Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

anyone know if they are going to come out with a cheaper version of #15 maybe a single cd version?

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

How cheap do you want it, exactly?

fluffskul and voles like this.
  3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i don't know a single CD say 14 dollars or so , and maybe curated a bit so not all the fluff is there. plus my CD holding area is crammed tight as it is.

4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

This time around it's 3 CDs /3 LPs or nothing. If there is to be a single CD it'll be a promo only.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

There will be a sampler, but possibly digital only. iTunes briefly had it listed, albeit the track list was incomplete: It will be at least 15 songs:

1. I Pity the Poor Immigrant (Take 4)

2. I Am a Lonesome Hobo (Take 4)

3. To Be Alone with You (Take 1)

4. Lay, Lady, Lay (Take 2)

5. Tell Me That It Isn't True (Take 2)

6. Country Pie (Take 2)

7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ?????

13. Ring of Fire (Outtake)

14. East Virginia Blues (with Earl Scruggs) [Mono]

15. All Along the Watchtower (Take 3)

More?

Percy Song, HominyRhodes and RayS like this.
  6. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

It’s pretty awesome fluff.

It’s also $27 right now (Amazon) for 3 CDs. I’m good with it.

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Interesting discovery. It’s likely NPR will have a stream of highlights too, in the near future. I’d guess those unlisted tracks are mostly Johnny Cash duets, which are otherwise unrepresented.

Yet again, the “dirge-like” version of “As I Went Out One Morning” that generated so much enthusiasm at Tulsa seems to be overlooked, unless it’s among that handful of unidentified songs too.

Percy Song, HominyRhodes and RayS like this.
  8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Gotta say, although this concept was far from the top of my personal wishlist, as it gets closer I find myself more and more excited for Travelin’ Thru.

In some ways, this seems like the type of set that was implicitly promised by the Bootleg Series from the very beginning, making higher quality, beefed up versions of the longtime classic bootlegs available officially. Although I greatly prefer the more ambitious collections of recent years, this approach sometimes has its place too (and it’s well timed too, with the more expansive RTR box also released this year).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  9. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

You are correct. Here is the full sampler track list. The Cash duets weren't showing up in my library due to how they were sorted. Also, no "As I Went Out One Morning"

1. I Pity the Poor Immigrant (Take 4)

2. I Am a Lonesome Hobo (Take 4)

3. To Be Alone with You (Take 1)

4. Lay, Lady, Lay (Take 2)

5. Tell Me That It Isn't True (Take 2)

6. Country Pie (Take 2)

7. I Still Miss Someone (Take 5) with Johnny Cash

8. Matchbox (Take 1) with Johnny Cash

9. Big River (Take 1) with Johnny Cash

10. Girl from the North Country (Rehearsal) with Johnny Cash

11. Guess Things Happen That Way (Take 3) with Johnny Cash

12. Wanted Man (Take 1) with Johnny Cash

13. Ring of Fire (Outtake)

14. East Virginia Blues (with Earl Scruggs) [Mono]

15. All Along the Watchtower (Take 3)

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Nice to see that “Wanted Man” is evidentially substantial enough to warrant this sort of spotlight. Also, “Country Pie” being included is starting to make me think maybe it’s not the ASP take after all (it’s not listed as such, but it seemed likely to me based on the session documentation). Might even be an unexpected treat. The Rolling Stone article also mentioned that “there are alternative versions of songs like “One More Night,” “Peggy Day,” and “Country Pie” that are quite different than their album counterparts” that I may not given enough attention to.

Dflow, Percy Song, SPARTACUS and 3 others like this.
  11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm not interested in "One More Night,” “Peggy Day” or “Country Pie". These
    songs are nice, but they never grabbed me. Perhaps I'll respond better to a
    different arrangement and vocal. It will be interesting to hear them, but I
    doubt if I'll listen more than two or three times. I'm very interested in the
    John Wesley Hardin tracks, however. I wish they had included the entire
    sessions insofar as they have them and let us do our own curating.

I like the cover art. The cover photo shows Bob Dylan doing his Johnny Cash
    impersonation. He's not doing it consciously, but he IS doing it. Dylan is a
    real-life Leonard Zelig.

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m interested in anything to do with Nashville Skyline, even if the alternate takes aren’t super different.

905, Percy Song, HominyRhodes and 2 others like this.
  13. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

14. George P

George P Notable Member

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Great piece!

A quick question: regarding John Wesley Harding, the piece states:

“We will get alternate versions of seven of the albums twelve songs, while the remaining five were first takes.

I’m probably late to the party here, but do we know if that’s true for the four songs from the 3rd (final) JWH session?

dee and DeeThomaz like this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Not impossible but I’m skeptical.

Krogsgaard lists “Wicked Messenger” and “I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight” being recorded from 6PM-9PM, and “Down Along The Cove” & “Dear Landlord” from 9PM-Midnight. Six hours for Bob & the hyper-efficient Nashville Cats to go thru 4 takes? You’d think they’d at least whip up a version of “Spanish Is The Loving Tongue” in celebration of completing the album so painlessly.

I suspect the tapes from that day are lost, with only the tracks pulled to master remaining. Further, I’d guess Krogsgaard’s entry isn’t based on session logs (likely lost too), but rather musician union records. But I could certainly be wrong. If Bob & the Cats really did polish the record off that cleanly it would certainly be a remarkable end to what seem to be a remarkably complication free set of sessions (for, yes, a very remarkable album).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  17. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Sadly, I suspect you’re right about this. Maybe that’s part of the reason they went with a curated approach, as opposed to releasing the entire sessions - too much missing to do it properly.

JWH is my favorite Bob record, and the outs from these sessions are a sort of holy grail for me. At this point, I’m feeling grateful that anything survives at all, but the idea that alternates of Dear Landlord are sitting in a box somewhere unknown eats at me a bit.

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

If the rumors of JWH outtakes discreetly circulating among a tiny handful of collectors are true, could they be from the seemingly lost third session? Could a fan somehow have obtained those reels?

19. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I have never believed to this rumour.

905, HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

The late Terry Kelly interviewed Michael Krogsgaard at length for The Bridge fanzine (#27) in 2006/2007. Terry asks MK if there are "... multiple takes of Drifter's Escape, I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine, All Along The Watchtower, As I Went Out One Morning etc..."

It seems a slightly odd question to ask because it was well known by then that there were multiple takes of the songs mentioned because MK's listings for JWH had been published in 1995. Nevertheless, MK's response was this:-

"There are different takes of most tracks. For example, John Wesley Harding was recorded twice, but I think the reason for that was that they were too slow starting the tape during the first take, so there are a few bars missing. All Along The Watchtower was done in a couple of identical versions but with bad endings, so the recorded the ending separately and spliced it on. There are different versions of As I went Out One Morning, I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine, I Pity The Poor Immigrant and other songs but I think these three sessions are very much in line with the way Dylan usually works: record a few takes, so the feeling is still there, and try out different arrangements."

Unfortunately, that's all that is said about JWH in the interview. The tapes for the third session (29 November) were missing, apparently, but MK reported in 1995, when his "Recording Sessions" project was first serialised in "The Telegraph" fanzine, that "... the session tape has been located but not been available for examination yet."

That comment remains on the MK logs to this day so it seems it/they were never made available to him and may have since gone missing again. Either way, it seems implausible to me that the last four songs were all recorded in one take during two 3-hour sessions.

Roger Ford, rednax, BlueTrane and 4 others like this.
  21. HominyRhodes

Thanks for finding that Krogsgaard quote, and I heartily agree with you. :thumbsup:

IMHO, they still have the October 17th and November 6th session tapes, but the complete November 29th reels are M.I.A. The four released takes from the final two sessions clearly still exist somewhere, and the recalled version of Biograph had a version of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" with a slightly longer fade-out at the end, but it certainly appears that everything else recorded on 11/29/67 has disappeared. If those tapes ended up in private hands, I suppose there's a very slight chance we might hear them someday, but I'm not hopeful.

I've been sifting and sorting the 1967-69 tracks listed on the Krogsgaard/Bjorner pages, and made a six-part summary -- first one for the JWH sessions:

[​IMG]

22. HominyRhodes

23. HominyRhodes

Parts 4 and 5, including the Dylan-Cash sessions:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Great stuff, as usual!

25. HominyRhodes

Part 6:
    [​IMG]

(Still sorting out the April-May 1969 sessions, so more to come. :cool:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.