The Beatles Abbey Road at #3 on Billboard album charts!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind Thread Starter

2. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Nice !
    50 years later

3. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Pretty good. I think it is somewhat right that The Beatles are popular, even if I don't judge music by sales and popularity.

Vic_1957 and honestmaxx like this.
  4. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I think it’s already #1 in the UK

5. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind Thread Starter

The Beatles 1 is at #48 and The White Album is at #165

bluemooze and fer2 like this.
  6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

7. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

#1 in the UK and #3 in the US; not too bad for an album first released 50 years ag0! :agree:

bluemooze, Vic_1957, JDeanB and 4 others like this.
  8. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

#1 UK/Spain/Belgium/Holland/Scotland
    #2 Australia/Germany/Norway
    #3 USA/Canada/Ireland/Italy
    #4 Sweeden
    #5 Japan Billboard
    #6 New Zealand

Not bad for a 50-year-old great little band!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    bluemooze, efegarcia, Eska68 and 8 others like this.
  9. Wow, Less than a 100k units that would have gotten most bands dropped in the US even in the 90s.

pwhytey, BEAThoven, moops and 10 others like this.
  10. Jester2019

Jester2019 Forum Resident

Uhh, the number 1 album only sold 8,000 units. The times they have a-changed.

phillyal1, pwhytey, BEAThoven and 8 others like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

#3 with 8000 lps sold?

Oh my.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

8000 Physical albums sold.

But due to the make-believe numbers awarded to streaming and "album-equivalents", it ended up with more than 100,000.

13. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

50 yrs and top 5 all over the world. A ringing endorsement or the sad state of affairs that is the music industry, and what passes for top 40 today?

14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

8,000 in physical sales is hardly cause for celebration, though is it? Kind of a pathetic number actually - and says far more about the dismal state of the industry as a whole than it does about The Beatles - except perhaps to illustrate that older fans with a lot of disposable income are the only ones buying these type of deluxe and super-deluxe catalog items. It also explains why several older artists are seeing their best chart positions in decades (and in some cases ever!). Lot of older artists (like McCartney) debut with new albums at #1, not because lots of people are buying the album, but because his fanbase is old enough that they still actually buy physical albums/CDs, as opposed to younger people who gravitate towards streaming/downloads.

If the industry was healthy (like in the 90s) The Beatles would probably be lucky to even make the Top 50 (not based on 8,000 sales, mind you - they'd sell significantly more - but still nowhere near enough in that era to make #3)

Yeah the Anthologies charted quite high in the 90s but those were reasonable priced double CDs consisting of all previously unreleased material, while this release is massively expensive in its full form, and even if you settle for the double CD to get just some of the outtakes, you're spending 2CD price for one CD of material you want - unless you specifically want the remix (I'd imagine most of the general public doesn't even know what "remix" even means - even on this very forum I see an alarming number of people using the words remix and remaster interchangeably).

Not to mention the Anthologies were a massive multimedia presentation hyped to the heavens for months, AND the Beatles' original fanbase were all under 50 yo when the Anthologies came out, so now they'd be under what - 70-75 yo?

So I stand by my statement that:
    If the industry was healthy (like in the 90s) The Beatles would probably be lucky to even make the Top 50 (not based on 8,000 sales, mind you - they'd sell significantly more - but still nowhere near enough in that era to make #3)

phillyal1, pwhytey, laf848 and 5 others like this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Both, a ringing endorsement of the timelessness of the album, but those sales figures are depressing.

16. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I think its expected. Its not like they have any strong competition.

17. John22

John22 Forum Resident

The album is also #1 in the Billboard Top Album Sales (this week's top-selling albums across all genres, ranked by sales data as compiled by Nielsen Music):

Top Album Sales : Page 1

notesfrom likes this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Well..it wasn't the 90s but The Beatles '1' album released late in 2000 has sold over 30 million copies.

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The White Album remix peaked at #6 last year on Billboard.

21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Damn! If it wasn't a double A side it would've got to #1.

Mooserfan and jmxw like this.
  22. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Boring, actually. And a little sad.
    8.000 units is next to nothing. The streaming is where it’s at these days and considering that only certain groups of people buys physical units, it’s not hard to get to #1. It’s not 1969 or 1989 or whatever anymore. And The Beatles can’t hold a candle to Drake, Ed Sheeran, Rhianna or Beyonce in terms of sales or popularity. It’s 2019. Wake up, please!
    Considering The Beatles can still sell records is impressive, but it also says a lot about their fanbase buying the same things over and over.

laf848 and honestmaxx like this.
  23. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Guys, it did roughly 70,000 in sales, closer to 80,000 with streams/track downloads.

These aren’t terrible numbers... for a 50 year old album.

24. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

You seem to base your argument on The Beatles selling '8,000' physical copies of Abbey Road Anniversary.

Fact: It's the No1 album that only sold 8,000 physical copies.

Fact: The Beatles sold 64,000 physical copies of Abbey Road Anniversary.

25. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

And was the highest selling album of the 2000s decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.