Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

New Carl Perkins LP is here, came with a bonus CD of the tracks too and a really nice booklet.

[​IMG]

Notification that the Fats set on route arrived today, yay!

2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Oh yeah, I ordered the above direct from Bear, and the Fats set, so the LP was in a cardboard sleeve and then cardboard mailer so double wrapped, shipping done properly!

[​IMG]

3. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

And I would assume the seller is Bear Family.

Got to wonder how much SecondSpin would charge for it when they are paying $50 for them. Probably $1,000 or more.

We Pay: $50.75

4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

During the sale the Anita Carter box was listed as "needs to be ordered" (as in OOS not OOP), then it was just OOP and now goes for like 600 bucks. Yeesh.

Oh well.

5. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I enjoy seeing activity on this thread, because I've been buying Bear Family releases since the early 90's. I remember the first set that I ever saw was the 8-cd CLASSIC JERRY LEE LEWIS. When I saw the price, I wondered who would spend that much money for cds? A few dozen box-sets later, I know who buys them:). I've enjoyed watching Bear Family release exciting box sets from many of my favorite artists.

Not sure if I'm imagining it or not, but it seems like the availability of the Bear box sets has diminished in the past few years, and particularly when the new distribution deal went into effect. I know that the number of music stores dwindled in that time as well, so it could be two-fold. Regardless, it's hard to find good deals on the box-sets, either new or used. It seems that you could occasionally find a seller selling new ones on Amazon at a great price. I know that it was much easier to find good deals on ebay a few years ago, as opposed to now. A few years ago, it seemed that if you were patient, you'd find what you were looking for, and often at a good price. These days, finding them at second hand at a good price is a tougher task. Even the marketplace on this forum would reflect this as well(or so I think).

I was introduced to Bear Family because I was a huge Jerry Lee Lewis fan. I own the Sun cd box set, and the 2 Mercury/Smash boxes. In addition, I own the 3 boxes(30 lps) of the Mercury/Smash period. Non-boxes include the church, live, and Southern Roots cds. I would like to have the new mega-set from Bear Family covering Jerry's Sun years, but I don't expect to ever find that one at a reasonable price. For my wallet, the availability has been a blessing, but for the music-lover, I'd like to pick up a few more of their boxes.

Have any other members cut back on buying Bear Family boxes, or does this seem to vary by region? I was in Nashville a month ago, and when I hit the record stores, I didn't see many Bear Family sets. Ernest Tubb had some(seems like they've carried BF as long as I can remember), however, the stores like Grimey's, Great Escape, McKays didn't have any on hand.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My days of buying Bear Family have faded, but mostly due to the fact that I had acquired so many. I believe the rarity of good used deals on-line might result from automated pricing software schemes, where one dealer only undercuts another dealer by pennies. The prices are set close to that dealer wanting the most money. My guess is that such places like Amazon Marketplace have been heavily biased (by Amazon) against small time dealers, like a family or individual trying to sell a collection, typically at give-away prices. Bear Family itself has often entered poor distribution agreements in the USA which seriously discouraged independent shops from carrying their merchandise. This preceded the really bad agreement from a few years back. Bear Family products were never common in record/CD shops anywhere in the USA. A few well known dealers struggled to offer them.

7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I prefer the artist focused sets, so I guess my Bear buying has dwindled as the newer sets, while still great, have taken a different approach. There are still a few on my list that I'm tracking down but I gotta space them out, especially if I dare try to snag any that are OOP. I'm still holding out hope that they may take on Loretta Lynn, more Carter family/sisters or continue Connie Smith or Wanda Jackson sets.

I still have my eye on Bear.

8. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

9. Svein Arne

10. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

That's exactly how I feel about Bear Family these days. I have absolutely no interest in these box sets featuring various artists.

RSteven, Tribute and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Same here, I'm not a big compilation or a 'greatest hits' kind of guy anyway.
    I still enjoy seeing and reading about the compilation Bear sets, but I'm not in the market to purchase though.
    Glad they are out there keeping stuff like the 'Starday' Custom box set, just to preserve music history if nothing else.

12. Rick Bartlett

The superstar himself, the guy that started it all (and it's not Elvis!)..... The man himself, Richard Weize.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anybody who owns Anything! to do with Bear Family, has this guy to Thank.
    :tiphat:

13. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I agree. I’ve been enjoying the Bakersfield set for the past few week. It’s beautiful and was well worth what I paid for it, but it’s hard to sit and just listen to it without constantly picking up the book and searching for who is singing. I’ve learned a lot, but I wish now that we could get a complete Bobby Austin set, early Tony(Johnny) Booth, Bob Morris, Herb Henson, Lewis Tally and others. It would have been nice to have the unreleased Haggard tracks though. I’m sure Theresa Haggard and her lawyer had a good reason to get them removed, but it’s a shame and I’m sure Merle would have loved them being released.

Another harsh reality when I’m searching for Bear products is that I own a ton now and it’s getting hard to find what I need. I’m all country/rockabilly and I convinced myself I don’t need the new Fats Domino as I could spend then money getting a few other sets.

Ernie B/Millions of Records has awesome Bear Family prices, he told me he’s going to be getting a few more titles in stock in coming weeks. I have my eyes on the first Bill Monroe set and Chuck Wagon Gang.

14. Svein Arne

In late 80s i sent a long list of music i wanted released on CD to Richard.Most everything on that long list has been released the way i wanted it:pleased:.I hope i sometimes in the future will see the list completely released,looks great so far.:tiphat:

15. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I didn't realize he was selling Bear Family products again. Those prices weren't bad. I've been looking at the Haggard TROUBADOUR set for quite a while.

melstapler and AlmanacZinger like this.
  16. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Richard Weize will be in Bakersfield next week!

[​IMG]

17. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the reported issues with the Ray Price box (missing harmony vocals on multiple tracks as well as missing steel guitar on others) were ever corrected or even addressed?

I love Bear and have many boxes, but have to say their communication leaves a ton to be desired. Many boxes appear to have gone OOP (including one of the George Jones sets) and we hear that they repress / reprint all the time but can't get any responses on specific questions on FB or via email. Issues like the Acuff DVD and Price CDs get reported by buyers and are greeted by silence.

They are good people who work really hard and I appreciate all they do; I just think a little openness would get them even more goodwill.

For those interested, Bill Anderson wrote in one of his newsletters within the last few months that Bear did contact him about doing a second box. It will be interesting to see if this materializes given the alleged fate of the Decca masters.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I actually wish I had not purchased the Bakersfield set. Money is getting tighter and I should have saved it for something else. No more compilation mixed bag products for me.

Record Rotator, rod and Steve...O like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many of the single CDs have been out of print for years

20. Rick Bartlett

I'd love to shake Richard's hand. Wish I were a couple of miles closer.....

RSteven likes this.
  21. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Don't know what you mean by "get reported", but everyone who told Bear Family about their faulty Roy Acuff DVD (it was only an issue with the first batch of boxes) got a replacement disc.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  22. Svein Arne

Can i send my faulty Roy Acuff DVD to Bear Family and get a working DVD in return?

23. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Why not?
    (When did you buy it – only the first few copies had the faulty disc...)

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  24. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Yes, I still wish there was some explanation about the Ray Price set. The songs missing background vocals were recorded after Van Howard was gone and Ray was overdubbing his own harmony vocals.

melstapler likes this.
  25. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I guess that's your explanation right there.

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.