CLERKS III might be in the works! YES!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

His man-child routine was lame years ago, now it's an embarrassment. And has he ever done a review where he doesn't end up crying? I used to like his Comicbook Men TV show but haven't watched it in quite awhile, it bores me.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought "Comicbook Men" was absolutely terrible; a total groaner.

3. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

He had a massive heart attack a few years ago and has since lost 50 pounds under doctors orders.

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

He should do something else for a living.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. I'm one of those who thinks Smith has been on the decline movie-wise since the original Clerks, but I'll see this just to update on what middle-aged Dante and Randall are up to and see where Smith goes with the story. His lectures and podcasts have generally been better than his movies, though.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

At this point in his career, what sane businessman or company would invest money in a Kevin Smith theatrical film project? Is this being produced purposely as a tax loss write-off?

audiomixer likes this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:righton:

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

KS was still good through the original "J&SB". I disliked "Mallrats" - still do! - but liked all of the other 1995-2001 movies, with "Amy" as the best of the bunch.

It's the "Jersey Girl" to date flicks that've been mediocre at best. I liked "Zack" but that's it.

And I've lost interest in anything else he does - the stink of those movies has just turned me off on KS entirely.

I used to want to see a live performance but now I'm disinterested. Maybe he's still funny/entertaining as a storyteller, but he beat me down with so much bad product that I don't care anymore...

9. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

surprised so many people dislike "Clerks 2," it might be my favorite Kevin Smith movie. I loved that the movie really dived into the sadness about 10 years passing and the characters are worse off than they were.

10. Oatsdad

It's just such a hodgepodge. It's like KS wants to be "Serious, Mature Kev" but then he throws out smutty donkey-f--king gags, too.

The whole thing mainly made me sad, as it felt like a creative retreat. KS openly declared these characters were "dead" but at the first sign of commercial failure - "Jersey Girl" - he ran back home.

Even without that, it just feels like a movie made by someone impersonating KS and not the man himself. It's like KS wants to be his creative self of a decade early but has lost the muse and just has the Mewes! :D

GodShifter and Dudley Morris like this.
  11. I like some of his other movies - such as J&SB, and I don't even totally hate Clerks II - but I've long thought he tries to hard to be clever, has a base edge that can be off-putting, and he has a real tin ear for how people really talk, which is ironic for someone known to he a real stickler for his dialogue. It ends up making characters sound pretty samey. Whatever its flaws, I still think Clerks is his best movie and I still like it a lot.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Jason Lee is the best thing about it.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Faint praise.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Hoo boy did this guy disagree:

"Probably most off-putting is Jason Lee's amazingly abrasive and annoying performance as one of our leads, Brodie. Ironically, his appearance on a dating game show toward the end provided some of the film's few laughs, but Lee's loud and shrill presence grated on my with startling rapidity. I guess we're supposed to find his character obnoxious, but I can't imagine we're supposed to dislike him, at least not intensely. "

Mallrats: 10th Anniversary Edition (1995)

15. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Oh well. This is the only thing I have liked him in as well.

16. Oatsdad

I liked Lee in later projects - heck, 2 years later in "Chasing Amy", he was much more effective.

But "Mallrats" was his first real role as an actor, and that inexperience shows. He matured quickly and was much more effective in "Amy":

" As Holden's best friend, Jason Lee is a minor revelation. I absolutely loathed his crude and abrasive work in Mallrats, and though Banky is still a fairly obnoxious guy, Lee greatly tones down the personality and actually comes through as a believable, realistic person. Since I thought his acting in Mallrats was one of the worst parts about it, I was quite surprised to see how much I liked his work here; he makes the role convincing and sympathetic. "

Chasing Amy [Blu-Ray] (1997)

17. George P

George P Notable Member

I thought Lee did well in Vanilla Sky.

And he was superb in My Name Is Earl.

Michael and trumpet sounds like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Yeah, he was good later in this career. I just hated him in "Mallrats"!

19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yeah, but it would be like looking at a thin John Candy or Oliver Hardy.

It's is one of those things that would take some getting used to.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

saw the other 2 and I'll see this...should be cool.

21. Oatsdad

That's what I said. We're used to Fat Kev so we need some time to grow accustomed to Thin Kev.

It's the claims that he looks objectively bad as a thin guy that I think are wrong...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

so did I...I really like him...there isn't anything yet that I do not like...all around good actor.

George P likes this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Jason Lee was great in 'Dogma', which is not only my Favorite Kevin Smith Movie, but my #1 Favorite Comedy Movie.

Jason was a Skater and pretty sure Professionally for a few years, as recall him doing Skate Tours in Japan and other Countries-IIRC. Having been a Skater myself and still ride a 38" Sector 9 Board once in awhile until derailed with bad result of a Herniated Disc Surgery, I liked Jason just knowing he was also a Skater. 'My Name is Earl' was one of my Favorite TV Comedies and seemed to end too soon, but guess ratings went bad during the last Season for some reason, as it was still funny-IMO.

George P, vince and Instant Dharma like this.
  24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

After Clerks, Dogma is easily my favorite of Smiths movies. Jason was great as Asreal. In the early films he tried to act. At some point he found his voice. Earl was really great. Great cast, great concept and writing.

25. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

My current running order his films written and directed:

Clerks
    J&SB Strike Back
    Dogma
    Clerks II
    Chasing Amy
    Mallrats
    Red State
    Zack & Miri
    Jersey Girl
    Yoga Hosers
    Tusk

based on trailer alone, I think "Reboot" should fall right under C2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.