Wharfedale Evo 4.2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting 3 way standmount. Anyone heard them? Music Direct lists the sensitivity as 90db but Wharfedale site says 87db. Wondering how easy they are to drive?

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

There is a thread at Audiokarma from a fella who bought them.

3. bajaed

I looked and couldnt find the thread. Got a link?

4. I think someone mentioned owning them here on the Wharfedale Linton 85th thread.

5. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  6. bajaed

Slippers always has the scoop!

Slippers-on likes this.
  7. bajaed

Looked again and it's still not clear. Crutchfield says 87db but the link to the Wharfedale product manual on their site says 88db for the 4.2 and 87db for the 4.1. The Whafedale site says 87db and I can't find a link on their site to the Evo manual. MD still says 90db.

I called Mofi distributing and they are checking. Not a big difference between 87 and 88db but 90 would be.

8. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Slippers-on likes this.
  9. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I heard these briefly at CAF and was really impressed for what it's worth. They drew me in and I would not normally stop and listen to bookshelf speakers.

10. bajaed

What amp was with them?

11. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

What's with the requency response specs!? Some stores list them at (+/-3dB): 48Hz ~ 24kHz some at 54Hz - 24kHz. Very interested in them, but 54Hz seems quite mediocre. I know they're still fresh but has anyone compared Evo 4.2 to Evo 4.3?

12. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Speakers aren't toasters - go listen to them with your music and expected volume and see if you like them.87dB speakers can be easier to actually drive than 90dB speakers - there is more to it than a sensitivity specification.

Out of the two Music Direct will be less reliable - Wharfedale states the speaker is 87dB

However Wharfedale states that the speaker's min impedance (nice of them to provide it) is 4ohms and they state that recommended amplifier power falls between 25watts to 120watts Maximum SPL is 105dB

1 watt = 87dB
    2w = 90dB
    4w = 93dB
    8w = 96db (VERY loud)
    16w= 99dB
    32w = 101db
    64w = 104dB. Most amplifiers can go above spec so basically the maximum SPL - sits around here.
    80ish w = 105dB Maximum SPL
    128w = 107dB

If in a smaller room 8 watts would be fine - in a larger average living room - 50 watts would be more than you likely need - in a large room you would want a larger loudspeaker anyway. If you download an SPL meter to your smart phone (they are free) play your music and sitting in your chair see how loud it is - these are ballpark levels - but you might be surprised that much of the time you will be listening in the low 70s in terms of SPL. People get tricked because of the volume knob on amplifiers - they turn it up thinking that because the volume knob is at 10 0'clock they are using around 40 watts of their 100 watt amplifier - when in reality they may still be less than 1 watt and maybe 3-4 watts in dynamic peaks.

This is a really nice affordable series of speakers from Wharfedale. In general whatever the minimum watt recommendation is - follow it - but if you plan to use tubes you can take that figure and divide by two - tube amplifiers tend to present the "perceived equivalent" of 3 times Solid State power (due to the way tube amplifiers distort). So ten watts from a good tube amplifier will be perceived as a 30 watt amplifier from a SS amplifier. Not always - gotta try it.

13. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

But would make more sense if the 90dB sensitivity is accurate. That's the trade-off.

Meehael likes this.
  14. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

15. JJerm80

JJerm80 Forum Resident

I've gotten very curious about the Evo 4.4 based on all the write ups from the recent shows. Curious if my Marantz 2245 will drive them well. Also curious if the price will come down in the states. Almost a 5o0 dollar difference between US and England on these.

16. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I'm in a similar dilemma. I'm looking at the 4.2's and would be driving them with my Marantz 2275. I'll follow your results with interest so keep us updated.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some prefer them to the Linton's. Several positive reviews on YouTube with the reviewers actually buying a pair for one of their systems (Tharbamar + Pursuit Perfect System). I have the 4.4 floor standers that use the same drivers and they are great speakers for the price. Probably competitive with models at double the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.