Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

My first viewing was in a Dolby Cinema, last Thursday. And I must say I was rather impressed but still overall disappointed that they go through all the trouble to give you this "experience" in a Dolby certified theater and don't matte the screen.

One of the local arthouses has it in 70MM and I'm thinking I'll take in another viewing and I'll likely do it there. It's my favorite place to see movies anyway. Just feels like they care more about the presentation, overall.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So how old do you think you were when you saw your first "R"?

3. Oatsdad

I'd actually like a longer version! I feel like there are missing scenes that would make some matters clearer - though it's possible the filmmakers don't want it to be clearer!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Ha - that reminds me to 2 friends' reactions to the 1989 "Batman".

I asked one friend and he hated it because it was "like a nightmare".

I told that to another friend - who knows Friend A - and he said it wasn't nightmarish enough! :D

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Everything sound better in “doubly”.

moops likes this.
  6. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

It's not.

7. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I disagree. The last scene for me was the most brutal in the whole movie. Notice his bloody shoeprints, not footprints. Notice his nonchalant walking, then the funny chase scene between him and the attendant. His joke was that he was going to kick her in and stomp her brains out. She reminded him of the prior social worker that he eventually found dismissive of his life. I was laughing at the silly chasing until I realized what had happened and the movie had made me laugh at it. She wouldn't get the joke of what he was going to do to her, and th elast scene was a joke on the viewer freaking brilliant.

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Exactly!

9. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

God, I can barely remember. Maybe some the early Nightmare On Elm Street stuff when I was 8 or 9? I was a big fan of all things Freddy at a young age. :laugh:

Mark Maron mentioned that he had filmed a scene with just him and DeNiro, but the decision was made to have Phoenix's Arthur Fleck appear in every scene, so it was cut. I too would love to see a longer cut of the film at some point.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just saw it!

OMFG!!!

Chrome_Head and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  12. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Yeah.....That was pretty much my reaction.

Chrome_Head and Scope J like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Was Arthur in the scene where Bruce's parents get killed? I don't remember that, but I wasn't focused on the "Arthur's POV" thing.

And no, that's not a spoiler! Everyone knows Thomas and Martha die, dammit! :laugh:

14. Chrome_Head

Seems like Fleck was looking on in the scene in the alley after he’s dragged out of the crashed cop car. He seemed to know what happened to the Waynes as he flashed back to it in the final scene, did he not?

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't see him in the scene, no.

Oatsdad likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Maybe - I honestly don't recall. I had the impression that scene took place sans Arthur but I'm not going to the mat on that claim!

17. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Wayne's parents were killed by one of the clown masked marauders/protesters. Fleck was being dragged out of the police car after a t-bone collision by another clown masked protester. Fleck was no where near the Wayne family murder scene. I think it has more impact than the Jack Nicholson Joker version in that it suggests Fleck inspired others to do what he might have done if given the opportunity.

The Jack Nicholson version portrays Fleck as just another street hardened criminal committing a robbery/murder.

18. Chrome_Head

Jack played a mobster named Jack Napier who seemed to quite randomly stick up and kill the Waynes in Burton’s movie. In the comics, it was a completely random thug named Joe Chill, who never went on to be anything else and was killed off soon after. Nolan got this mostly right in Batman Begins, except I think he twisted it so the murder of the Waynes by Joe Chill was not a random incident but was planned out by the villain of the movie, Ra’s Al Ghoul played by Liam Nissan.

So the movies can’t let it be a completely random event, it has to be tied to the movie villains somehow to enhance the film story.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  19. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Wasn't aware of all the different names of the Joker villain throughout the Batman movie versions featuring that character. But then I don't see the Fleck version as a Joker origination story anyway.

20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

They ripped off Taxi Driver & King Of Comedy - in a good way.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I wondered if DeNiro was cast as an homage to his roles that were inspiration for this film. He did a fine job, but he just seems an odd choice for a late night talk show host.

bherbert likes this.
  22. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

He did. The Joker which i loved last night at the cinema, paid homage to both Taxi Driver and the King of Comedy, specially this last one. Scorcese is in the house, even if he don't like superhero movies. Joaquin Phoenix will win the oscar no doubt about it. One hell of a performance.

Chrome_Head, serj, It's Felix and 2 others like this.
  23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

It is good but at the same time what a morbid depressing movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, I can't see him as a nationally beloved figure. Networks have long preferred their talk show hosts and newscasters to be Midwestern, and definitely not sounding like they came from a borough of NYC.

mmars982 likes this.
  25. Nope. He wasn't in the scene or looking at it. The way it's cut it just looks like it happens parallel to what happens to Arthur.

cwd likes this.