Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning in surround. A great surround mix. Highly recommended.
    [​IMG]

ubertrout, layman, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Quite a few Martinu symphony cycles out there. I have a couple, but not the Capriccio set.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

5. DeepFloyd11

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My CD twofer may be the digital evil twin ... :evil:

[​IMG]

BTW, did you get some early snow a few days ago?

7. Rose River Bear

I was curious how you rank this among the many other performances of the concertos.
    I have to say that he is amazing to watch, however, I saw a performance of his on BP Concert Hall and his performance of a Prokofiev sonata was almost unrecognizable to me. Very exciting to watch but, his stylings seem over the top to the detriment of the structure of some works.
    I will watch any of his performances for his showmanship but I was unsure whether to buy any of his recordings.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Another pianist I have never heard of. You folks @coopmv @DeepFloyd11 have collections that are a lot deeper than I thought.

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Yes, I got both & posted them here recently. We've been on a trip to Alabama since last Friday & I have found no CD or LP bargains with the exception of two jazz CDs.

10. coopmv

I also have a Chopin trio by her ...

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Tabakova: Cello Concerto
    Kristīne Blaumane, cello
    Maxim Rysanov, conductor
    Lithuanian Chamber Orchestra

[​IMG]

I’ve probably listened to this work at least 50 times now since I’ve received this recording of Tabakova’s music. Some of the most breathtaking music I’ve heard from a younger composer. The slow movement, Longing is especially moving.

12. coopmv

Amazing performance by a 91 year old pianist, straight from memory ...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Guiomar Novaes is almost forgotten today, but she recorded many albums for Vox back in the '50s and '60s. I didn't start buying classical LPs seriously until 1970, but at that time I encountered many of her Chopin albums in the bins-- mostly on Vox, but also on their budget labels, Turnabout and Yorkshire. She recorded quite a lot of Beethoven, too, but I wouldn't be surprised if she recorded all of Chopin's solo piano works.

14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the turntable--listening to Mendelssohn's Symphony No.4 and No.5 tonight. Berlin Philharmonic / Lorin Maazel.
    Recorded April 1960 and January 1961 at Jesus-Christus-Kirche, Berlin, Germany.

[​IMG]

15. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

Turnabout! When I started my career in retail phonograph records in 1970, we sold those for $1.99...and we stocked the entire catalog and displayed them in numerical order in the bins...as we did with Nonesuch, Vox Boxes, Candide, Vanguard Everyman, etc!!!! Those were the days!

16. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

Daniil Trifonov is out today! Now streaming on Spotify.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

Dan C, vanhooserd, HowardLive and 5 others like this.
  18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Streaming: Beethoven, piano concertos 3,4. Mitsuko Uchida, piano. Royal Concertgebouw conducted by Kurt Sanderling. Philips recording.

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  19. DeepFloyd11

Yeah...twice already since we came back from Europe.....:shake:

Makes me miss this...

Cordoba

[​IMG]

Granada

[​IMG]

Antequera

[​IMG]

20. DeepFloyd11

In some regards he is like the Pogorelic of a new generation ....

Rose River Bear likes this.
  21. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I didn’t think much of Meister's Martinů. I wrote a review of it on Amazon:

Bohuslav Martinů’s symphonies have been quite well-served on disc. As of right now, we have complete cycles from Järvi (on BIS), Bělohlávek (on Onyx), Thomson (on Chandos), Neumann (on Supraphon), Valek (on Supraphon), and now this newcomer Meister (on Capriccio). I’ve heard, and own, all of these cycles and have done many comparisons with Meister. Let me get to the positives first, I will say Meister demonstrates full command of his orchestra in these recording (the ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra). They play incredibly well for him and I’ve heard this orchestra on some other recordings (I forget which ones at the moment) and they performed well on those, too. Meister seems to have a good understanding of Martinů’s idiom. Also, the audio quality is absolutely crystal clear with great instrument separation. So those are the positives, now for the negatives: even though Meister does understand this composer’s idiom, he does not shape the music as well as Järvi or Neumann. The musical argument seems to be nonexistent and it feels as though Meister doesn’t know how to hit those climaxes. The always strong rhythmic undercurrents in these symphonies also seems to present a problem for the conductor. Like, for example, in “Symphony No. 2” the first movement’s introduction is absolutely lifeless and the development sections are simply lacking that spark that Järvi and Neumann have in spades. These performances simply need more electricity. In this regard, I’d say Meister is closer to Valek’s cycle, which is a cycle I didn’t particularly care for.

I welcome any conductor willing to perform Martinů’s music and I’m always excited to see a new release such as this one from Meister, but, unfortunately, I didn’t find these performances compelling in any way. They sound like run-throughs without much thought about the music itself. I’ll stick with Järvi and Neumann as they, in their own individual ways, capture the moods and colors of this absolutely enthralling symphonic cycle.

Marzz, HenryFly and royzak2000 like this.
  22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

23. coopmv

Nice pics! IIRC, there is a city Cordoba in Argentina as well ...

I have started to think about the following scene

[​IMG]

cdgenarian and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

Not happy news for me as Presto Classical just emailed to inform me that Berlioz Odyssey box on LSO Live has been deleted from the catalog ... :(

25. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

That is bad news, I'm nearly at disappointed as you. I wanted you posting Berlioz every day.

bluemooze likes this.