Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Haha, all credits to you! :D I thought it was a brilliant idea for those of us who can't wait to share our thoughts on the next songs!

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

[QUOTE=" I really like to extend grace to folks and not hold the small transgressions against them like veering of topic occasionally.
    [/QUOTE]
    Going off'topic is ok as long as it's somewhat within context and doesn't incite a bitching and bickering brouhaha which I' ve seen here a number of times.

3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yes, I have quite the fear of an all out brouhaha breaking out at any moment!

4. Dr. Pepper

Listen up Mr. Spock, stop confusing the issue with logic. If we use logic then I always tend to lose!:help:

5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Just checking for calibrating here in regards to grades. In all of my schooling, grading went something like this:

100 (10): A+
    95 (9.5): A
    90 (9.0): A-
    85: B
    80: B-/C+
    75: C
    70: C-
    65: D
    60: D-
    59-Below: F

So when I see a 6.5/10 grade - I am thinking "the poster doesn't think this song is up to standard." Or, do you think 6.5 means it's a bit better than average?

Just curious to others' thoughts; not trying to start any argument. I try not to grade because I am not sure what the benchmark is. If Fixing A Hole is a 7.5 in my book, does Mumbo become a 2 in comparison? Does anyone think Mumbo is as good as Fixing A Hole? Or are you grading within the context of McCartney's solo work only?

Hermes and WilliamWes like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

No.

HELL no.

7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I absolutely love Love Is Strange! The reggae treatment makes it McCartney's second best reggae song, How Many People is his very best reggae song!
    People going off on related topic discussions is one of the very best things about any forum!

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've been a bit cranky over the last couple of days too. Crap going on at work.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

I don' t do the rate/grade/score thing because it' s meaningless to me after awhile.
    If I give , say , ' Strawberry Fields ' a 100, what do I give a lesser song? 99? And then what? The whole thing spirals downward and I wind up giving an excellent song like ' You've Got To Hide Your Love Away ' a 50. Wha--aa-tt?

11. Wildest cat from montana

I didn't know we worked at the same place! What department are you in?

12. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

"Love is Strange", yep, I love the performance, the playing, very cool. 4/5.

The MEZ, Piiijiii and omikron like this.
  13. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Here in the Netherlands we’d say:
    10 perfect
    9 excellent
    8 very good
    7 good
    6 average/sufficient
    5 just below average/sufficient
    4 insufficient/quite bad
    3 bad
    2 very bad
    1 awful

14. Dr. Pepper

For me, definitely not school grading system.

10 - absolute stone cold classic

9- nearly perfect for what the song was intended, i.e. "Little Girl" was never meant to be a Day in The Life, but for what it is and what it does it's a 9/10 for me

8 - Still classic and wonderful in it's own right, but a little step down from the first two

7 - wonderful track probably lower tier of what might be on a best of compilation, but still quite good

6- above average, but a slight miss

5 - average acceptable song, but not top notch by any means

4 and below - starting to get pretty questionable. With a 4 being at least they made some kind of effort.

Me too, sometimes this wonderful forum is a great safe place to run to kind of like comfort food.

15. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Love Is Strange - The instrumental intro takes too long, in my opinion, but the "many people, they don't understand" section is outstanding.

16. Dr. Pepper

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::laughup::laughup::laughup::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

17. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Love Is Strange isn't offensive, it's just utterly unnecessary.

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Not for me
    I like to bop around to it
    :)

omikron, Dr. Pepper and Piiijiii like this.
  19. Bemagnus

Next one
    Wild Life
    Fourth song into the slbum and now the real songs are starting to arrive
    Wild Life was ridiciled a bit because of the lyrics. As on so many other occasions McCartney could have the last slughet since this is an early and to this day very relevant environental song. A minor chord bluesy number with mezmerising lead-vocals from Paul. He seems to mean every word he delivers in a most hearfelt way. Perhaps he exorcises some of his demons here breaking away from the Beatles -cage. Perhaps the lines ”we are breathing a lot of political nonsense in the air” is amed at John. I don t know but I do know I love this track. Some argue it goes on to long-I don t mind. The harmony-vocals that would become one of Wings trademark really shines here. I saw Wings do this live back in 1972 and it was one of the greatest concert-experiences of my Life. Check up the live-version for proof. This is serious and honest stuff and I only wish Paul could have returned to this kind of style more often
    A very under-valued gem in Pauls catalogue. I never get tired of this one

The world "wild" applies to the words "you" and "me".
    While take a walk thru an African park one day,
    I saw a sign say, "The animals have the right of way".
    Wild life, whatever happened to,
    Wild life, the animals in the zoo?
    We're breathing a lot,
    a lot of political nonsense in the air.
    You're making it hard for the people who live in there.
    You're moving so fast, but, baby, you know not where.
    Wild life, (wild life), what's gonna happen to
    Wild life, (wild life), the animals in the zoo?
    You'd better stop, there's animals ev'rywhere,
    And man is the top, an animal too,
    And, man, you just got to care.
    Wild life, what's gonna happen to,
    Wild life, the animals in the zoo?
    You're…

The MEZ, Who Cares, Big Pasi and 2 others like this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

I really do enjoy this album as a whole, but most of the songs by themselves have quite a few issues. Wild Life is the best song so far.

Wild Life 7.5/10

Some People Never Know 8.5/10

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  21. Bemagnus

True
    But better things will follow. There are more gems on this album that generally believed

22. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Wild Life 5/5

Maybe my favourite Macca deep track, overlooked gem, etc.
    RAW McCartney at his best. Killer vocals, amazing lead guitar, mesmerizing harmony vocals.
    Lyrics on multiple levels (human's relation to the animal kingdom/nature, "political nonsensense") that are still up-to-date.

23. Dr. Pepper

In my great and unmatched wisdom I hereby give Yorick and anyone else in the vast kingdom of Hoffmania permission to use my copywrited spoiler of the next track format on any and all future posts in this thread. So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

BZync, Yorick and Bemagnus like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Those spoilers are the greatest spoilers ever, They spoil everything bigky. You -good Doctor -must be the king of all Spoilers. Your spoilers are nothing but the work of a stable genius
    :)

BZync, Yorick and Dr. Pepper like this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

:wtf::rolleyes:

Dr. Pepper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.