Movies That You'd Like to See Remade

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tone, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

:D
    Already been done! :D

Spaghettiows likes this.
  2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

That's the first one I thought of as well. I would never pick a movie that I liked to be remade, they inevitably fail to measure up to the original.

3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yeah, I can't think of one great film that should be remade. But I'm all for remaking films that fell short of their potential.

Dudley Morris and Coricama like this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Here's one that otherwise it seems I will never see - American Hot Wax.

I found an attempt to present it on You Tube. But it is a really poor quality video upload, and is painful to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_viO-iTa2v4

Alan Freed seems to be a forgotten figure. Who today could play him?

5. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Soylent Green
    (The year would need to be moved to at least 2050, as a "future-world".)

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Prometheus
    The Last Jedi
    Ad Astra
    Terminator Salvation

Probably 60% of the past 15 years cinema output.

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The book is quite different, it's a pretty straight detective mystery but very relevant to today's environmental/social issues. Harrison was so very very spot on, scarily so. Worth a read. No eating people though.

8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Like... Quentin Tarantino? :D

9. Star Wars prequels (episodes 1-3)

10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Denis Villenueve has done just that... coming December next year; I await the initial teaser trailer with baited breath.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  11. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Interesting news! I think Denis Villeneuve is a great director, so I am looking forward to this one.

12. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

The only reason anyone should attempt to remake a movie is if it can be done better. Problem is, most remakes are marketing exercises - take a familiar concept or property and update it for the multiplexes: RoboCop, Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, The Magnificent Seven, etc.

Occasionally, remakes work - Cronenberg found something profoundly human in the 50's cheese of The Fly, Jackson's King Kong deepened the relationship between Ann and Kong, and the 4th remake of A Star Is Born clearly found a new audience for an old story.

Here's a few films I think are due for a proper update/remake/reboot:

Seven Days In May - A perfect candidate for updating, given the current political climate in America.
    Godzilla - No current remake comes even close to matching the original's power, message, and overwhelming sense of dread.
    The Sweet Smell of Success - Updated to reflect the impact of social media, etc.
    The Great Race - I loved this movie as a kid - come on, Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk as bad guys - and believe it could work again, perhaps by leaning into the steampunk possibilities suggested by Professor Fate's crazy inventions.
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Speaking of steampunk, this would make a bad ass limited series, maybe for Netflix or similar streaming network. Cast Pierce Brosnan as Allan Quartermain and make the actual book - the airship fueled by Cavorite, the squid-looking Nautilus, and no freaking Tom Sawyer.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  13. John B Good

It has occurred to me that many viewers today resist B&W film, and that can be justification for a remake. (I think Seven Days was B&W.)

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I once had a vision of The Simpsons, either doing an episode, or a full-length movie based of Terry Gilliam's "Brazil",
    called........
    "BRAZIL-HOUS"
    Milhouse Van Houten would play Sam Lowry, and of course...other characters would be played by other "Simpsons" characters...
    the thing writes itself!
    With the occasional 'throwing-in' of Terry himself, being all pissed off!

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Because the Tom Cruise remake was crap. Total crap.

Dave likes this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I hear ya on this one. Better actors needed!

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Bad Ronald

jwoverho and Dudley Morris like this.
  18. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Not a film, but coming soon a BBC TV remake that sets the story in Victorian England like the book.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  19. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I would like to see Terry Gilliam remake Dune

20. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Denis Villeneuve's film is due next year. Looking forward to it.

GregM and razerx like this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm looking forward to it too. Dune is a fantastic book, one of my favorites. And I don't even like sci fi. I wouldn't know how to make it into a good movie. Hopefully Villeneuve does. In addition I think Kazantzakas' Last Temptation is an incredible book, infinitely better than Scorsese's film. I do think Scorsese himself may be the right director for this but what he did before absolutely sucks in comparison to the book, I thought. Part of the problem was Keitel and Willem Defoe together were cringeworthy, but it was just the wrong script and lots of other missteps.

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit need to be done right.

22. PianoMangler

PianoMangler Forum Resident

neo123 likes this.
  23. John B Good

I'm sure I've seen a thread before about a planned remake of that. Seems to have faded away.

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I absolutely love the original but I’d be curious to see a mini-series of 2001 that sticks closely to the book.

25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

These three I would like to see remade too. Cut out the campiness (especially for Buck Rogers) and make them with all modern special effects. New story or keep original story, I don't care, as long as they are good.

For same reason, I would like an updated serious version of Flash Gordon too (and don't make him a QB of the NY Jets. LOL)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.