Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Probably

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Mumbo 6/10
    Bip Bop 6/10

Sneak Preview

Love Is Strange 6/10

The MEZ, Yorick and Mt.Elga like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Y
    You are cheating
    :):)

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Hey @Bemagnus,

We will be doing Red Rose Speedway in it's 2019 as originally intended double album version right? Please?

5. Dr. Pepper

How would you know, unless you peaked!:yikes::kilroy:

6. Bemagnus

Some soft-ware error I guess
    :)

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  7. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Hey Diddle

The MEZ, Ludger and Bemagnus like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Yeah that s a contender.
    :)

Piiijiii likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

Next one
    Love is strange
    Ok After the wild opening with a garage jam and a mix between country blues and nursery rhyme-what do we have here
    But of course a cover
    A reggaefied cover of a rather obscure 50-s hit. One can t blamePaul for choosing the expected path on this slbum. Something I admire him for. He was really trying hard to get away from the Beatles.
    Given the tremendous sucess Wings later achieved he was absolutely right . But those days were far away here-Wings was more an idea than a band and this album-inspired by Dylans Nashville Skyline-was partly a band-get together and partly an effort to capture spontaneous moments fast.
    On Love is Strange the pieces that were to becomes Wings starts to show-ecspecially the lovely three-part harmonies of Paul, Linda and Denny Laine.
    I think this is a great track. The instrumental intro really sets the groove and the guitars sounds inviting. Vocally Paul nails the lead-vocals and the harmonies shine. Honorable mention to the rock-solid drums of Denny Seiwell. One can also notice Paul was one of the first rock-artists to take on reggae-it was highly unusual at this time
    I love this sunny track.

The MEZ, Who Cares, Ludger and 2 others like this.
  10. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Love Is Strange" is another track that is enjoyable but not brilliant. I prefer the original, of course, but there's a loosey-goosey, ramshackle feel to Wings' version that I rather like. I like the sound of the drums a lot here, too. Well miked, they are. 3/5

11. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Love Is Strange 4.5/5

I'm very fond of that song and for me the Wild Life album really starts with it.
    A groovy reggae style cover version with an airy atmosphere and excellent musical craftsmanship.
    I love it when Paul starts singing solo around 3.09 and what he does with his voice at 3.22- what a fun track!

The MEZ, Who Cares, coco77 and 2 others like this.
  12. Banter

Banter Forum Resident

Life is Strange 3/5

I don't have a lot of commentary on this track. I think it's a solid album track and I really enjoy the guitar and drums here. It really has a delightful summery vibe to it. It's a great track to just roll your windows down and feel the groove to.

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like this arrangement of "Love is Strange". But in grand scheme only worth a 3 at best.

14. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Bip Bop: 2.5/5 It’s charming and endearing in it’s simple approach. But it is really only a partial song. Two songs in and we basically gotten some farting around so far. Again in the shadow of the Beatles and coming off the highly effective RAM, listeners must have really been wondering what the heck was going on here. I think @BZync is right. Would we even be talking about these songs if it wasn’t Paul?

Love Is Strange: 5/5 A fantastic cover. Rich, organic, easy-flowing. Paul’s soothing voice starts things off but he also interchanges with more of a rock-n-roll voice which injects some energy into the recording. The bongo drumline is divine. This is the hallmark of side one. If I were one to make mixes, this would be the song I'd lift to represent the album.

15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Love Is Strange is the first song to contain a Wings sound vibe. It sure does take a long time to get to the singing. A tight edit woulda made a decent single.

Mini poll: fave Wings reggae (C Moon, Seaside Woman, Love Is Strange):

I’ll take Seaside. That’s the one I’ve spun the most.

16. Bemagnus

Interesting how we hear things different. Of the three tracks you mentioned Seaside woman is my least favorite-even though I like it. C moon wins hands on for me

Ludger likes this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I prefer "Seaside" to the other two by a pretty wide margin. But then I was always a bigger fan of the Suzy & The Red Stripes than Wings.

18. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Oh yeah? What else do you like by them? What's your favorite Suzy & The Red Stripes album? o_O

Guy Smiley, Ludger and Bemagnus like this.
  19. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Actually the single version was an edit.
    I prefer the album version though.

Bemagnus likes this.
  20. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Which was sadly left unreleased until last year. It could've made a good single in '71.

Piiijiii likes this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

This cover of 'Love is Strange ' is great. Good vibe to it. Better than the original? Perhaps not. Better than Buddy Holly' s version? Definitely not.
    I may be.mistaken but isn't this the only cover Wings did?

22. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

There’s the unreleased Tragedy... also is Best Friend a cover?

Walking In The Park With Eloise might count! :)

23. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Could really have been a hit single that year!

MPLRecords likes this.
  24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I would argue that the upcoming singles and RRS album should be discussed as originally released. Many have an opinion of RRS based on nearly 50 years of listening to the original content and sequencing. Like it or not, that was the album that was released, and still released (and available) to this day.

I'd support discussing the additional tracks at some point, but we didn't do that for RAM.

25. Bemagnus

I thinkthat the songs should be discussed the way they were originally released. Sorry @dr-pepper. I am aware that the double-album Red Rose Speedway is popular -I love it-but in this thread we go for the original releases. Otherwise there are lot s of bonus -tracks to discuss
    Bu the way I don t intendent to bring up the classical albums either(perhaps an idea for a thread). When it comes to Fireman I don t know
    We will se what happens

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Piiijiii and MPLRecords like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.