Best audio path from old school Mac Mini to older school AV Receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CoachD, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a circa 2005 Mac Mini. It works fine playing to my cheap computer speakers via the headphone jack, but when plugging into my old 1998 Denon AVR2400 via the headphone jack the sound quality from my ripped CD (WAV) files was noticeably inferior to the original CDs played through my Marantz CC 67.

I'd like to connect to my stereo (or possibly my Mackie Mixer in the Mancave studio) to hear my ripped library at something close to the same quality as my current CD player.

The Mac Mini has USBs, an old FireWire, and the headphone jack. Recently I've started ripping Apple Lossless to save space on my drive.

What's the best way ($50 budget) to connect to the RCA analog in's on my studio/AV equipment?

Cheap USB DAC? Will this be better than my headphone jack?

Thanks for any help.

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Does the audio line out double as analog/digital? If so, fit a mini-Toslink adaptor onto the end of an optical cable, and stick the other end into a standard Toslink input on your receiver (assuming it has one).

3. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

That was my thought as well until I saw his receiver equipment doesn’t appear to have an optical in. (I’m also not sure that vintage MacMini has optical out on the phone jack.)

How about a Topping D3 DAC off eBay? Connect the USB out of MacMini to the DAC and connect line level outputs to your receiver.

gd0 likes this.
  4. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Nope. These old G4 mini's are analog out only. The optical output was added in the later generation.

5. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I have an old mac mini core solo with optical out I will sell cheep.

6. CoachD

Correct the old mini only has an analog headphone out.

My all analog receiver was probably the last model before Dolby Digital became standard on most everything.

7. CoachD

Hopefully I will upgrade to a newer Mac Mini or iMac in the next 12 months, but unless I get a different (digital compatable) receiver for the Mancave I figure I'll still require some sort of DAC.

I'm sort of attached to the old receiver. It's my analog mothership with the ins and outs for my retro gear (VCR, CDR, Tape deck, 80s Hitachi turntable...).

8. souladdikt

I think you might as well try the analog out straight to your receiver. Save your $50 to put toward a dac when you upgrade. Or maybe try to find a used Audioquest Dragonfly Black you can use for portable/headphone use too.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    D700 likes this.
  9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Reread the second sentence of the OP.

souladdikt likes this.
  10. souladdikt

Thanks, missed that. Well, then, Topping, AQ, or FiiO are the only budget DACs I've heard. I used them with my old Macbook Air and thought they were better than the built in headphone out for headphone use. But even those are above the OP's budget at $75-100 new.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I was going to suggest the same but purchase used to get it in the $50-$60 range...

12. CoachD

Yes, I came across this one during my brief search. Seems like it fits my current and potential future needs.

13. CoachD

Just checked and my Mac OS is 10.4.11...

Looks like Dragonfly needs 10.6

14. CoachD

So going back to the headphone jack...

Does it matter how the iTunes volume and computer volume are set to get optimum performance going into a receiver/preamp?

A regular CD player just sends an unamplified line level signal, right?

Headphone jacks are expecting to be "driving" a set of headphones, right? I assimed that's why to EQ seemed off to me during my previous experiments with the headphone jack.

15. violarules

violarules Senior Member

If you have the EQ flat and the output not too hot, it should be okay.

16. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Can the Mini do USB to analog? For example: MD Community Page: Xitel MDPORT-AN1
    Something like that, anyway. Really cheap on Ebay and might be worth a shot. I recall those old Minis somewhat less than fondly. Had one, single-core, and you had to use a plastic putty knife to get the thing open—but at least you could get it open and upgrade RAM & HDD.

17. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

18. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

The Behringer UAC202 is under $30. Check out the nwavguy review. Try the mini analog out first, though. It might be good enough!

The Topping D10 or D3 would be great if you can stretch the budget.

19. CoachD

I did try the the headphone jack last night into my PA (mixer, power amp, passive speakers) and other than the amp fan noise it was pretty good to my ears.

I think that without a direct comparison to a CD in a player I'd be satisfied with the current results.

I'm still a little concerned about having 3-5 volume knobs between the source and my speakers. But I guess the itunes and Mac Mini volumes would still be in play even with a new DAC added to the chain.

20. CoachD

21. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Another cheapskate alternative is the Chromecast Audio, out of production but still available online for under $40. You'd use wifi which would require some free software. The analog output is fine.

I'll second the reassurances about volume controls on USB dacs. You'd run them full out (or maybe slightly less) and use your receiver or computer for level adjustments.

22. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

You are wanting to listen to music through the speakers on this system, correct?

23. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

Yes maybe someone else can chime in on whether there are any Mac OS version requirements for the Topping.

24. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

The MacMini system volume control disappears when you output to a USB DAC. The iTunes volume control still exists but you run that at full volume and it doesn’t mess with the data stream.

25. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Not the cheapest solution, but I have been using a Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC connected via USB to a 2007 Mac Mini and love the way it sounds through my old school stereo.

Looks like they have a Modi 3 available now for $99. Perhaps you could find a used Modi 2 Uber at a favorable price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.