Pat Buttram guest hosting? I'd love to see him chewing the fat with Gram Parsons.

23. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

There is audio of the show with The Monkees on Joey Bishop. It was Joey hosting that night (April 24th).

j_rocker likes this.
  24. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Reminds me of how my Father blamed all of my emotional problems growing up on the Kennedy assassination. This annoyed my no end, as I was only four years old and had no idea what the heck was going on. I even thought Kennedy was still President!

25. James Slattery

I don't believe so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.