Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

It’s nice to have a jawn when you’re down the shore.

footlooseman, Mad Dog and bzfgt like this.
  2. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

I usually don't quote and reply to myself, but strangely, I have to update this message only one day later. First, my last communication from Dr. Rhino was July 2. Today, however, a package arrived via ups from Warner Music Group in Los Angeles. Yep, it was my replacement discs for Dave's 30 (I guess posting on an Internet message board is the key to customer satisfaction!). Anyways, it was good news and made me feel much better about Rhino's customer service. The bad news is disc three is STILL defective (the bonus was fine, though).

So, although I still have major concerns about the the QC of Rhino's manufacturing process (and I don't think I'll ever hear disc three of Dave's 30), In the spirit of fairness, I had to post that although it took more than three months, Rhino did send the replacements as promised.

3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Scratched, scuffed and otherwise unplayable discs. Not saying that it's a widespread issue but there have been some complaints.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I never called Penny Pack a "crick". Always a "creek". Now as far as "down the shore" and "wauder" (if you want to be phonetically correct).
    And regarding the Kidd board, I am listening to Dave 16 (3/28/73). I'd be quite satisfied if the Philly release sounds this good.

5. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Any tapes that were part of the 3 storage locker batches are generally referred to as Betty Boards since they were her storage lockers. Back when the initial batch (and for years and years the only batch) circulated they were all part of the "Betty Boards" even though many were from 1971 to 1973, which I think was before she started making her (2-track) recordings.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  6. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

This describes my last few hours. Cooked dinner while listening to to Dave's 5. Now finishing it up with a Scotch in hand. 1973 in all its glory.

7. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Right, so essentially nomenclature. See my additional post above for why I asked. To me ".... Board" denotes who was behind the recording desk and who made the recording, not who stored the tapes/reels, despite it being the iconic Betty. As I said, I wanted to qualify it as to who actually did the work and to offer credit where credit is due.

unravelled likes this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

Damn that's a good one. Nice evening. So, beside the band, what's cookin'?

unravelled, footlooseman and US Blues like this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

I know, that's why I said I can see why it's so attractive. I do too, despite being a "whole show" feller.

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Scotch and '73 go SO well together.

Pray tell, Whats in your dram?

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I’m mystified why they’re releasing this DaP. My SBD is like honey. Fantastic mix! If it’s an upgrade, it’s going to sound spooky good.

Killer “Hear Comes Sunshine,” by the way.

12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

13. rufus t firefly

Nothing special. Chicken cutlets,rice ,veggies. The Scotch is not usual for me. More of a Bourbon guy.

14. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Contender for second best HCS after 2.23.74?

15. rufus t firefly

Monkey Shoulder. recent acquisition, easing my way into the Scotch world. Its excellent.

unravelled, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  16. Jerry

Hmmm, mine is the full show. No mold, and the only water damage is a bong spill.

17. Jerry

I might prefer this one. The ending harmonies are as good as they ever got.

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Interesting. Ill check it out. I’m a single malt man myself. Actually I’m in a relationship.
    I like a peaty malt from ‘round Islay. Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Caol Ila th’ like.

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I have 6/22/73 as my top version, with Bobby rockin' the Eventide Clockworks Instant Phaser. Of course, I haven't heard the 2/23/74 version. I will endeavor to rectify that post haste.

You should give Talisker, from Skye, a try. Not quite as in your face peat like Lagavulin, but it's quite good.

20. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

2-15-73 has always been my go to version. I dig all the ones mentioned. But 2-15 has always been just exactly perfect.

21. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Super psyched for the new DAP as well. I still remember my purple tape cover with a small Bear in the top corner and DEAD on the spine with 3-24-73. The tape of the set I got worn out in the summer of 95. Heavy jams in March of 73, Pig was on their minds.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Crispy Rob, adamos, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I lived in Philly for 8 years, and it sounds more like "wooder" than "wauder" (which is basically how almost every American pronounces "water") to me...

23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Cool, I got confused somewhere in all that...

24. AxiomAcoustics

Have you tried listening to the music play?

:p

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Yep... 2,15 for me.

trd, US Blues and RockRoom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.