Sympathy For The Devil Studio vs Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockNRod, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident Thread Starter

The studio version is just so darn gooood. Are there any live versions that even comes close to the original? It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but everytime I find a live version to play of it I'm always disappointed. Does anyone know of a live version that have a good vibe to it?

blutiga, PDK and DK Pete like this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I like the dedicated mono mix on the BB mono album. My favorite studio or live

DK Pete and googlymoogly like this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The live '69 version on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is a favorite of mine. Totally different arrangement, but it works.

BGLeduc, hi_watt, GreenFuz and 14 others like this.
  4. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

In my book, the closest version to the studio version is the 'Rock & Roll Circus' version.

5. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I really love the 1990 Tokyo VERSION
    KEITH IS ON FIRE!
    HE WAS HAVING A GOOD NIGHT THAT'S FOR SURE! HIS SOLO JUST AMPS UP THE WHOLE PIECE....(ooops sorry about the caps)

everyone's feeling it too!

RockNRod likes this.
  6. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

wish I knew how to post the video

7. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Ya ya’s is my go to live version. So different from the studio version but yet so powerful. Same with Stray Cat Blues.

But then again I think every song on Ya Ya’s is superior to the studio recording so what do I know?

56strat, BGLeduc, vegafleet and 8 others like this.
  8. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

That was the version I heard first. Had to warm up to the studio version. Truth be told I think I still prefer Ya-Ya's.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the stereo studio version for me...

bpmd1962 likes this.
  10. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Same here. I heard the Ya Ya’s version prior to hearing the studio version so perhaps that colors my opinion.

Detroit Music Fan and Rich C like this.
  11. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

The music in the 1969 Tour had a power in it that seemed to die at Altamont. It was short lived.

Of course it could have happened since that was the last gig in '69. They were much more showy and less immersed in the music by the time '72 rolled around.

George Blair, Zoot Marimba and RogerB like this.
  12. The Ya-Ya’s version is simply stunning. The guitar interplay between Richards, Taylor, and Wyman is simply incredible—some of the best ever recorded—bringing this studio masterpiece to even greater heights.

All the sinners saints,

Bill

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The nature of the studio version...almost entirely piano, bass (not played by Wyman) and percussion outside of the guitar solo, was always going to be an iffy proposition live, which I think is why it was skipped on most of their 70's and early 80's tours.

Having said that, I always liked the version from the St. Louis Bridges show. Not remarkably different from any post-70's version...the percussion loop means it's the one song where the tempo is consistent each night, but this one has a cool piano lead-in from Chuck, a well-sung Mick vocal, and a nice groove. It's not "close to the original" sound-wise, but I think it's one of the tighter, more consistent versions in my immediate memory.

aphexj, drapes, Nipper and 1 other person like this.
  14. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Haven’t seen or heard it in a long time but I remember liking the Atlantic City 89 version.

15. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

The original is one of the great rock and roll recordings of all time, period. Up there with Like a Rolling Stone or She Loves You or Baba O'Reilly or anything else. And Keith's solo among the best rock guitar solos of all time.

I've never heard a live version that matched it, but Ya-Ya's is pretty great. I'll have to look for some of these others, but the competition is stiff.

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I agree with all of this. But one thing I will say I dig is how different the song is from 1969 to 1975 to the 90's. It was such a studio creation that even if it never really was matched live, how it was interpreted over time was at least pretty interesting for the first 20 years, as opposed to say, "Brown Sugar" which hasn't really changed much over 5 decades except in coda length.

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I've heard a ton of live versions but I always return to the one on Ya Ya's...it stands alone as a great performance, totally different from the studio version..far as studio, for sound quality i also go with the dedicated mono mix. For what it's worth, my least favorite live version musically, is the one in R and R Circus. Jagger puts on a good show and all, but Keith doesn't impress me in the least. It sounds like he's somewhat trying to replicate aspects of the studio solo and fails pretty badly. This is why I've always questioned.....but i won't bother anymore...just gets me into trouble.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  18. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I’m bad at telling overdubs on live records but now I’m always wondering when I listen to GYYYA. Kind of a bummer.
    To me the studio version is greater than almost anything by anyone. But then Beggars Banquet is my favorite of theirs.

19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Absolutely. It's perfect. Everybody, and I mean everybody , has their part down. Nicky Hopkins is rockin' it and ' The Oo-Oo Choir ' nails it.

JuanTCB, EdogawaRampo and Chrsal like this.
  20. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Big fan of the Whoo - Whoo's...:D

21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

The Ya-Ya's version is a stunner, but I'm forever partial to the studio version. It's such a masterpiece on every single level. And Keith's solo is my favorite guitar solo ever.

I'll forever have memories of my dad air guitaring the hell out of that solo when we were about 15 feet away from Keith in '05/Seattle. So that's probably my favorite live version of it. Seeing it with my dad.

DHamilton, JeffMo, Rojo and 3 others like this.
  22. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Yeah. That's a favorite of mine too. I like the shot of Mick starting the count-in. And he actually sings the third verse, which he usually has skipped for most of the past thirty years. I think he only sings it on the Voodoo and Bridges tours.

walrus likes this.
  23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The Stones could never be arsed to duplicate the studio version of a song, any song, in their live set.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The guitar solos are great but too bad the verse with "all the sinners saints" is missing in the Ya-Yas version.

Bill Why Man and lukpac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.