Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

If I may offer a potential solution:
    Discuss them as they were released. Most of the Red Rose bonus stuff - "Night Out", "I Would Only Smile", etc. - was released December 2018. So do them between Egypt Station and "Get Enough". You could apply that to all of the newly released songs from the Archive sets, actually, and do them in 2011, 2012, etc rather than when they were recorded.

Bemagnus likes this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

That was a brilliant solution that will make everyone happy-including @dr.pepper.
    It will take a while though
    :)

The MEZ and MPLRecords like this.
  3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

:yikes:No it won't make that crazy Dr. Pepper guy happy, but it is your thread so...:D

MPLRecords and Bemagnus like this.
  4. Bemagnus

I just started this thread -it s not really mine. But it makes sense to discuss the songs the way they were originally were released. Even if-in the case of RRS and maybe McCartey II as well-the extended versions are incredible. But we will get to them to-it just will take some time

The MEZ and Grant like this.
  5. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. Bemagnus

It s a great plan
    Fun with two more songs from the Egypt Station sessions to. Those sessions seems to be just as fruitful as the Ram -sessions

omikron and Dr. Pepper like this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

You just completely made my day! Weird that these two tracks were not included in the Traveler's edition of Egypt Station as it says in the article they are from those sessions. Oh well, I'm just glad we will have them in any form! I'll just frankenstein them into my monster Egypt Station playlist, see below! So we have new music coming out before Thanksgiving from Paul, Ringo, and Dhani Harrison as well, nice! God bless us everyone!:D

Egypt Station - The Traveler's Exploration Edition, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

omikron likes this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

I was thinking the same thing. Lots of similarities between Ram sessions and Egypt Station sessions, in my book anyway.

Bemagnus likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

There is already a thread about these new songs. Great news. I agree they should have been on the Travellers edition but it is fun and unexpected to get two new songs

The MEZ likes this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

I think this makes 7 bonus tracks released form the Egypt station sessions so far. Interesting that Paul didn't use these as the main part of a follow up album, but I'm happy as we get them released faster this way.

11. Dr. Pepper

link?

12. Dr. Pepper

13. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I like the first three tracks -- Mumbo, Bip Bop, Love is strange -- they feel loose and fresh. Not great but entertaining and unique in McCartney's discography.

I do not like the tracks that come afterwards, except for "Dear Friend" which, for me, is the best song in the record.

Bemagnus likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Review RRS 2 LP version when it comes up in the release history. By time we get to 2018 we'll have new things to say.

I vote yes on Fireman as Rushes is my favorite McCartney release.

omikron and Bemagnus like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I notice that, as with the Billboard threads and this one, there are some people with no patience or respect for the process. We will get to "Egypt Station" era. But, for now, it's a "Wild Life".

Bemagnus likes this.
  16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Coming in late here and won't go back and rate every song but this seems like a good place to start as I love this cover version. As someone else said Pauls vocals around the 3 minute mark is so cool. They seem very stoned on this track but in a good way and not an annoying one.

I have said it before but if you swap out I Am Your Singer with this track on side 2 and side 1 one was a live side with best tracks from the tour (The Mess, 1882, Best Friend etc..) it would have been a more positive rated album. That said I still love it.

Love Is Strange = a solid 4/5

17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Hot As Sun/Glasses

A nice instrumental. Happiness is the sound of the guitars, piano and drums mix...

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Drums, Bongo, Maracas, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Keyboards, Wine Glasses, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Label: Apple Corps
    Release Date: April 17, 1970
    Recorded at 7 Cavendish Avenue, St John's Wood, London, U.K.
    Length: 2:07 minutes

Paul about the song:

Hot As Sun

"A song written in about 1958 or 9 or maybe earlier, when it was one of those songs that you play now and then. The middle was added in Morgan Studio, where the track was recorded recently."

Glasses

"Wineglasses played at random and overdubbed on top of each other – the end is a section of a song called Suicide – not yet completed."

Source: https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/paul-mccartney/songs/hot-as-sun-glasses/

Finally the 1969 version with The Beatles. A spoken word by John Lennon: "Welcome to the South Sea Islands, where the sound of a wave landing on the sand brings joy to the air." + Paul trying some vocals...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    The MEZ and Bemagnus like this.
  18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

About Hot As Sun...

Tim Rice later added a set of lyrics to the music and the song was recorded by Noosha Fox and Elaine Paige.

Noosha Fox

Elaine Paige : Hot as Sun

Bemagnus likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

Thanks for the info
    Had no idea of that
    I love Hot as sun. Such a joyous little tune

Who Cares likes this.
  20. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Another example of Wild Life desperately needing editing is the five minute Love Is Strange. I find this track somewhat lifeless and, frankly, boring. I might be able to tolerate it if it were two minutes long - but five minutes is absurd.

Let's sum up - the opening song has no words in any recognizable language and is too long by half. The second track is one of the most twee and inconsequential songs Paul has ever written - and it is too long by half. And the third track is a listless cover - and is too long by more than half.

Unfortunately for me, it gets worse before it gets better.

WilliamWes likes this.
  21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Junk

A highlight. The song is so beautiful. Pure poetry.

Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    Motor cars, handle bars, bicycles for two
    Broken hearted jubilee
    Parachutes, army boots, sleeping bags for two
    Sentimental jamboree

[Chorus]
    "Buy! Buy!" says the sign in the shop window
    "Why? Why?" says the junk in the yard

[Bridge]
    Da, da, ya, da, da, da
    Da, da, da
    Da, da, ya, da, da, da
    Da, da, da

[Verse 2]
    Candle sticks, building bricks
    Something old and new
    Memories for you and me

[Chorus]
    "Buy! Buy!" says the sign in the shop window
    "Why? Why?" says the junk in the yard

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Drums,, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Xylophone, Lead Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Linda McCartney
    Label: Apple Corps
    Release Date: April 17, 1970
    Recorded at 7 Cavendish Avenue, St John's Wood, London, U.K.
    Length: 1:55 minutes

Paul's comments:

"Originally written in India, at Maharishi's camp, and completed bit by bit in London. Recorded vocal, two acoustic guitars, and bass at home, and later added to (bass drum, snare with brushes, and small xylophone and harmony) at Morgan."

Source: "McCartney" session (home recordings) (December 1969 to January 1970)

22. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Mumbo 7.5/10
    Bip Bop 7.5/10
    Love Is Strange 7.5/10

8.5/10

The MEZ and Bemagnus like this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

I've never gotten hung up with folks chatting about all things McCartney in these song by song threads, as there is a lot of resistance on these boards if you start up yet another McCartney or Beatles thread. some days these threads become a catch all for McCartney info. Now we should try and keep it to a minimum, but it's the people that keep these threads going and if we alienate them by being too harsh on staying on topic every second then you just loose most of the contributors and end up with a thread with three people contributing. For me, I will try to stay on topic better. For all of us, I've really fallen in love with the concept of grace especially on the forum. Everyone has a hard day or something comes out worded wrong or they get misinterpreted, so I really like to extend grace to folks and not hold the small transgressions against them like veering of topic occasionally. My 2 cents.

Love is Strange - Fun cover that I have always really enjoyed one of the high points of the album even though it rambles on a bit. Can score it as high as it's not an original. Paul makes it sound in interviews like it was originally an original song and not a cover, but he realized that it was so similar to Love is Strange or that he inadvertently nicked it that they decided just to morph it into a bizarre love is strange cover/tribute. Does that sound right?

6/10 for me.

Hermes, Bemagnus, Grant and 2 others like this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Yorick, you thief! You have stolen my idea! You see I do have a good fun idea occasionally!:D

Wild Life song 7.5/10

Bemagnus and Yorick like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I agree. I haven't heard any of these extended deluxe issues of McCartney/ Wings albums but It's up to the OP. Or is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.