Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I think the AP Someday My Prince Will Come sounds fantastic. The AP Seven Steps to Heaven sounds really great too. It’s true that Miles sounds pretty hot on the LA tunes, but nothing that would ever prevent me from putting it on. All other instruments are well recorded, and the NY material is all excellent, especially the title track and “Joshua,” where it is very exciting to hear the very beginnings of the second quintet.

markp, Dmann201, Morbius and 3 others like this.
  2. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Guys, if you were stuck on an island (other than Cuba), which one of these would you rather have with you...Into Somethin' or Afro-Cuban?

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It depends on the island. Is it a deserted one? Is it Kauai, with its own music?

Afro-Cuban is infectious and fun. It also combines two different 10" album sessions. Into Something is more straight ahead (and organ jazz centered). Perhaps the latter album is the more cerebral. Which one floats your boat?

timzigs likes this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nice to hear! Have not visited this thread in a bit because I'm afraid of how much more it will cost me than it already has. But I wanted to treat the wife to a couple more SRX titles for the holidays (have 7 of 13) and Afro-Cuban is my first choice. I was also looking at the Sonny Rollins title for my second choice. The only other key title I'm missing from this line is "A Night In Tunisia" which I have a Mobile Fidelity disc of.

Could anyone give me their thoughts on the Dorham and Rollins titles and if I might be better to pass on the Rollins and get the Blakey instead. I already have "Free For All" and I love it!

Thanks in advance...

edit - so much for A Night In Tunisia, it's now only available in the complete set...oh well.

5. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

You're absolutely right. If I were building the boat to float off the island, I'd certainly go with the more cerebral approach, a la Into Somethin'. If the island was fun and came with coconuts and a bottle of Zacapa, Afro-Cuban would be accompanying.

Seriously, I've listened to both, but it's hard to get a feel for these records without hearing the MMJ magic. My Classic Afro-Cuban seems a little primitive sounding and streaming Into Somethin' lacks the depth I anticipate the MMJ will bring. So, I suppose I'm asking for opinions based primarily on the sound quality of each.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think Sonny Rollins vol 1 is incredible sounding. I love the album and sounds like he’s next to me. Very happy with it

7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

These are both excellent albums and if I had to choose I'd probably dive into the ocean. But seriously, Afro-Cuban is an earlier vehicle for the incomparable Kenny Dorham and the theme is so un-run of the mill, so you can't exclude that one. Into Somethin' is Larry Young, a fresh and unique talent (for his time) and the album is such a sleeper when I think of it next to Unity or Talkin' About! you just can't resist!

timzigs likes this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

sounds wise even compared to the srx I find the Larry young better sounding. MM does the Hammond like no other, Larry is awesome. I don’t need to add anything on top of the MM combo of grant green and elvin Jones that I’m sure you already know :)

timzigs likes this.
  9. I prefer Afro-Cuban musically. I have not heard the MMJ Into Somethin’, so I can’t comment there.

googlymoogly and timzigs like this.
  10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I don’t find Into Somethin’ nearly as good as Unity.

If you have Unity and need more, I would get Grant Green’s Talkin’ About then get Into Somethin’ if you are hooked.

Afro Cuban bears no relationship to Into Somethin’ other than they are both jazz. It’s like asking whether you should have fried chicken or a bowl of chili. I mean, yeah, they are both food, but...

I personally think Afro Cuban is a more important record to own.

AnalogJ, timzigs and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

@timzigs you do realize the best answer is get both, yes?

Twinsfan007, Admerr, mikeyt and 3 others like this.
  12. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Hah, yeah, I know. Happens all the time. I think I've got all I need from MMJ, then I'm back to the well for more. And I think it's contagious based on some of the comments and habits I've seen on here :uhhuh:

Appreciate all the feedback. I'm leaning toward Afro-Cuban. I do love the sound of Unity, but it has Henderson and a stronger track selection than either Into Somethin' or Talkin' About (and I really don't need another version of "Cowhand").

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

can’t go wrong with dorham. And if you don’t have it already you might as well add Dorham live Bohemia while it’s still a reasonable price :p

14. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Bohemia is fabulous and one of my top sonic surprises — feels like you’re right there with the band.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    recstar24 likes this.
  15. It may or may not influence your decision, @timzigs, but the BN 80 series is doing Into Somethin' in April of next year.

timzigs likes this.
  16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Sold some CDs I didn't know were that rare/expensive and bought 5 new MMJ titles!
    Jazz Messengers Cafe Bohemia Vol 1 and Vol 2 45rpm
    Horace Silver Cape Verdean Blues 33rpm
    Donald Byrd Byrd In Hand and The Cat Walk 45rpm

It's been a great week.

jgrillo, Admerr, mikeyt and 8 others like this.
  17. Some great choices! Both of the Bohemia albums are fantastic. The Cat Walk gets a lot of love but I prefer Byrd in Hand, personally.

Glenn coates likes this.
  18. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Cape Verdean is one of Horace's best IMHO. Joe Henderson and Woody Shaw in fine form.
    Not sure if any of my CD collection are worth much, but choosing to throw all the covers out and store them in wallets 15 years ago, probably hasn't added to their value. :oops:

timzigs, GreatTone, Clucking and 2 others like this.
  19. MealsOnWheelsATX

MealsOnWheelsATX Active Member

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a few months and this is my first post (I just registered)...so please be gentle :cool:. I have been skimming this thread but its also 827 pages...soo...
    I'm a long time Jazz Drummer, and just got my first REAL system a few months ago a Rega P3, Peachtree 500 Nova Amp and PSB Imagine T's. Prior to that I've only owned CD's...
    Anyways...at my local record shop I picked up a few SRX titles...Afro Cuban, Inner Urge and solid...oh MY Afro-Cuban blew me away...I have it on CD...but just WOW!

The only MMJ tiles I have a SRX, right now. I have a small but mighty collection so far of MoFi One Step's Monk/ Bill Evans and Miles Davis 45 RPM's too...

Anyways...I'm looking to pick up about 14 titles from MMJ...but for the non SRX 33 1/2 or 45 RPM...I know this is loaded question, also not sure what will be next for SRX.

I'll keep reading this for recommendations but based on my system if both formats are available which to buy? The SRX is pretty amazing but doesn't offer all I'm looking for.

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I played drums 20 years ago, and the sound of drums and really the cymbals are what truly pulled me into the MM series.
    I feel at times like I can actually feel the wood stick off the ride, Solid is a special favorite of mine because of that. It’s a fantastic lineup but Elvin plays great and the drums sound so 3d real. I’ve been pretty happy with just about anything with Elvin on it - real McCoy, Andrew Hills Judgment, In n Out...

As you dig deeper I’d be interested in which ones you think the drums sound especially spectacular.

Joti Cover, Elofan, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

First of all, welcome to the real analog world. Secondly, nice entry system. Well done. What are you using for a cartridge on the P3?

And finally, what is your question? Which records to buy?? If so, that really depends upon your taste.

A few of my favorite Blue Notes still available?

Art Blakey's Moanin' - on Analogue Productions 45rpm
    Lou Donaldson Blues Walk on the SRX 33 vinyl
    Tina Brooks True Blue - I prefer the 45, but some prefer the 33
    Horace Silver Song For My Father - I have the 45. I can't comment on the 33.

And then don't overlook the Tone Poet series, produced by Joe Harley for Don Was at Blue Note. Also, the 80th Anniversary Blue Notes series is worth looking at. These two series can be had for about $27 and $22 respectively on Amazon and other fine retailers.

Wayne Shorter's Etcetera via the Tone Poet series may be my favorite thus far, and Robert Glasper's Canvas might be my favorite thus far from the 80th Anniversary series (this is an album spread out over 2 LPs, and sounds MUCH better than the CD).

jgrillo and timzigs like this.
  22. MealsOnWheelsATX

Thanks Diver Dan! I end up buying a decent amount of titles today, a few more SRX, and the rest of the MM's were 45's for what I wanted, I picked up one 33 1/2...Maiden Voyage.

I listened to Solid tonight actually...on EZZ-THETIC...the ride cymbal...that ride cymbal...especially when Elvin moves to the bell does bounce right off the speaker!
    I actually listened to, on Qobuz, The Kicker (4th Track), off the Bobby Hutcherson album titled The Kicker right after solid ended. Green and Henderson are on it, so was a fun back-to-back. Not sure why Hutcherson's Kicker hasn't been pressed yet...

Anyways, that ride cymbal felt and sounded like I could touch it. I was lucky enough to see the Brain Blade Fellowship Band a few weeks ago in a small club, Brian's ride cymbal was about 20 feet from me...and I'm getting a similar feeling right now. Anyway...I'm digging this SRX Solid, a lot!

23. MealsOnWheelsATX

It's an Elys 2 MM, looking back I should have gotten the P6 at least...but my local shop had a P3 Red in stock that day and I took it. Good new is, I'd go up to a P8 rather than a P6 when the time times in a few years. I want to get the most out of this cartridge at least. I guess I could have looked at PrimaLuna for how much I paid for the Peachtree Nova 500...but so far I like the 500 a lot.

My question was more, if I were to build a collection from MM what speed should I try to build around. I used the SRX > 45 RPM > 33 1/2 RPM. Not sure about the feelings about that. Also... the double 45's flips rather than the single 33 1/2 might annoy me. I already have a few AP 45's, seems like my biggest challenge is remember to remove the platter to change the speed prior to placing the record. But, I do like the sound a lot

Thanks for the tips Analog J and the warm welcome.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

If the APs you have don't already annoy you in practice, then I suppose it just comes down to your personal preference in sound. As mentioned above the Tone Poet series is really solid so you can build a great collection on just the 33s alone unless you like the sound of the 45s and want your fave titles in that format. I personally prefer the 33s but have no issues with the 45s I do have. It's a great time to be a jazz audiophile, so may options.

Fender Relic and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of the 45s. Very noticeable difference is soundstage and instrument separation. At least to me. Well worth the extra flips.

It's hard to obtain, but Inventions & Dimensions is truly astounding.

Midnight Blew, though a 33, blows me away.

From a pure sonics standpoint, those are my standouts.

You have covered the entire thread so you have tons of info already. Just buy as many titles as you can afford and enjoy the ride (cymbal??).

Greenmonster2420 likes this.