Should Badfinger ever get into the Jann Wenner Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm going to have to buy it again.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what happen to your copy? I still have mine...but, I do prefer the studio version best...

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I lost it a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

been there and it sucks...I've even lost a CD in my home! LOL...still can't find it. : )

longdist01 and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

More hits than Richie Valens.

sewerdog, longdist01 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  6. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

You can make a case for them; their hits have certainly had legs; Breaking Bad ended with Baby Blue; Without You gets murdered annually on American Idol; I got into Wish You Were here late and its truly a great album as is Straight Up.

7. Efus

Efus Senior Member

True.
    But Ritchie Valens passed at the age of 17, less than 9 months into his career.
    I think Valens had released 3, maybe 4 singles, and no albums before the plane crash.

Badfinger had done 6 albums by the time Pete Ham committed suicide a few days short of his 28th birthday in 1975.

I think Valens was a bit more influential, at least in America, than Badfinger was.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Generally, I go by Innovation, Influence, Critical Success, and Commercial Success.
    Innovation: Forerunners to what would come to be known as power pop. So there’s that

Influence: Of course, God knows how many times “Without You” has been covered, and they have influenced the likes of Matthew Sweet, Jellyfish, Oasis, The dBs, and The Artful Dodger.

Critical Success: Generally very well regarded critically

Commercial Success: Limited commercial success in their time, but their material has had some legs in later years, both through material being covered as well as the inclusion of “Baby Blue” in the finale of Breaking Bad.

Overall, Badfinger has a case for at least nomination.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

As influential as Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers? I think not :winkgrin:

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Badfinger has definitely made it into my personal hall of fame... one of the great groups. Pete Ham's demos are better quality and of more interest than many groups' full studio recordings!

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I'm glad to have a few of the live concerts that circulated in mid 90's on cassette.

Still love the BBC double vinyl release from StrangeFruit/Apple that was issued.

12. Michael

thanks for posting this!

longdist01 likes this.
  13. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

They'll get around to Badfinger eventually. The years keep rollin' by, and it's not like new rock bands are tumbling out of garages...

Sean, Sidewinder43 and longdist01 like this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

MN , I know exactly what you mean by this. Exactly.

longdist01 and ssmith3046 like this.
  15. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I love them, but if I am honest with myself, I'd say they were more an "influenced" band than an "influential" one. If you like them it's probably because you like the Beatles and they carried the baton after the breakup.

starduster, freddog and AppleCorp3 like this.
  16. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Not the garages, but the corporate offices...
    You figure that in the next few years, stars such as Britney Spears, N’Sync, The Backstreet Boys and Christina Aguilera
    will be eligible for nomination. Maybe the Clearchannel / IHeartMedia exec will be pushing for the pop stars of the turn of the century. Then we can watch the backs of the heads of the followers of this forum exploding throughout the land!
    :—)

longdist01 and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  17. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

As much as I love Badfinger, I think their span of influence and their fan base are too narrow for inclusion.

They had hits but they weren't big enough to have the name recognition that other bands with a handful of hits, also they haven't really had the benefit of a modern artist singing their praises.

18. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I like their albums but HOF. Can’t we just call them a good band! Richard Valens because he was there in the early days and first big Latino rocker to make it. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Los Lobos covered many of his songs before the movie and I think they are a great band.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Here's another cool version of "Day After Day" Live that aired on a tv program in UK back in '72 and all this time it's basically sat in vault until a few years ago.

oboogie and Michael like this.
  20. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Great band. I don't think they'll ever get honored in Cleveland, but they are in my RRHOF, for whatever that is worth. :)

longdist01 likes this.
  21. Michael

wow...thanks!

longdist01 likes this.
  22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

If they never do put them in it's not a huge loss as who's left other than Ron Griffiths, and the guy that replaced him, Joey Molland? Dai Jenkins maybe? They should be in there but how much could it really mean at this point? Pet Ham and Tom Evans should be in a songwriting hall too.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

This article makes an excellent argument for their inclusion.

Why Badfinger Is A No-Brainer For The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

First, Badfinger was responsible (along with Big Star) for creating a popular and enduring genre of Rock & Roll music, power pop, that has itself already produced acts of such renown that they have been recognized for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (namely REM). Any band that is foundational in creating a popular and enduring genre of music is worthy of induction on those grounds alone, apart from any consideration of sales or hit records. On top of this, Badfinger’s music has endured both in its original and in cover versions. “Without You” has been covered by Nilsson and Mariah Carey with hit versions. “Day After Day,” “Come And Get It,” and “No Matter What” all hit the top ten for Badfinger, and “Baby Blue” came close [2]. And that is not even including their beautiful “Maybe Tomorrow” single and album as the Iveys before they were renamed to Badfinger. For a band that saw two albums pulled from shelves over the corrupt business dealings of its manager (Wish You Were Here and Head First), and saw its career momentum harmed by Apple Records releasing an unpolished and unready effort to complete the band’s contract with them (Ass, which nonetheless featured a beautiful and enduring song in “Apple Of My Eye”), the fact that their music has endured despite the incompetence and outright corruption of their management and record labels is remarkable. In addition, Badfinger’s story needs to be remembered for bands to learn from their tragedy and avoid repeating it. A band is like a family, and it has to stay together in order to survive the corruption of the music industry–Badfinger did not have enough asabiya to endure together, and they were eaten alive as a result and driven in despair to self-destruction. A powerful story like that of Badfinger is proof that talent cannot always triumph over adversity in this life in the absence of cooperation and mutual support and encouragement, and that needs to be understood by fans of music and by musicians alike.

24. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I've been a fan of this band since before the CD era, and I'd prefer they NOT get into the Rock Hall.

I'm not going to be told what music is "important" by a bunch of social climbing Yuppies in pony tails who sit around and pass judgement on artists in corporate boardrooms while drinking mineral water and eating bran muffins. If this is some people's idea of rock and roll, so be it, but it's not mine.

Also: Anytime I see the smarmy phrase "the editors of Rolling Stone" attached to a publication featuring any group, I immediately stop listening to that group. So, I hope the Perrier crowd never gets near Badfinger, because then I'd have to sell all my vinyl by them.

25. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Not before Big Star but I wouldn't hold your breath for either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.