The Joker - Best Portrayal in a LIVE Movie (Poll)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by daca, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

one of the dozen jack quotes from that movie that lived for years after that movie.
    he's at home washing his tights
    this town needs an enema
    ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight
    where does he get all those wonderful toys
    never rub another man rhubarb

that's just the start

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So considerate of you. Thx.

cwitt1980 and Hall Cat like this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I somewhat agree with this. I won't put it all on his passing. There's also the fact that the Nolan Batman movies are the best Batman movies, so he gets a boost by virtue of that.

Jared Leto on the other hand appeared in a completely s**t movie. His performance was brief and it wasn't very interesting, but the fact that it was in a crappy movie accounts accounts for some of his hate.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    daca and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

you ok bro

5. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

:rolleyes:

6. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Phoenix doesn't play the Joker how people know/view the Joker so he may be at a disadvantage. Plus the film he is in has only just been released. However....In my opinion Phoenix gets tops marks from an outstanding acting point of view. He really moved me and made my eyes well up. POWERFUL.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Jack , brought the character out to play.. and then came mark hamill.:D
    I tease my friends on there phone messages. I can do my own joker it scares them at times.:D:D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Ledger overall is the best for me at least in regards to live-action. Though Jack has his moments in Batman'89

daca and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

“Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push...”
    “LOOK AT ME!”
    “Here’s a magic trick [...] Ta-da! It’s gone!”

daca likes this.
  10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

No one likes his band. Well, except for these people:

[​IMG]

11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Joaquin Phoenix

I just saw it, and I loved it. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing, the oscar is a done deal. :)

Joaquin did it all with his acting, no special effects, neat cars, or any of that stuff.
    What an actor.

12. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Just saw Joker tonight. I still think Ledger sets the standard, but Phoenix’ portrayal of a hopeless loser nobody’s transformation into a delusional psychopathic murderer was absolutely mesmerizing. I need a bit more time to process what I just watched before I’m ready to give him the nod over Heath though.

Matthew Tate and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. Nicholson is the furthest from the comic, unless we're talking circa 1955.

In fact, Nicholson's performance was just Jack Nicholson with clown makeup on. Since when was there a slightly chubby Joker? Oh, it was fun, and cool, but I never felt I was seeing the Joker. It was Jack all the way.

At least Romero fit the times, as a mid-'60s Joker. Jack just had good writers. I don't think it was a stretch for him.

Ledger was the one who took the modern comic book maniac to the silver screen.

The others are just okay.

eric777 and Greg Gee like this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I know I said these shouldn't really be compared, but after seeing The Joker last night, I'm almost tempted to change my vote to Phoenix. But I'm sticking with Jack for the reason that he was actually portraying Joker in a Batman movie. But Phoenix was fantastic in this role.

Matthew Tate and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

The one disadvantage Joaquin has here is that he doesn't get to play off of an actual Batman. That's also why his take is so different.

16. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Ledger, no question. One of the all-time great performances IMHO.

Nicholson was good, but he was just playing Jack Nicholson. Ledger is unrecognizable in the role, and had a much more challenging assignment IMHO, because unlike the Burton film, Ledger had to play the Joker in a version of Batman that lacked the humorous, camp element that makes it easier for whomever is playing the Joker character.

daca, Zoot Marimba, SRC and 1 other person like this.
  17. Chrome_Head

‘Joker’ film reportedly "upset" ‘Suicide Squad’ star Jared Leto

Exactly--the Joker in The Dark Knight was a bold new take, one that many thought might be terrible before it came out. He was a bit of an urban, guerilla terrorist. Ledger and Nolan pulled it off masterfully--the rendition is the gold standard of comic book movie villains still to this day, IMO. Ledger is electric in just about every scene he's in.

eric777, daca, Zoot Marimba and 2 others like this.
  18. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I'd like to know how many voters in this poll have seen Joker. I doubt he'd knock Ledger out of the top spot, but he may for some of the folks individually that have voted for Jack or Cesar (or Leto).

I'm curious to know who voted for Leto, tbh. The guy was largely cut out of Suicide Squad, and Harley Quinn became the focal point (since she was the best thing that movie had going for itself.) My assumption is that Leto was so bad that they had to heavily edit the movie in post-production as a result. But again, I would like to hear the rationale.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Larry Mc likes this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

The whole Suicide Squad movie was pretty bad, so if his parts were cut then it’s likely because they were downright awful. Correct on HQ, which speaks to Robbie’s talent and charisma, which Leto doesn’t have.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

To each their own, I thought Leto's Joker was beyond cringe-worthy, but Robbie's performance nearly sent my wife and I out of the theater, we both thought it was so offensively terrible.

Suicide Squad was the worst movie I've seen in the cinema, possibly ever. And I like comic book movies. I've never been a big Will Smith fan, but I thanked God he was in that film, because he was the only one mildly enjoyable to watch in it.

21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

"Wanna know how I got these scars?"
    "Why so serious?"
    "Very poor choice of words!"

I don't feel his performance is overrated by any measure.

Chrome_Head and SRC like this.
  22. Bobby Buckshot

Oh, I'm just saying it was the best thing about an awful movie, but it wasn't earth shattering by any means. Her character wasn't my cup o tea either but she resonated with a lot of folks which is why I'm guessing she got her own feature now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

I wonder how much of Leto's Joker was cut because they wanted to push the Harley Quinn story instead of Joker.

Really, that whole Suicide Squad film is a choppy mess. Robbie's Harley was the only thing that saved it for me.

Margot Robbie is incredible and gorgeous. I also think she's the perfect Harley Quinn and I'm looking forward to her movie.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Fair enough. I think I found myself cynically questioning if she really did resonate or if the hype around the movie and the character (and perhaps Robbie herself) has been so strong, that impressionable people are easily swept up in that. But I don't know that.

And we are digressing, but I think her new film looks equally terrible, and I think it will be a poorly reviewed sequel to a poorly reviewed film. They would need a massive amount of hype to keep the train going after that.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Pretty much agree with you there.

SRC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.