Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Wild Life - Prefer the Wings Over Europe version of this. The part where Paul sings "you better stop" and the song stops for half a second is great.

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Next one
    Some people never know
    Side 2 of Wild Life begins with this incredible song. The melody is absolutely top-tier McCartney. Same vibes-at least for me-as Two of us from Let it be
    I really dig the semi-acoustic arrangement, the harmony-vocals shines and the whole song is majestic. I know some people think it s to long-not for me. This melody is every bit as good as many songs he wrote with the Beatles and the lyrics are not bad either. A sadly forgotten masterpiece that showcases Paul’s melodicism at its very best
    I love this one that must rank as one of Paul’s finest deep cuts

No one else will ever see
    How much faith you have in me
    Only fools would disagree that it's so
    Some people never know
    Like a fool, I'm faraway
    Every night I hope and pray
    I'll be coming home to stay and it's so
    Some people never know
    Some people can sleep at nighttime, believing that love is a lie
    I'm only a person like you, love
    And who in the world can be right, all the right time
    I know I was wrong, make me right, right
    Some people can sleep at nighttime, believing that love is a lie
    I'm only a person like you, love
    And who in the world can be right, all the right time
    I know…

The MEZ, Big Pasi, 905 and 3 others like this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I just started listening to the Wild Life album very recently, and it seems indeed very lightweight. But this song, Some people never Know, sounds as if it could've improved the Let it Be album. I won't rate this - to me - new stuff yet.

4. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Some People Never Know 4/5 ~ great track with a Let It Be vibe indeed. Maybe a bit too long.

The MEZ, BZync and Bemagnus like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Some People Never Know - best cut on the record, hidden gem in the McCartney/Wings arsenal, lovely and tuneful. 5/5

The MEZ, 905, BZync and 4 others like this.
  6. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

Some People Never Know- One of the highlights of this album for me, I was floored the first time I heard it. Love the lyrics, (I’m only a person like you, love, and who in the world can be right all the right times?) and the whole thing has sort of a ramshackle glory, like it might fall apart any second, but they keep it together til that cool outro! I love how it builds and adds different elements, is that a harmonium? It’s not as audible on the recent remaster for me but I love Paul singing under the “ooohs” on the bridge, really lovely. 4.5/5

ParloFax, The MEZ, WilliamWes and 4 others like this.
  7. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I have for the most part avoided the songs I dislike in this thread. But I will make an exception for "Wild Life".

It's one of the worst songs written and recorded by McCartney, of course, IMO.

The music is derivative from "Summertime", the lyrics are very weak. The arrangement is very standard, the vocal is absolutely over the top and the instrumental performance is also weak.

It's hard to find so many below-par elements in a McCartney song.

WilliamWes, BZync and omikron like this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

joy stinson and coco77 like this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Too Many People 8.5/10
    A favorite on the album. A really nice song. Paul and the gang, maybe should have gone with that name over Wings, do an impressive job on this one!

I am your Singer 7/10

WilliamWes, coco77 and Bemagnus like this.
  10. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

Too many people never know?

Dr. Pepper and Bemagnus like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Don't sugarcoat it.Tell us how you really feel!
    Cheers

Rojo and Bemagnus like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

To many people?
    Some people got 3 legs
    I don t know
    Some people never know
    :)

Dr. Pepper and coco77 like this.
  13. Dr. Pepper

C'mon people now forgive your brother, everybody get together and let Dr. Pepper off the hook.

So I made a little mistake on the title, but in my defense there are quite a few "People" songs out there. I of course was referring to the Lennonesque all time Paul classic Power To The People 10/10, right on!

coco77, MPLRecords and Bemagnus like this.
  14. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Too Many People Want Peace?

What are you, insane?

coco77 and omikron like this.
  15. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Bip Bop - 3/5
    Love Is Strange - 5/5 Absolutely LOVE this cover
    Wild Life - 5/5 excellent vocal
    Some People Never Know - 5/5 favorite song on this album, simply incredible

The MEZ, WilliamWes, Piiijiii and 2 others like this.
  16. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

:D

I usually find something to like in almost every McCartney -- could be a nice melody, a great bridge, a hook, a good vocal, a nice arrangement, etc. Not on this one.

17. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

Power To The Too Many Lonely Old People Want Peace (Never Know)(I Know)

(okay I’m done now :))

WilliamWes, omikron and BZync like this.
  18. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Some People Never Know is a lovely, melodic, well written song trapped inside a rambling six and a half minute recording. There is an instrumental section beginning at 3:30 and ending at 4:00 during which the song should fade out. Instead it, inexplicably, goes on for another three minutes.

So much about the Wild Life album feels like filler or padding.

Earlier, I proposed the theory that Paul was learning how to write songs that were different from his work with the Beatles. Side one of Wild Life is an example of Paul trying and failing. Some People Never Know feels like it is trying to find that balance between a quest for a new sound and acknowledging his melodic strengths. The performance as well feels like the transition from the polish of Ram to the loose sound of Wild Life. I feel like this track would have fit well on Red Rose Speedway. It's the first track from Wild Life that would. But on Speedway it would have been fine tuned a bit further (and likely edited down a bit).

Now may be a good time to mention how well recorded most of Wild Life is. This is a pretty crisp and up front sounding album. The acoustic guitars and the drums on this track have a wonderful attack that, for example, Little Lamb Dragonfly lacks. The vocals are up front and pretty dry which, in part, gives it that slightly rough feel. Honestly, Linda's vocal being so prominent in the mix is the other element that gives it a somewhat rough feel. I do not mean that as a criticism. I like the quality of Linda's voice, but it is not the smooth, confident voice of a professional singer. Therefore it further accents the unpolished nature of the sound. (Anyone who loves rock knows that it isn't the quality of the voice, its the quality of the singer).

The MEZ, Dean R, Hermes and 3 others like this.
  19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Singalong Junk

The instrumental version of Junk. It's so beautiful. The melancholic melody is simple but sophisticated.

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Drums,, Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Piano, Mellotron by Paul McCartney
    Label: Apple Corps
    Release Date: April 17, 1970
    Recorded at 7 Cavendish Avenue, St John's Wood, London, U.K.
    Length: 2:37 minutes

20. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Mumbo 7.5/10
    Bip Bop 7.5/10
    Love Is Strange 7.5/10
    Wild Life 8.5/10
    Some People Never Know 8.5/10 --> The song sort of overstays its welcome by a minute or what to be a stone cold classic, but it's a beautiful ballad and I love it!

I Am Your Singer 7.5/10
    The demo on the boxset made me appreciate this song so much more! It's Paul going Jobim. Lovely tune. Version on Wild Life could have benefited from some extra work.

The MEZ, Piiijiii, WilliamWes and 2 others like this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

I know this is a McCartney thread but this is a woefully underrated seldom heard Lennon classic. Just sayin'.

22. Wildest cat from montana

Reading these posts , I see a common complaint about the songs on ' Wild Life ' is that they're too long.
    Well , maybe that ' s a legit beef but I think McCartney probably only had a handful of songs at his disposal and wanted to record them quickly to maintain a fresh and somewhat raw feel to the sessions. They"re loose and stretched out.
    The difference between this album and ' Ram' is obvious. The latter is crafted and slick. ' Wild life' is , well...wild.

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  23. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Though George Harrison hated it. He found "Mumbo" and "Bip Bop" "...hard to relate to..."

24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Maybe I’m Amazed

A beautiful composition. An expression of love. A masterpiece. Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    Maybe, I'm amazed at the way you love me all the time
    And maybe I'm afraid of the way I love you
    Maybe I'm amazed at the way you pulled me out of time
    You hung me on a line
    Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you

[Bridge]
    Baby, I'm a man, and maybe I'm a lonely man
    Who's in the middle of something
    That he doesn't really understand
    Maybe I'm a man, and maybe you're the only woman
    Who could ever help me
    Baby, won't you help me to understand?
    Ooh-ah

[Guitar solo: Paul McCartney]

[Bridge]
    Baby, I'm a man, and maybe I'm a lonely man
    Who's in the middle of something
    That he doesn't really understand
    Maybe I'm a man, and maybe you're the only woman
    Who could ever help me
    Baby, won't you help me to understand?
    Ooh-ah

[Verse 2]
    Maybe I'm amazed at the way you're with me all the time
    And maybe I'm afraid of the way I leave you
    Maybe I'm amazed at the way you help me sing my song
    You right me when I'm wrong
    Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you

Oh, oh, oh
    Hey-hey-hey!
    Oh, oh
    Oh, ooh-ooh-ooh
    Yeah, yeah, yeah
    Ooh

[Guitar solo: Paul McCartney]

Credits:

Drums,, Bass, Guitar, Piano, Keyboards, Lead Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Linda McCartney
    Recorded at Abbey Road Studios on February 22, 1970
    Length: 3:53 minutes

Paul's comments:

"Written in London, at the piano, with the second verse added slightly later, as if you cared.

A movie was made, using Linda's slides and edited to this track."

"Sometimes we're a bit daft here. We have a bit of a funky organisation, you know, which isn't that clued into picking tracks off albums. At the time we thought Maybe I'm Amazed was a good track and maybe we should do that as a single, which it probably should have been. But we never did."

Source: https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/paul-mccartney/songs/maybe-im-amazed/

Promo Film (partial):

25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Kreen Akore

An instrumental song. The primitive sounds are calling the wild. It's a battle for survival. This is an amazing combination of sounds.

Credits:

Drums, Bow and Arrow, Bass, Guitar, Piano, Organ, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Linda McCartney
    Recorded at Morgan Studios.
    Length: 4:15 minutes

Paul's comments:

"There was a film on TV about the Kreen Akrore Indians living in the Brazilian jungle, their lives and how the white man is trying to change their way of life to his, so the next day after lunch I did some drumming. The idea behind it was to get the feeling of their hunt. So later piano, guitar and organ were added to the first section. The second had a few tracks of voices (Linda and I) and the end had overdubbed breathing, going into organ and two lead guitars in harmony. Done at Morgan. Engineer, Robin Black.

The end of the first section has Linda and I doing animal noises (speeded up) and an arrow sound (done live with bow and arrow – the bow broke), then animals stampeding across a guitar case. There are two drum tracks. We built a fire in the studio but didn’t use it (but used the sound of the twigs breaking)."

Source: https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/paul-mccartney/songs/kreen-akrore/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.