Anticables level 1 speaker cables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would love to hear opinions on these.

2. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Are those the red coated, single strand ones? I use a set with my cabin setup: PrimaLuna Prologue 2, Sonos, and Klipsch Heresey I.

They do fine, though this is not a real critical-listening application, so I can't expound on their virtues (or vices). They are easy to bend and shape, and they will hold where you leave them, if that's important. Do they even still make level 1?

3. bajaed

I think it's 1.3 now.

Subagent likes this.
  4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have a bi-wire set of Level 2 speaker "cables". They sound fine in my system. I wouldn't mind trying something different down the road someday.

5. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I had them at one point, but they were such a hassle to deal with...They are quite transparent though, but I prefer cables from Chord instead.

6. bajaed

Hassle as far as purchasing or using?

7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I used to use Anticables level 3, and in repeated comparisons, they were more open and more bright than several other kinds of cables. I can't explain this based on the measured characteristics of the cable, but others have reported it, too. So I would recommend Anticables to one who wants an extremely open sound, even at the cost of some excess brightness.

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Hassle? They are extremely stiff. I find them a pain to run. Once in place though, they're fine.

As for sound, they sound fine. But I'm not a guy who puts much stock in cables making a big difference. It's been years since I actually took the time to listen for any difference in cables.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  9. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Only complaint is you need to wind them up so they don't touch the floor. I use a long poster roll container which works perfectly. I have the Vandersteen bi wire 2.1 and they seem to do their job. I do have their length uneven which Vandersteen seems to not agree in their documentation. Anyone have uneven lengths and notice any issues?

10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Length differences would result in more resistance and capacitance in the longer one which "might" affect sound.

Timing will not be affected.

11. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I had the Anti-Cables Level 2 speaker cables and ended up switching them out for Blue Jeans BJC 10 Whites. Easier to run, flexible if you like to experiment with speaker position and less expensive. I couldn’t detect a difference in sound quality.

timind likes this.
  12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Thanks, the Anitcables site said just don't go any lower than half the length of the other, so one is 9 feet the other 5 feet. If you just have a good way to coil them, they look rather cool and connect very well when using spades. I'd imagine banana connectors could have a tendency to pop out if the connections are not tight or have a locking mechanism.

13. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Probably not a great idea to coil speaker cables. Doing so can create a magnetic field and maximize potential interaction with the current. Maybe an electrical engineer could elaborate better...

14. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Actually they recommend this by using a wine bottle.

15. Kristofferabild

To setup and every time I moved the speakers. Plus they are really ugly, sorry.

16. Kristofferabild

To setup and every time I moved the speakers. Plus they are really ugly, sorry.

17. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

A pair years ago made my 1/2 ohm stable mc2500 make a loud whuuummp and develop issues which needed professional servicing. I sent the anticables back and have avoided them since.

18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

How did wires alone do this? Was there a short in the cabling? That's my only concern with these as the wires seem suspect to easily be scratched and expose the inner wire.

19. motorstereo

That was my thought to that there was a scratch in the ultra thin enamel coating which caused a short. I sent them back and of course the fellow that sold them to me claimed they were fine; I say hogwash

20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

that would make sense, I've wondered if that could be an issue with these and I am very careful what they touch and make sure they do not contact the floor.

21. motorstereo

^^^As long as you're careful like you say you'll more than likely be fine.

22. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

For custom length, true bi wired, Vandersteen spade connectors...these are truly some of the best priced cables you can buy. They have held up in multiple speaker changes and seem to not interfere with the sound. I like the fact these are solid core as all my previous inexpensive cables ended up fraying or breaking on the ends near the terminations. These hold up very well in repeated use even if they are a pain to coil up from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.