The Joker - Best Portrayal in a LIVE Movie (Poll)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by daca, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I felt the same. I wouldn't say she was amazing by any stretch, but in a relative sense, she was (IMO) a tiny speck of light in what was an otherwise disorganized mess of a movie largely bereft of positive qualities.

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Was Suicide Squad that hyped? It didn't seem to generate the kind of excitement or positive word of mouth that the Marvel films do.

Bringing it back around to Joker, like that movie Suicide Squad WAS much better received by audiences than critics (as shown in the metacritic scoring).

I'm not sure how much hype DC needs to keep Harley going. Joker, Harley, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are arguably about the only big comic movie franchises they have that anyone cares about right now. Especially since they somehow screwed the pooch with Batman, Superman and Justice League.

3. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

It had little to no positive word of mouth once people began actually seeing the film, but yes I think there was a lot of generated marketing hype around it, a lot of talk beforehand of Leto's method style "performance", and the whole kind of Hot Topic "edgy" approach of the film. Their villains! But they're cool! Fun! I have found many people get swayed by that kind of thing, that's how marketing is after all meant to work. Though, what goes around...

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/suicide-squad-review-harley-quinn/

REVIEW: 'Suicide Squad' doesn't live up to the hype

'Suicide Squad' fails to live up to the hype

‘Suicide Squad’ fails to live up to hype

I don't see much comparison. Rotten Tomatoes has Suicide Squad at 27/59 (critics/audience ratings out of 100), while Joker is at 69/90. There's clearly a perceived distinction in quality between the two films.

Agreed on the latter, but if all they've got is Harley, WW, and Aquaman, then for my tastes all they've got is Wonder Woman, which is pretty sad considering the slate of DC characters available. I don't count Joker since it seems to exist on a different plane than past comic book films.

I don't understand the appeal of Robbie as Harley Quinn, and can go on about that, but as this is a Joker thread, I'm happy to leave it, it could just be me, and maybe I'll change my mind one day anyway.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

have to go with Heath...

daca likes this.
  6. Chrome_Head

What don't you like about Margot as Harley? Or do you just don't like the character anyway?

7. Michael

Jack just had the best smile for the Joker...hands down.

Chrome_Head and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Michael

yea, he was great, but are we talking TV or Movies or TV & Movies?

9. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

He was in the 1966 movie

Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

it was a general statement about the poll. I don't need a lesson in The Joker's placement...thank you very much.; ) LOL.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Suicide Squad was such a $hit-show, that Harley Quinn as eye-candy was the only redeeming factor. Never mind that having Harley as part of a strike team to fight aliens makes absolutely no sense. And I don't think her portrayal was anything special. She just looked good, and that was all the movie had going for it.

Matthew Tate and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

The whole movie was recut. Not only Leto's scenes. After the success of the trailers for the movie, the studio brought in the team that made them and had them recut the movie.

There used to be a great video on the "Every Painting A Scene" channel on YouTube that broke down everything wrong with SS. The editing, composition, everything. It was like 25-30 minutes long. So, there was a lot to cover. It seems Warner had it taken down. I was going to post it and was gone from their channel.

I haven't seen Phoenix's performance yet. So, I will refrain from voting in the poll for now.

I will be another one to add Cameron Monaghan did a good job on "Gotham."

The first reveal when he did the "Joker" smile was great. His portrayal did sort of go off the ledge as time went on.

As for movie "Joker," I got Jack and Heath tied. They both had different takes and were respectable in their portrayals. Heath may have the edge for being a little more menacing.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Romero as the first Joker I saw as a kid. But, he ain't scary as he was back then.

Matthew Tate and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

WAS he scary to a kid back then? I have no idea, but I wouldn't have thought so. I've been watching the Batman TV series (through the first two seasons) and while I think Cesar Romero (other than ridiculously keeping his stache) did a great job on the show, it doesn't seem like anything in that series would have ever come across as actually menacing or scary, even to a kid.

Wayne Hubbard and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I really really really wish Mark Hamill played him at least once in live action. The trickster from Flash basically was his Joker though.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. frozen-beach

Joker size has been inconsistent in the comics. In the early days, he had really broad shoulders, and in some images, he did look chubby. He wasn't always tall and lanky.

Bobby Buckshot and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

You wouldn't be scared if you saw this guy at the beach. :D

[​IMG]

17. Chrome_Head

Was just reading something, maybe it was on Reddit, where Hammil refused to be filmed doing his Joker voice from B:TAS and wanted to keep it strictly as a voiceover. The story goes he even made his daughter look away when she asked him to talk to her in his Joker voice.

Hammil was certainly phenomenal in the role, just as much as Kevin Conroy was in the series as the voice of Bruce/Batman. I still believe it’s the greatest cartoon series of all time.

The Panda and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. frozen-beach

Wonder what Rocksteady did to get him to allow them to record his performance for this promo for one of the Arkham games, if that's the case. Maybe he just doesn't mind anymore?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I can't see The Joker without seeing Cesar Romero in my minds eye. It's a generational thing.

Wayne Hubbard and boboquisp like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I watched the "Batman" TV show as a very little kid and don't recall ever thinking there was anything remotely frightening about it.

The characters are all played for comedy, not menace. It's silly through and through!

21. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I agree that he was scary

22. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Hail Cesar! :tiphat:

Wayne Hubbard and Hall Cat like this.
  23. Chrome_Head

The NY Times weighs in:

The Jokers, Ranked

Not sure why crap like "Lego Batman" or "Gotham" is even considered.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I watched "The Dark Knight" last night just to remember some of Ledger's performance and I have to say it's really, really good. Overall, I don't like the movie that much, but Ledger as "The Joker" is absolutely great. His facial tics, his mannerisms, just perfect. A fantastic performance; he deserved the Oscar for that role.

Bobby Buckshot and Chrome_Head like this.
  25. Michael

Heath is on Top!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.