The Beatles' "Rubber Soul" - Putting together the proper tracklist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

You can put together a tracklist called "Beatles '65" where you put all of the finished masters recorded in '65 in order according to the date the master recording was completed. It's an interesting easy of listening to their output from that year.

2. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I'd rather have no songs from a guy who can't sing his way out of a paper bag ... oh, wait. That's exactly what the American album gives us, doesn't it?

3. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I like the American tracklisting the way it is and I grew up with the original CDs.

It's the mood you want to evoke, and I like the folk vibe flowing through it.
    Plus the leftovers make Yesterday... and Today a unique and enjoyable listen.

4. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Shouldn’t the real question ask
    What is your perfect tracklisting for
    Yesterday And Today ??

5. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

I like this idea, as it preserves the UK songs in order yet adds WCWIO and Day Tripper, though I would also propose this as an alternative list:

1. Drive My Car
    2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    3. You Won't See Me
    4. Nowhere Man
    5. Think For Yourself
    6. The Word
    7. Michelle
    8. We Can Work It Out
    9. Girl
    10.What Goes On
    11. I'm Looking Through You
    12. In My Life
    13. Wait
    14. If I Needed Someone
    15. Day Tripper
    16. Run For Your Life

Fred68 likes this.
  6. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

I just shove 'em right in the middle, this way it keeps the sides' original running order.

maui jim and bluerondo like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Listening to Rubber Soul now, What Goes On is playing.

I stand by liking it!

8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I'd also say the most people under the age of 50 in America prefer the original tracklist for Rubber Soul

9. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

The UK album is just perfect the way it is.

A well respected man likes this.
  10. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

there are 2 proper track lists actually....................and they already been released

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. Detroit Rock Citizen

Don't get me wrong, I love the American track listing. The fact of the matter is that I Just Seen A Face and It's Only Love and no way equal up to Drive my car and Nowhere Man. It's always been my contention that Capitol made the wrong choice regarding which George Harrison song they removed. Getting rid of What Goes On was the right decision, but did they really have to stick it on Yesterday and Today?

12. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Remove "Wait", as it belongs to the Help sessions, add "We Can Work It Out" to its slot, and put "Day Tripper" in the middle of the two sides as a sort of break

It gives us a nice 40 minute, 15 song album, how about that? :D

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just in case anyone forgot: this is the proper lineup...
    [​IMG]

14. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

The UK tracklist is perfect as-is and shouldn’t be altered. The US version is bastardized!

Neil Anderson, bluerondo and Gila like this.
  15. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Always pitching... Funny guy

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

that's me. ; )

maui jim likes this.
  17. Michael

that's subjective! we didn't know of the UK version back then so we took what we got and loved it...BUT, if you want to look at it from a different perspective as you stated; it's a damn good one! ; )

18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yesterday, I decided to throw We Can Work It Out and Day Tripper at the end of Rubber Soul as if they were bonus tracks. I think it flows rather well, but I do like the idea of In My Life being a more suitable album closer. Think I might try those above ideas out though as far as the UK/US contest goes - UK for me, always! ;)

And additionally, I did something similar with Revolver too. I put Paperback Writer and Rain above Taxman for chronology's sake - and I think it works rather well too. :)

Also, back when the Sgt. Pepper remix came out, I even began with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields before beginning the album, then I finished it with Only a Northern Song, the Yellow Submarine Songtrack version.

Oh, and What Goes On is a fun little number. :)

19. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

^This. Also, if someone listens to it in stereo, the US album is jarring, since the two songs from Help! are mixed with a center, unlike the songs from Rubber Soul.

J Alesait, stevenson66g and maui jim like this.
  20. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

UK track listing, even though I grew up with the US track listing. I'm still fond of the US track listing of this and some other albums, but I normally play the UK versions, as this is how the Beatles intended them to be. I feel the same about albums by other UK groups of that time.

maui jim likes this.
  21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

same. Til I visited my cousins summer of 68 in UK. Came home with a new copy of RS and haven’t looked back
    My jaw must have been on the table when I went to dinner with one of my wife’s friends in the early 90s and she started complaining back the RS cd she just got. It wasn’t the US version she grew up with. Took a few years but I made her a
    CD-R with that song sequence. She looked at me like I was nuts. Never did thank me. Same woman who would argue with me years later about the Stones vs the Beatles:wantsome::hide:

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

The first moment I heard most of the British versions I quickly forget the American versions.

Gila and Michael like this.
  23. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]
    Paul agrees.

lemonade kid, Paul Gase and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

now that's funny...he was counting the US Dollars...; )

25. Michael

and when was that? just curious...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.