Can we get a quick rundown of Oppo players/Universal players.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve found myself in need of an Oppo player or Universal player. To be honest, I never have heard of either until this year.

Primarily for Sacd multichannel, which I need to figure out as well.

Also I’m DAC illiterate. Do I need a standalone DAC for these or are they integrated?

I just want to hit play and hear music from all four+ speakers going into a line aux on my amp.

It looks like Oppo is no longer, so which used ones to look for? Or what current Universal players. Is this another dying category?

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Go shopping and fill in the boxes on your Excel chart for us:

Does it play:
    CD audio
    HDCD
    SACD
    DVD-Audio
    (CD+G karaoke discs with graphics)​

Does it:
    Play SACD burned to DVD media?
    Rip the contents of SACD through hacks?​

Does it:
    Let you watch Blu-Ray video otherwise?
    Even have HDMI (Oppo DV-971 doesn't)​

A standalone DAC is useless with these "high-resolution" formats, unless the audio is encapsulated in encryption over HDMI, because of the copy protection. You use the analog outs, with 6-channel receivers if needing surround-sound. The crippling of possible applications is one reason for the failure of high-resolution, along with the lackluster improvements.

PB Point likes this.
  3. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Oppo BDP83 does all those things. I purchased a used one for US$160 and couldn’t be happier. Sounds nice too.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It would be helpful if you listed what your budget is. Would you be using HDMI or analog for playback of multichannel SACDs?

PB Point likes this.
  5. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Pioneer, Sony r making a few new universal players...they use hdmi not analog however
    Ex sony ubp x800

PB Point likes this.
  6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

The BDP-83, -93, -103, and UDP-203 each have a sibling model with improved stereo sound, for us 2-channel audio fans. So I would only be interested in a -85, -95, -105 or -205. I read that the dual DACS in a -95 were optimized ONLY for best sound, whereas their sound was compromised for the -93, -103, -105, -203 and -205, to improve video performance. That leaves the -95 as perhaps the best sounding Oppo of all time.

I bought a used BDP-95, and a used BDP-105 to compare, and sure enough, the 105 may have a little better video, but the 95 definitely has better audio. So I sold the 105, and now have 95s in two of my listening rooms. They play all formats, and sound fantastic, with their own DACs or with an external DAC.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The ¨5¨ series have a dedicated analog output with superior audio, and cost TWICE the corresponding ¨3¨ models. But the sound on the 3s is far from compromised by the video section, or an afterthought for that matter; it's darn good. Sure there is a difference with very high end gear, but my 103 sounds terrific to me, and does what you're looking for.

8. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

The sound was “compromised?” LOL...

9. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I have two amps that this player will be used for. Not sure where it’s home will be until I hear both and see which I prefer.

1) Yamaha Adventage AV receiver with hdmi inputs or line

2) Sansui QRX 8001 analog only.

Amps and front speakers hooked up to a speaker/amp switch, the rears I ran two sets of speaker wire to and just change the connection going between the two.

Price - to be in line with my current system. I doubt I’ll ever upgrade to tubes, etc. I’m happy here with this combo.

Music - I’m after the quad/multichannel aspect of SACD for classical music, Floyd, etc. I suppose Blue Ray as well, the Yamaha AV is hooked up to a TV, but I’m not familiar with Blue Ray music.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Oppo definitely left a hole in the market for the $500-$600 universal disc player category. Most of the current stuff on the market is more expensive or seems like the quality is iffy.

The closest thing I have seen on the market at similar price point with both analog and HDMI outputs is this unit from Sony.

If you don't need the analog outputs, there is cheaper stuff out there (e.g. $200-300) but the build quality is definitely lacking on the units I examined from several brands. Very flimsy and cheap, and seem to have issues with software/firmware/freezing also. I would hope the Sony linked above is a bit better, but I've never seen or handled one.

I do think the sub-$500 market for this sort of universal disc player might be dying off in terms of quality products...at least from what I've seen. Research anything carefully before buying.

SBurke and PB Point like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

On the other hand, Sony wrote off the SACD, just as it was starting to attract companies that wanted to use it. Perhaps they were grateful for Oppo taking over the award for Marketplace Abandonment Division.

At least Oppo continued putting out firmware updates and tech support. Sony just "forgets" they have customers that sometimes need help once the ink is dry on the receipt.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I luv my 95!!! :love:

FashionBoy, The Pinhead and PB Point like this.
  13. Audiowannabee

I love my oppo 203

14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

OP, here's your player:

Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Player | UBP-X800 with High Resolution Audio

$229

Tim 2, SMc and PB Point like this.
  15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The Sony UBP-X800 will play multi-channel via HDMI out to AVRs DAP. It will play stereo CD and stereo SACD via IEC 958 to AVRs DAP. Since the unit is a transport, containing no DAC, it's inexpensive. I have no experience with it, since I am satisfied with my OPPO 205. At any rate, Sony also makes the UBP-X1100ES 4K UHD Blu-ray Player With HDR for $599.99, which delivers multi-channel in the manner of the X800; but, in addition, it has a DAC to deliver stereo CD and stereo SACD via RCA analog output to an amp. This unit's DAC is said to deliver stereo SACD as well as it can be delivered.

SBurke, Tim 2 and PB Point like this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

80/83 can use software hacks for region restricted titles.
    Later models use hardware.

17. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

If you don't need Blu-ray capability, check out the Oppo DV-980H. Analogue output plus DSD over HDMI.

Bonus: it plays DVD-A-Rs, unlike the Sony UBP-X800, which does not.

Jeff

PB Point likes this.
  18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I bought the '93 even after the 103 was out. This is because I wanted to have the legacy connections that were outlawed as the sunset laws were coming in.

Last year I upgraded to a 203 because Oppo was ceasing production and I wanted a 4k player to match the 4k processor and TV.

Since I have a nice ESS Saber DAC in my now "vintage" Peachtree iNova, I only used either of the Oppo's as a transport for stereo.

But, it has been my understanding that the video of all of the "5" and the "3" models is the same and the differences in the "5" models is the upgraded top of the line Saber DAC and superior analog section.

Tim 2, gakerty, Sterling1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

DV-981HD what's the consensus on this player? anyone have it...

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I respect your opinion on your thoughts on the 95. But I have to disagree with your thoughts that the sound quality of the 105 and 205 was compromised. I owned two 95s before buying a 105D and then the 205. I felt that there was subtle improvement when going from the 95 to the 105D then to the 205. The "audiophile" version of the 83 was the 83SE. There was no Oppo player with the 85 designation.

Linger63, TarnishedEars and Sterling1 like this.
  21. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

When I was buying my second DV-980H I was prepared to buy the DV-981H instead - all dependent on (used) condition and price.

I'd looked into both and concluded that, while the 981 had different video features than the 980, since I was only interested in audio for that player, either would do. Besides, I only ever intended to use it as a transport - connected via HDMI as I already had a bunch of other players with analogue outputs. It turns out that there's a leaning towards the opinion that while the 981 has better video performance, the 980 is better for audio. Hardly a "consensus" and not something that I can personally confirm.

Regardless, I suspect that the 981 is also a very good audio player, and likely available (with patience) at a great price. (Although, the more we talk these players up, the less likely THAT will be! :) )

Jeff

Sterling1, PB Point and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks Jeff...really appreciate it. : )

23. Audiowannabee

I am sooo sad that oppo n audio fidelity r no longer operating...brings tears to my eyes

vegafleet, audiomixer and Sterling1 like this.
  24. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

My introduction to this concept, that the 4 DACs in the 95 are completely devoted to sound, whereas Oppo compromised the sound in later models to upgrade the video, is based on a technical description in an online review I read, and an interview with one of the Oppo engineers. I did not make it up by myself.

With that in my head, I compared the sound, and thought the 95 sounded a little better. I sold the 105, and bought another 95. But I may have been prejudiced by that review. Never-the-less, the 95s are a lot cheaper used, so I am extremely happy with mine, and will not want to "upgrade" to the newer models.

Really, the features of the 83SE, 85, 95, 105, and 205 are different, more than the sound. And, reportedly, the video got better with each newer model. I looked carefully at the features, and 95's are fine with me. Plus I don't care at all about video quality. So the 95 is the perfect model for me.

The most important thing is that everybody seems to very much like their Oppo, no matter which of these models they own.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Wounded Land, FashionBoy and PB Point like this.
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The sound on the 5s is better, which doesn't make the sound on the 3s ¨compromised¨. My 103D sounds ACE !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.