Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Yep I understand the licensing issues. It’s a real shame as I believe certain titles would sell very well.

2. Mok

Mok Has Potential

Probably not a mistake. I put in a preorder for Monk's Dream at Music Direct when preorders were available. Still hasn't shipped. If it's one thing MD is not great at is keeping customers updated on orders. I had an order in for the Bernard Herrmann Marnie vinyl issue and no update from MD on it between when I preordered it (March 13, six weeks before release date) and when it finally shipped (August 13, many weeks after release date). MD always ships well, and stocks great stuff - this is the one area I wish they were more transparent.

3. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Mr. Tullman ! Do you recall which of our members was praising the Neil Youngs greatest hits 180gr vinyl release from a few years back as in the same league as the mofi one-steps? I believe the member made the comment in the early days of this thread. It wasnt you was it?

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

@AnalogJ informed me about the Neil Young Greatests hits. I think I remember it being mentioned in the notes on the cover that it is was cut using the one step. It's a real good sounding compilation. It's AAA except where the original recording was digital.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I don't believe it's on the cover notes, Jim, but it has its own section on Neil Young's own website, where it talks about the production of the album and the One Step process. Most of the album is as stunning sounding as anything you'll hear.

I tried finding the page which explains the production of the album and it seems to have been taken down, although it may now be part of an app.

6. ddgi

ddgi Forum Resident

I may be wrong, but I think the version that you are asking about may this one:
    Neil Young - Greatest Hits

7. honestabe316

After the member mentioned it i made a mental note to get it... i did last year at best buy actually. Its the 2 180 gram and a 7" single... has the reprise label but i believe the classic records ones were 200 gram... i didnt realize there were different re releases of this now i wonder if i got the one that the member mentioned. It does sound outstanding... ill have to check now when i get home. The reason i asked was that another thread dedicated to this lp sent me a message today as someone else commented on it and djd not care for the mastering.... i noticed on discogs one says mastered by * CB and the classic records one is by Bernie G. Now im all confused

8. AnalogJ

snorker likes this.
  9. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

I'd like to hear R.E.M.'s New Adventures In Hi-Fi on UDOS. I think it is a sonic wonderland with great potential.

I'd also throw something from Blue Rodeo's catalogue into the ring BUT... ;)

James Bennett likes this.
  10. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I would buy a Blue Rodeo’s Lost Together on UD1S on day one.

DavidD likes this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

We might get lucky and see a REM one step as I know Mofi has done them before ...

12. AnalogJ

Well Automatic For The People is a fantastic sounding album. I'd probably buy that in a One Step.

captouch and musictoad like this.
  13. honestabe316

My neil young says mastered by bernie grundman studios then below it says mastered by *cb which is Chris bellingham i believe. Mine is the 2009 180 gram 2lp with the 7" single... its not the classic records version. Does this mean it wasnt manufactured with the One-step process? It does sound stunning....

14. AnalogJ

It's Chris Bellman, who works for Bernie Grundman. And yes, it's done by the One-Step process. Consider that you got 2 LPs, plus a 7" 2-sided single, all done with the same process. At $50, it's sort of a bargain.

JeffMo and snorker like this.
  15. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

Station To Station. That would be fantastic

PADYBU likes this.
  16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah this. New Adventures doesn't strike me at all as anything special sonically. Automatic, however...

AnalogJ and James Bennett like this.
  17. honestabe316

Its a great deal for sure.. The jacket seems to have been made with quality material as well... when you pick it up you feel like the $49 spent was well worth it... plus the great sound... a no brainer for even the casual Young fan as it covers most of the songs i like.... id almost rather have the mofi one steps in this type jacket

18. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

As good as it sounds, the individual lps that Chris Bellman cut sound even better!

19. honestabe316

I know the name.. as soon as i saw that *CB stood for Chris Bellman i knew he had a good reputation. I cant name of the top of my head any of his trophy masterings... but im gonna check out his catalog for sure....

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you’re a Neil Young fan, the three vinyl boxes are fantastic. The first box is hard to find but the second and third boxes are still available - Bellman and AAA for less than the price of a new MFSL One Step. That’s incredible value .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  21. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I was told that the delay in sending out further Monk One-Steps is due to problems with the cover, whether on the box or individual records I do not know. That is why many have been put on an extended shipment wait. They evidently sent out what they could from the first batch.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  22. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I listened to my Monk last night and, unfortunately, Just a Gigolo (Disk 2, side 1) is very noisy -- lots of pops and clicks in the first minute. I cleaned it twice, but still noisy. Called MD this morning and was told they will ship a replacement as soon as they receive replacement copies -- no need to return the bad disk. The album is otherwise superb.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I didn't any flaws on my copy. Who knows? It could be anything. Usually, the nit pickers on this forum find the little mistakes.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know I had to use my anti static device for this record.

25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Ah this would explain why it hasn't shown up at my local.