25 Worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees: Cleveland.com article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

Figured, with nominating season at hand, that this would make for some good argument fodder around here. Each entry also suggests who the writer thought would've been a better inductee, which includes a lot of the names that get bandied around here often. Anyway, have at it:

25 worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees ever

C6H12O6, Efus, Disco Robot and 5 others like this.
  2. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

I don't like the RARHOF much..................at all.

I don't have an issue with most of the inductees on that list in comparison to the suggested replacements. The suggestion is that the alternative choices are more critically appreciated as opposed to the more commercially successful actual inductees.

mschrist, Lookit, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Better option than Jeff Beck, but no issues with The Yardbirds being inducted. OK...

4. mark_j

mark_j Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with the opinion that Journey does not belong in the Hall, but to imply that "Don't Stop Believing" is the extent of their useful output is ridiculous. I think the writer started listening to Journey with the Escape album.

That's like saying that "Mr. Roboto" is the only worthwhile song Styx ever recorded. Baloney.

5. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I see absolutely no point in insulting artists who have already been inducted (many of whom mean a great deal to people all over the country/world). Let's focus on getting more faces in, not tearing down those who have already made it.

6. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I cannot take the RnR HOF seriously while Badfinger, Zevon and Nilsson are unacknowledged. Back on topic that article was a joke.

7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

The idea of bringing in artists before another on this list is kind of ass

Also here's my opinion for Joan Jett - replace with Patti Smith Group, while the ideals were different, Patii sort of is the icon of female rock artist, maybe not "star".

Oh also, replace Journey with... Duran Duran? Okay, but replace Duran Duran with Japan after that :)

8. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

This article just comes across as a provocative clickbait article.

Purple, Comet01, Joe N and 37 others like this.
  9. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Exactly. Styx never recorded ANY worthwhile songs! ;)

10. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I do agree Joan Jett has no business being in the hall but the runaways do not either. Most of her hits are covers

11. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

My brain is wired differently than the jury. I don't see a rock 'n' roll hall of fame without King Crimson and Gong, even if they were never high in the charts. They are still music history.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought it was pretty well-reasoned, honestly... :shrug:

13. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I thought it was full of trendy 'more cult acceptable aren't I so cool' rubbish

I'm not saying the acts preferred in the article were rubbish - just the 'attitude' of the writer and a lot of 'smart ass' glib and unfair self opinionated dismissal of artists with far more talent than any music press writer..

why not replace that article writer....with a better writer

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Especially when most of the acts in that article are excellent and the writer feels the need to disrespect them and parade his lack of knowledge of them for to see.

I'll agree on Bon Jovi though.

15. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I stopped reading after they said Darlene Love. What a joke.

16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Yeah, this article is ridiculous.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Of course it was a load of hipster bollocks! ELO not deserved? Percy Sledge and Journey reduced to one song? I can't stand Journey and hate that kind of rock that doesn't rock, but can see that's nonsense. The magnificent Lovin' Spoonful not deserved? The miserable bastard obviously doesn't believe in magic!

tages, freddog, Retropsych and 29 others like this.
  18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I agree with each and every one of the 25 not belonging, with the exception of Jeff Beck.

If there is not a tier of success that still isn't enough to be considered HOF-worthy, then there is no point in having it. The HOF should only be for the select upper crust. I'm a fan of many of the 24 that I think don't belong, but I can still be objective.

mschrist likes this.
  19. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I was going to click on the link, but life's too short. Why start the day on a negative note?

20. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Jeff Beck should be kicked out....

so you will be as miffed as others by the article !

bzfgt likes this.
  21. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

This article is annoying.
    Small faces/faces
    Donovan
    Moody Blues
    And many others on the list totally deserve to be in.
    The Rock n Roll Hall is a joke but this article is so trying to be cool.
    Now that we are discussing it where the hell is:
    T. Rex
    Motörhead
    New York Dolls

22. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I thought this article was click-bait until I saw "Iron Maiden over Bon Jovi". Then I started agreeing with everything they suggested.

23. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Joan Jett is in? I haven't followed the inductees that closely but boy is this really lame when seeing a list of who's not in.

24. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

UGH, I made it to #11 before I called BS. Most on that list deserve to be there FAR more than some of the previous and current inductees. R&RHOF is a joke. They have little integrity, they're disingenuous and have no real focus other than focusing on themselves.

They might as well rename it to the Pop Music HoF. :rant:

Purple, NJ Englishman, MielR and 6 others like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Rock Hall has tended to set a lower bar for the induction of female artists because there simply are fewer viable candidates.

They don't want it to be nothing more than a sausage fest, so they induct some who probably shouldn't be there.

Honestly, they'd have gotten less criticism if they'd gone Runaways instead of Joan solo...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.