"Helter Skelter" 1976

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Were there two versions of this movie? I know it was a highly-praised 3-hour, two-part made-for-tv American movie that aired in Spring 1976, but I just saw a trailer for it that included nudity. :confused: And I certainly know that no boobs were being shown on American television in 1976.

Kossoff is God likes this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

As far as I know, only the standard TV version exists... I own it on DVD, and what I own is what would have been on the network back in '76... It'd be interesting if there was a longer/alternate cut of it out there...

There was another made for TV version from, I want to say 2003 or thereabouts, and I'm sure they release it on DVD as a "director's cut", with footage not shown on TV but to the best of my memory, that one didn't contain nudity either...

3. yesstiles

How long is your dvd? The one on Amazon Prime is 3 hrs. 4 min

4. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

As already said, there was a remake around 2004. The guy playing Manson in that one basically did a Jack Nicholson impression.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. NotDali92

NotDali92 New Member

AND THEN I SEE YOU AGAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIINN! YEAYEAYEAAAAUUUGHHHH!

6. Grand_Ennui

Right now, most all of my DVDs are boxed up in storage so I don't have immediate access to it, so I can't give you a running time, sorry...

That said, the running time of 3 hours, 4 minutes sounds about right... I know that probably doesn't help though...

7. yesstiles

I meant two versions of the 1976 movie.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Is this the one with Steve Railsback playing Manson?

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

There are two versions...…...one made for tv, and the other was a theatrical release (with nudity).
    I can remember the television series being advertised, and scaring the poop out of me (I was 8 years old). My parents told me a little bit about Charles Manson, but held off till I was older, and they did not let me watch the mini series on tv. It was many years later I caught it on cable.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don't see any mention of a theatrical release on the Wikipedia page. But I answered my own question: it is the one with Steve Railsback.

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yes...….I believe it mentions two versions at the very beginning of the Wiki Page (film).

GodShifter likes this.
  12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Wikipedia states "In some countries it was shown in cinemas, with additional footage including nudity, language and more violence" I guess that is considered a theatrical release? I'm not sure. @GodShifter

GodShifter likes this.
  13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Steve Railsback wasn't much of an actor but he made a pretty good Manson.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I haven't seen this one ('76 tv movie) in ages but I remember it being quite good. Not sure how well its held up over the years.

15. It's held up quite well, it still manages to creep one out

16. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

That movie actually kicked off my Beatle fandom. It was the talk of my junior high after the first showing; I caught the rerun months later and had to get the album with that Piggies song on it. It went from there.

I imagine the Beatle music would be gone if there ever was a modern release of this film.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure everything within the film was a cover version. Even back in the 1980's during reruns on local tv, it wasn't the actual Beatles recordings. I have always wondered who did the music and if their versions were released.

NaturalD likes this.
  18. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Ha, well they were good enough music to make me go get the record. That does make sense, though.

19. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Something I remembered and just checked out: Enid Wistrich's book I Don't Mind The Sex It's The Violence: Film Censorship Explored says the 1976 version was given a certificate by the BBFC, so it was presumably shown in British cinemas.

20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I recall radio ads in the 70s for midnight movie showings in theaters including warnings about "footage too shocking for TV". I was too young for those midnight movies, but I definitely remember ads for an "uncensored" movie version.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. yesstiles

I'm surprised then that we haven't seen a version combining the extended tv version with the uncensored theatrical version. Only the tv version seems to exist. It was an unprecedented ratings success, with I think 60% of televisions tuning in. Now 10% would be huge haha.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I liked him in Lifeforce. He’s always been kind of a weird, quirky actor. The Stuntman was good, too. I haven’t a lot of his filmography though.

23. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Hahaha - I was thinking of Lifeforce when I mentioned his lack of acting ability. He was intense though, and that counts for a lot. Plus when you have Mathilda May running around naked, it's easy to overlook other flaws...:nyah:

GodShifter likes this.
  24. Grand_Ennui

The "Beatles" songs in both the 1976 and the 2004 made for TV movies of "Helter Skelter" used cover versions of the songs... Original Beatles cuts were never in either one...

25. Grand_Ennui

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.